PDA

View Full Version : WDW and Shuttle Launch Need Locals Advice

c&d
02-01-2008, 10:26 AM
Hi, we will be down at Disney in April when there is a scheduled shuttle launch. DH being an astronomer and me working in the field thought it would be neat to see a launch. Now I know the chances are that the launch will happen on the actual date are dicey but, we figured we'd give it a try. Anyway here's my question for those who have seen a launch. Where would you recommend we see it from? I've heard the best place to see the launch is on the causeway, which causeway are they talking about. I've poked around on the NASA website and found you can buy tickets is it worth going that route. The launch is scheduled for 8:00am, so is it best to spend the night near there or just leave wicked early in the morning?

This will only be the second time we've managed to be down when there's a launch scheduled. The first time was 8/06 when it was delayed for the hurricane.

Thanks for your help.

DisneyDudet
02-01-2008, 10:50 AM
We were down there in 2002 when the Endevour was launched. We went ahead and tried to get to Cocoa Beach to watch from there, but traffic for the launch was too heavy, but we made it to the NASA Visitor's Center. We watched it from the parking lot, for free. My grandfather actually worked on numerous space missions, and he was with us. Him seeing part of his creation was just great. He was so happy. Anyway, it was a pretty good view, except for trees, but once they got over them, you still had a few min of vision. And the way it FELT is AMAZING! Nothing can express what the feeling of it was. Just so crazy.

Now, what you need to do, is on the day of Launch, call 800-572-4636 to see if it is a go. Usually the news will be up to date in the mornings and such. Sometimes, early morning flights will either be a go or no go in the evening. I wouldn't bank on it actually launching on the day, as the one we saw was delayed a week and a half, so booking a hotel would not be a good thing. We just called and listened to the news and everything before we left. We knew when the next chance was, we'd take our cell to the park, call about an hour before we'd have to leave, to find out if it was a go, and listen to the radio on the way there.

I know most people have said that it can be seen from WDW.

Anyway, that's what we did, so thats all I can tell you!

Not2Loud
02-01-2008, 12:34 PM
I grew up in Titusville, right across from the launch pads.

Just take 528 over to I-95, go north a mile or so on I-95, then Hwy 50 East to US 1. There are plenty of spots on Us1 for you to park and be right at the river watching the launch.

TheRustyScupper
02-02-2008, 12:19 PM
1) We go to Titusville and do US-1 or US-a1a.
2) You are about 3-4 miles away.
3) Seems like distance, but it really is the 50-yard line!
4) Especially for a night launch!
5) Man, the goosebumps !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOTE: There is actually a person about 2-miles away that has lagoon property and throws a party for every launch. It includes some refreshments and a band. Do a Google search. I can't remember his rate, but it also includes parking.

c&d
02-05-2008, 10:19 AM
Thanks for all your help.

MNNHFLTX
02-07-2008, 02:01 PM
Here is another thread with related information:

Shuttle Launch (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=95713&highlight=shuttle+launch)

Watching the launch from the special viewing site is a great experience. We did this several times when all you had to do was request them ahead of time or get them from a NASA employee. This was before they started selling tickets for the viewing or offering them as part of a package. You don't need the tickets to get a good view of the launch, but it is as close as you can get to the launch site without being a VIP.

As far as staying overnight there or driving, I would think you could just as well drive over in the morning, but yes, it will have to be really early. If you do end up buying tickets for the special viewing site, make sure you are there before the time stated on the tickets, as they restrict access at a certain timepoint before lift-off. Even for the "free" viewing sites off of the roadways, I would arrive at least an hour ahead of time to get a good parking spot. Bring breakfast to eat while you wait. :)