PDA

View Full Version : I saw something very disturbing

JPL
02-01-2008, 03:20 PM
Last week while at DTD I noticed the Big time traders outside of the pin store and they had set up shop and I do mean literally. I heard them not only trading pins but selling pins. Later in the week there were a few people outside of Pin Central with their pins set up for trading and I was looking at their pins and a guest asked about a pin and the person that one will cost you $50 all in earshot of the CMs. I found it rather disturbing that Disney would allow guests to sell pins to other guests in the parks and at DTD and in front of 2 of their biggest pin selling venues. I was going to mention it a CM but the CM walked and addressed the person by name and said hi so I figured it wouldn't do any good.

CleveSJM
02-01-2008, 04:19 PM
That is disturbing unless he was just commenting on value and not offering it for sale.

Soliciting on WDW grounds... I wonder if Disney worked some kind of deal with those power traders/sellers. Not right even if they did. Keep it nice and fair trading on premises.

I know in 2006, my uncle-in-law saw a pin in one of the big time trader's book and asked him "How much?" and the guy told him to go into the store and buy a regular pin for $8 (or whatever the regular price was) and he'd then trade him for it.

JPL
02-02-2008, 10:59 PM
They were selling not giving values some of the pins in the book I saw even had prices on them :mad:

crazeedizneefinatic
02-07-2008, 03:46 PM
That is disturbing. I remember seeing that also, not the selling, but a guy with books and books of pins spread out. My son had just got into collecting that year and wanted to see some of the pins. I was right there with him and would never allow him to distroy the pins. We were stearnly advised how collectible the pins were, as if to say don't let anyone touch them. We were immediately turned off and walked away. The guy was just plain rude. I guess he figured we had no idea what we were doing and my son definately would not have anything he would be interested in so he had no intention of speaking with us.

jjramsey
02-25-2008, 12:36 PM
Yes, dealing with many of the 'big' pin traders is a pain.

The way our family has dealt with it is that we focus on cast lanyard series pins. Most of the big traders turn up their noses at cast lanyard pins, so if we see cast lanyards in a trader's book, we know that they will probably be fairly nice ;) and not so predatory. :shark:

AXOAlum
05-26-2008, 07:57 PM
I am new to trading - what is a "big time" trader?? I want to know who/what to avoid when we go in September. Feel free to PM me if it is something we can't discuss on the boards - thanks! :mickey:

KineGirl
05-26-2008, 09:57 PM
Im fairly surprised that nothing was done! My Mom is a CM and has many times complained to me about what she terms "pin sharks". There isnt a whole lot they can do about those ppl trading other guests no matter how unscrupulous or dishonest they are about pin values but to actually "set up shop" on Disney property is something else all together! No outside solicitation of any form is allowed on property. Ive never seen what youre referring to but I have seen the sharks at pin stations trading off virtually worthless pins for unknowing guests more valuable or limited pins - telling them that their pin is worth more than it really is...sometimes even to kids! The only thing I can think of is that the CM probably could do nothing themselves but report the shark to the higher ups. Or its a job for security. Ppl like that are the main reason why I exclusively trade with CMs. I do keep "traders" in my bag/pocket for kids who approach me wanting to trade or if I see a kid being good or to occupy one in a queu but I couldnt even imagine letting a child (or any guest for that matter!) trade me a valuable or limited pin! :mad:

Unbelievable!

JPL
05-27-2008, 09:40 AM
Well other stories I have heard makes me think these Mega Pin Traders have changed their methods a little they have a value on the Pins and tell you what pins to purchase for them equaling the value they have listed. So if they have a Value of $60 on the pin they want you to enter the Pin shop and buy a specific list of pins equal to the $60 value they have listed on the pin. I still don't think this should be allowed either.

Pop Centurion
07-04-2008, 12:40 AM
I see these practices destroying the hobby just as it did sports cards.

I_am_ts
07-04-2008, 10:24 AM
There is a mix of traders there on different days. Some of the traditional traders are just fantastic. They do not give you pin values and such - they just trade.

There are also some pin sharks there - so just be careful.

We have had many wonderful pin trading experiences with the traditional traders there.

TinkRocks
07-08-2008, 02:23 AM
I am new to trading - what is a "big time" trader?? I want to know who/what to avoid when we go in September. Feel free to PM me if it is something we can't discuss on the boards - thanks! :mickey:

At Downtown Disney's Pin Traders store, there is an area just outside the store where pin traders can display their pins.

There are some fantastic people (pin traders) I have encountered and love to chat / share information and trade with you.

However, there are some pin traders who are not that social and are only interested in trading if you have a pin they are looking for.

doombuggy
07-16-2008, 01:11 PM
I don't know what the "rules" are regarding this type of issue. I don't work in that shop or area, but if I saw/heard what you did, I would report it to a mgr, assuming that what this person was doing was not allowed.

Unfortunately, there are some not-so-nice-people that visit and I hope you don't encounter anymore! :mickey:

tink2006
07-16-2008, 06:13 PM
We ran into Pin Traders at DS outside the pin station. It was a couple that had all of their books laid out and were trading. They had a pin that my son had been looking for since last year. They did not want any of the "traders" my son had so they suggested that we buy one from the pin station. I went in and talked to the CM. I wanted to make sure they were as nice as they appeard to be. The CM stated that just as long as they were trading and not selling it was OK. Also, this was a couple that spent a lot of time trading there and normally made fair trades.

Long story short...She went in and picked an $8.00 pin that we purchased for the trade. My son got his long awaited pin in trade. All were happy.

tinkerbellybutton
07-17-2008, 12:14 PM
That is horribly disturbing. Ds has Asperger's and when we went to Disney last time he came out of his shell to trade. We told him if he wanted to trade then he had to approach people. It was amazing, he would have been devastated to fall for a pin only to find out we can't afford it. That really burns me up!:mad:

MickeyMousse
07-18-2008, 11:28 AM
On our last trip, my DS (10 y/o) stopped to look at a traders book when the trader noticed a special pin on my DS's lanyard:it was only given to CM's a few years ago, and was a goldtone Mickey icon with the word "dream" on it. A friend who was a valet at YC gave it to him. Well, the trader saw it and hounded my son so bad that I had to step in and tell him to back off. The trader was a larger man and my DS quickly felt uncomfortable when approached, especially when the man started to follow him another trader's table! My DH grabbed a CM (we were at the Epcot station by the info board) and the CM told the trader he'd have to stop or be removed from the park. Needless to say, when we returned to our resort we took the pin off.

VolMickey
07-20-2008, 09:29 AM
Pin trading should be a hobby to enhance the Disney experience. Some folks just need to get a life, if it goes beyond that.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
08-06-2008, 08:27 PM
And that is why I stopped pin trading.

I hate the sharks. The ones who will clean out all of the pins on CM's in one shot.

Bah, fair trade act!

One pin for one pin. No money, just metal. And above all, to have fun. There is one trader I love running into because he is a great trader - lots of good pins but very fair and sometimes, really way too nice.

Jim&AngieMarriner
10-19-2008, 02:06 AM
This is for AXOAlum
Granted I havent been since 02 but I saw the Pin Sharks out then too. A power trader didnt want any of the pins we had (we had just started) and figured we were desperate for the pin I was looking for. He asked us to buy his Daughter $50 of merchandise for the pin. Needless to say we left without the pin. When we got home we found the pin on ebay for 8 bucks. The lesson here is just like any other kind of shopping, dont let impulsiveness get you in trouble. You can normaly do better than selling your soul to these sharks. :shark:

Ebay is usefull in other ways as well. Before your trip, you can buy large lots of older pins for trade stock. As long as you buy from a trustworthy seller, you can get pins for as low as $1.60 or so per pin. Then you can take your trader pins and "trade up" with CMs. Personally, I wouldnt do this with a guest unless they ask you for one of your older ones. Hope this Helps.

Jim :peter:

laughingplace<3
12-19-2008, 07:09 PM
I have been to several pin trading events at World of Disney in NYC and have experienced similar encounters with rude people. I have asked to see pins and been given numerous lectures about how valuable the pins are, etc. Although there is no rule about how friendly and courteous you must be to others in pin trading, there definitely should be! I don't like people using the excuse that they are just trying to make trades, because I'm positive that pin trading was brought up on the idea of having fun and being kind and friendly to others.

People have also been very rude when you make offers and have looked down upon some of my pins, which is just downright insulting. These people should find a new hobby, because pin trading obviously wasn't meant for them.

whymsycalwitch
12-26-2008, 09:52 PM
After seeing this thread I just had to post. I've been holding this in for a long while.

I myself only trade with CM. I hate the feeling of rejection and can't imagine someone doing that to a child. I'm not saying that just because someone asks you to trade that you have to or should. I'm just saying that the extra comentary given is not needed. No is no and I understand that. But "no thank you is nicer to hear" and I'm not interested in the bragging about how much you feel your pin and pin collection is worth. I also don't feel that you need to insult me by saying that I have nothing of value or nothing worthy of trading.

I also, like laughingplace ] have gone to WOD NYC for their pin trading Saturdays. I have left there feeling like **** because of the way some of these pin sharks have treated me and my mom. I'm there to have fun, make friends, even learn something new about trading, pins etc. So I stopped trying to trade with them and now only trade with the CM. Which is sometimes almost impossilbe because of the way these sharks sworm and jump in line when the covidited pin vest comes out.

"They are just pieces of pretty painted metal" I heard someone say once. I agree. Yes, we all love the pins but they aren't worth loosing my values and manners over. If it was just about the pins I would just buy them all off ebay and not worry about interacting with anyone. I love the trading. The talking to people from all over the country and world. And I don't think you should have to buy someone $50 in merchandise or other pins just to get a trade.

So all of that to tell you this little story. I only where my traders on my lanyard while in the parks. Anything on there is a pin I'm not crazy about or something I might have doubles of or maybe even those great ones you can get for $1 if you spent the magic amount. My mom, sister-in-law and I made a special birthday trip in February for me. They call me a pin pimp because I had them both wear lanyards to trade for me with. We were sitting on the bus heading to MK and three young children were sitting across from us admiring our pins. We heard their father say to them that we didn't have to trade with them like the CM's so we probably wouldn't be interested in what they had and they should wait till they got to the park. My DSIL turned to him and said that if they wanted to trade with us that we would be more than happy to trade with them. He told her that they had some ****** choices. I told him that it was ok we would love to trade with them. I think we ended up trading about 8 or 9 pins to them. And yes the pins they gave us weren't anything we wanted and a few we already had like some booster pins and $1 ones. It was ok because when I got into the park and traded with the CM it didn't matter that what I had to trade whether it was my ****** pin or one of theirs it was a trader none the same. It was a great feeling to brighten these kids mornings.

It is sad that some people have to tarnish something so great. And not just for children for adults too. I’m not very outgoing and I can be quite shy but pin trading really brings me out of my shell and gives me great confidence that I can talk to people and share something in common with them. It is a lot of fun for me, DM and DSIL it gives us something else we can do together. We get great joy hunting down the complete set of cast lanyard pins and things like that.

dmosher
12-27-2008, 12:37 AM
OK OK... I have to say this.. anytiem the word trading is used in as a verb it should be a hobby (unless the word STOCK appears before it).

I mean seriously. THAT is your JOB? Hounding small children to get something personal off of them and make $$ from that? DOn'[t get me wrong I have had some pretty ****** jobs in my lifetime, but seriously... when your at a dinner party and a friend asks you.. " Hey, what do you do for a living?" How do you reply to that. Uhmm yeah I take a joyfu,l fun hobby that families can do with each other for fun and turn it into a corrupt, evil, capitalist venture all for the sake of the few dollars I am able to squeeze out of little Johnny and family". Nice, real nice.

I have seen these pressure sellers actually say, " GO away, you have nothing for me", to a very nice family. Seeing the look on that little girl's face; I walked right over let the man have it full on. Then went to a managing CM and made certain that the seller was asked to leave. A proud day for me I can tell you and the family thanked me which wasn't necessary but wonderful to hear.

In short, it's a fun hobby that MOST of us enjoy, let's keep it at that!
:pipes:
D

CaptainSad
02-04-2009, 04:32 PM
You know. What do you think the odds are that you go to DTD to the Pin store and you are talking to one of the traders that has set up shop outside and you find out it is someone you buy pins on ebay with. Would you say 15 mil to 1? Well how about 1 to 1. Back in October of 2004 I met someone (from Florida and I'm from Massachusetts)that I had been dealing with for 4 years. I must have bought 100's of pins from him. Most at costs less then what Disney sells them for at the parks. We got to talking about how he does his trading there. If you have one on you that he doesn't have he will trade right on the spot. If he has something you want and you don't, he will tell you what he needs and you go in and buy it for trade. He will not ask you to go in for higher priced pin then what you want. If it is one he got for 6.50 then you go in and get the pin he needs for 6.50 and so on. I haven't met anybody there or EPCOT that were trying to stick it to you. Most are reasonable...