PDA

View Full Version : Need dining advice!

weezie77
02-01-2008, 11:49 AM
My boyfriend and I will be in Disney World next month (no kids).
It's hard for me to make reservations so far in advance, but I have made these -
Liberty Tree Tavern - Dinner - Friday
Le Cellier -Lunch -Saturday
Brown Derby - Dinner - Sunday (2 credits though)

I'm wavering between replacing one with Sci Fi Dine in and Coral Reef.

Any suggestions???

MMouse6937
02-01-2008, 11:54 AM
IMHO I would NOT replace Le Cellier, it's the best (and hardest to get) meal on property. I unfortunately have never been to LTT or The Brown Derby, but I can tell you I have been to both the Sci Fi and Corral Reef. Most people will tell you here that they don't like the Sci Fi, we always have a great time, but they food is average. The atmosphere is great. The Corral Reef was wonderful when we went there in Sept. Great view, wonderful food, great service, DH definately wants to go back again next trip (and he doesn't say that very often!)

I hope I was helpful and not confusing. Good luck deciding, it's my favorite part! :thumbsup:

Kairi_7378
02-01-2008, 12:54 PM
I agree that you shouldn't cancel your LeCellier reservation, unless you're not big steak people. The Brown Derby is a great restaurant, but some will argue that it isn't the best use of 2 credits on the dining plan. (It's one of the "cheaper" signature restaurants.) I'd consider switching your LTT reservation for Coral Reef if you want to try that restaurant.

diz_girl
02-01-2008, 01:03 PM
Ditto on not cancelling your LeCellier reservation. Ditto also about changing the Brown Derby reservation. You might want to try Narcoossee's at the Grand Floridian. The food and service are the best that I've had on WDW peoperty. You can time your reservation with Wishes and go out on the deck to watch.

lockedoutlogic
02-01-2008, 01:16 PM
Oh come on now...Le Cellier is not the best meal on property....it's good...but please

The praise of Le Cellier always is a little too inflated on boards such as these...

SBETigg
02-01-2008, 01:19 PM
I agree- Le Cellier is good, but it is by no means the best meal on property. The Brown Derby is also good, but for two credit dining, we prefer California Grill or Narcoossee's, truly special meals.

I would not cancel anything for Coral Reef or Sci-Fi.

mook3y
02-01-2008, 01:32 PM
I like Le Cellier, wouldn't change that.

We would do Narcoossee's over Brown Derby though.

MissStyles
02-01-2008, 01:34 PM
If you're going to a restaurant that's 2 credits I would replace The Brown Derby with The California Grill or as mentioned above Narcoosee's. By the way, welcome to INTERCOT! :mickey:

MsMin
02-01-2008, 01:38 PM
I would go to Coral Reef before LeCellier. I wasn't impressed after the rave reviews we heard. Our service was slow, the soup was too salty and the steak was just that, enjoyable w/ better service but not incredible.
I do recommend at least one TS meal b/c there is just too much food and w/ our experience we've preferred fewer better meals.
I like to get my monies worth w/ the DDP so I pick the higher end TS. I would cancel LTT for Coral Reef. I'm not impressed with the WDW buffets especially using them for a TS I prefer to use them when I want to manage my dining budget. Save Sci Fi for lunch or a shake-- something light OOP.

vamaggie
02-01-2008, 01:50 PM
I would also replace LTT unless you really want a character meal. The food is traditional Thanskgiving food and not that great IMHO.

weezie77
02-01-2008, 03:26 PM
Thanks for all the response.

I was looking for a good restaurant in the magic kingdom that wasn't character oriented AND two credits, which is why I chose LTT.

Not sure where else to eat in MK!

Maybe I should just save the credit for elsewhere

SBETigg
02-01-2008, 03:34 PM

I was looking for a good restaurant in the magic kingdom that wasn't character oriented AND two credits, which is why I chose LTT.

LTT is a character meal. And honestly, there are far better restaurants outside the MK. The table service places at the MK are not great. But-- if you take a break from the park and make a short boat ride to the Grand Floridian or Polynesian, you can have a wonderful meal and a chance to check out those resorts. Try: Grand Floridian Cafe, 'Ohana, or Kona Cafe. Or use your counter service credits in the MK and have a great meal elsewhere with the credits at a different time.

BelleLovesTheBeast
02-01-2008, 03:44 PM
In the MK my husband and I really enjoyed Tony's Town Square. We ate there for lunch and really enjoyed. The food was good and the service was great. You have to save room for dessert because their dessert trio is fantastic.

chicade88
02-01-2008, 06:36 PM

I wouldn't cancel your reservation quite yet! The LTT is half of the reason I could even convince my own boyfriend (no kids) to return this year. We had an absolute blast and thought the food was great! Possibly the best meal of the trip and the only restaurant we're repeating!

Natazu
02-01-2008, 07:36 PM
Brown Derby – Better Than Sci-Fi, better than Coral Reef
Le Cellier – Better than Sci-Fi, better than Coral Reef
Liberty Tree (dinner) – Better than Sci-Fi but not even close to Coral Reef
Waffle House – Better than Sci-Fi
Food Court at WalMart - better than Sci-Fi

Note on LTT – If you’re looking for good food with characters inside MK, LTT is better than Crystal Palace.

Jared
02-01-2008, 10:38 PM
Looking at your post, I'd keep the reservations you already have. Like Jym said, the Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater is just plain bad. Honestly, it's probably the worst restaurant in Walt Disney World. The atmosphere is cool the first time, but the restaurant is good only for a quick milkshake and maybe some onion rings.

As other posters said, Liberty Tree Tavern for dinner is a character meal, but don't let that deter you. It's my favorite character meal, and it's definitely better than the traditional choices like Crystal Palace and Chef Mickey's.

I think you made good dining decisions. Now go enjoy them.

:tasty:

Crow
02-02-2008, 05:09 AM
i was gonna quote 2 of the above but couldnt decide which...
i agree. Le Cellier good but not the best place.
from what ive heard & remember, dont think of SciFi.
LTT havent done but a friend had lunch in Dec & likes the place
Coral Reef not bad but dont know if ill go back anytime soon.
Brown Derby i liked both times i was there...not sure if i would use 2 credits though.
as has been said CA Grill great, 2 credits & you can walk there from MK or monorail.
If you go between your choices, i would stick w what you have

jefmblrd
02-02-2008, 10:44 AM
If you are going to use 2 TS credits, then I would recommend you try to get ADRs at the California Grill in the Contemporary Resort. It's the best food I've ever had in WDW, and it overlooks the Magic Kingdom. If you can get ADRs for a time when Wishes is going on, then it is truly magical.

I also really like Narcoosees (2 TS) in the Grand Floridian and Boma (1TS) in AKL.

I've never eaten at Le Cellier, but all reports are that it is excellent.

I've heard mixed reviews on Brown Derby and Coral Reef. I've never eaten in either, but had enough people on the boards tell me it wasn't worth it on my last trip to WDW.

Sci-Fi has a really cool atmosphere, but I've consistently heard the food was nothing special.

Mom2princesses
02-02-2008, 03:50 PM
Just wanted to let you know that LTT is not a character meal for lunch. There is a also a separate menu for lunch.

GrmGrninGost
02-02-2008, 10:29 PM
IMHO, leave Sci-Fi out of it! As far as Coral Reef, at this moment it is my favorite WDW TS site. Our last few trips, the best meal we had was at Coral Reef! Also, the atmosphere is breathtaking! I love watching the sharks, rays, turtles, etc. while I am eating! It is awesome!! :mickey: