PDA

View Full Version : AKL...enough to do and see?

Tink33333
02-01-2008, 08:39 PM
I am working on plans for the summer and I desperately want to stay at AKL...I'm considering staying a few nights at a value so I can do this.

My question is this...

...if the family does most of the park hopping while at the value, is there enough to keep the kids busy and the adults happy too if we just do the resort stuff while staying at AKL?:mickey3:

ThanxForNoticin
02-01-2008, 08:58 PM
That's an interesting question. I can tell you that the AKL is probably our favorite resort. We like to stay there anytime we can manage it. The look and feel are amazing and relaxing. But if you are planning to just spend your time at the resort, how might that work?

Well, you do have the savannahs full of animals (perhaps even a savannah view from your room). Nighttime viewing of the animals is a blast.... The pool is terrific (nice poolside bar).... The restaurants (Boma and Jiko) are among the best at Disney, counter service at Mara is our favorite CS, and the gift shop is exceptional.

The slight down side to AKL is you are away from most things. There is no lake to go boating and you can't walk to a park for a few hours - but that's true of the value resorts, as well. But the bus service is very efficient.

I don't know if any of this helps you or not. But if you have wanted to stay at AKL and can manage it for a night or two, I don't think you'll regret it. Have a great trip.

snerd475
02-01-2008, 09:40 PM
Yes, yes, yes. Me and my dd9 stayed at AK in Sept, and we could've easily spent every waking hour there, between the pool, savannah, and arcade. Oh, yeah, eating might figure into it as well! (My kid could easily forget about eating all day!)

I loved the resort and would highly recommend it, even if you don't get a savannah view. Who cares when you can walk down the hall and see the animals from the deck?

Do it!

NLODisney
02-02-2008, 08:47 AM
There are crafts to do during the day and also cookie making I believe at Jiko in the afternoon. There are CM that give tours of the resort, story telling in the evening, you can get a list of clues to find hidden mickeys, art work throughout the lodge to see and much more including the animal viewing and the pool and hot tubs, playground and arcade. We could easily spend alot of time here, in fact on our last trip there in Nov we were all disappointed we didn't get to spend more time there. Also the gift shop has some really awesome items. There is also a time when kids can be in a parade and play instruments which looked fun.If you find yourself getting bored with what you can do there go to DTD for part of the time or head over to the Boardwalk that's fun. You could also go over to one of the resorts and watch the electric water parade that starts at 9 at the Poly I think and you could also catch the MK fireworks while doing this. Have a fun trip!

jefmblrd
02-02-2008, 10:29 AM
We stayed there a few years ago, and I can't recommend it enough. It is such a gorgeous place, the food is fabulous-especially Boma, and there is much to do. We even had a CM on the International program take us on an impromptu tour of the resort which was a highlight of our stay there.