PDA

View Full Version : Sushi ?

KrystalR83
01-30-2008, 12:51 PM
Is there any counter service place that serves sushi? My brother wants to try it when we go but doesn't want to get it at a sit down restaurant in case he doesn't like it. Any information would be helpful.

Thank you :mickey:

ILoveLegos
01-30-2008, 01:26 PM
Yes, the Yakitori House has simple sushi, if I recall like california rolls - a nice introduction to sushi. It's the counter servie up the stairs (or ramp) to the left side of the Pavillion when standing on the promenade facing Japan. My family calls it "Mickey D's ala Japan". We always take in at least a snack here and the garden out side is so relaxing. Besides it's a great place to practice my conversational Japanese with the cast members.
Hope your brother likes sushi, I really do!

samefay
01-30-2008, 02:07 PM
Sunshine Seasons in the Land had this before (the food court area)
I guess it's still there - I didn't check this past trip.

mudpuppysmom
01-30-2008, 02:18 PM
We were just there last week (wow, the week went slow since we've been home!!) and Sunshine Seasons does still serve sushi. DH got his start on sushi there last Sunday afternoon and then also had it at Cali Grill Sunday night.

For the package he got it was $8.99 for about 6-8 pieces of sushi. They had spicy, veggie and a few other options to choose from -- sorry I can't remember them all. They are in the cold case down toward the dessert counter.

My cousin described it as a good way to start on sushi because it is not totally raw.

Now, DH is hooked!

disneylovinmom
01-30-2008, 07:07 PM
:thumbsup:If you want to try sushi, then Wolfgang Puck's Cafe has great sushi. We tried it for the first time in December and I loved it. We also had it at Epcot's Japan Pavillion, but it was not as good. I think there might be a bar that you can sit at and order sushi, but you can order it at a regular table if he would change his mind and consider a sit down restaurant. Get the suchi sampler. It comes with Edamame. Watch out for the wasabi though. Yikes! That tasted bad!!

Jared
01-30-2008, 08:16 PM
I agree with the earlier poster who suggested Yakitori House. California rolls are completely Americanized and a perfect introduction to authentic sushi and other Japanese cuisine.

Personally, I try to avoid prepackaged sushi from cold counters and refrigerators, so I've never had the stuff at Sunshine Season Food Fair.

:tasty:

laughingplace<3
01-30-2008, 09:24 PM
Wasabi is great! Just dab your sushi LIGHTLY in it- you don't have to even see the green on the sushi.

I say the best place to get the sushi is at Yakatori House, also because they are Japanese and know what they are doing. However, someone suggested Wolfgang Puck and maybe that sushi is good. I don't really know. I don't personally eat packaged sushi either :sick: fresh sushi is the way to go.

Crow
01-30-2008, 10:19 PM
my first sushi was at Kimonos in Swan/Dolphin
then in the Japan pavilion when it was the lounge. im looking forward to trying it now that its Tokyo Dining
Yakitori wasnt as good. but ok for cheaper intro
the best i had was CA Grill where they have 1 of the top sushi people.

samefay
01-31-2008, 08:58 AM
however, it can get very expensive!
I do think the Sunshine seasons is better than Yakitori house. I didn't try the new Tokyo dining yet but in the past the sushi there was good. There's also a very limited selection at Yakitori house. I had both the wolfgang puck cafe and the California Grill sushi last week. I liked them both but the California Grill was better, then again it was more expensive. Since we've been home I've been to my favorite sushi restaurant (still the best in my opinion) and had the refrigerated sushi from a grocery store (of course it's not as good, but I needed a fix) LOL
Always start with something with less "ick" factor like the California roll then you'll be eating eel and raw tuna in no time!!