PDA

View Full Version : Disney lowering hotel costs?

JWB3
01-30-2008, 11:47 AM
My DS16 and I were just half listening to the news this morning, and when the Bloomberg Business Report came on, thought we heard something about Disney lowering resort hotel costs. Did anyone else hear the same? Not sure if this is true or just wishful thinking - hey, it was 6:15 am!!

DisneyDD2
01-30-2008, 12:56 PM
That would be so sweeeeeeeeeet! I hope your 6:15 a.m. ears heard correctly.

BrerStitch
01-30-2008, 12:57 PM
Yesterday on CNN (TV) there was something about projected low park attendance with the possibility of a recession so Disney Stock might be affected. It's possible that the report you heard might be true, they might try to boost attendance with more specials.

DisneyDD2
01-30-2008, 12:57 PM
That would be so sweeeeeeeeeet! I hope your 6:15 a.m. ears heard correctly.

lockedoutlogic
01-30-2008, 01:52 PM
Having worked there from 00-02...I can tell you that "lowering hotel costs" on CNBC, Bloomberg, MSNBC, could mean something else entirely....

It could mean they are lowering "their" costs...as in decreasing workforce, outsourcing, or consolidation....

Though if they do have sagging attendance...they will most likely offer deals...but typically recessions hit everyone to a certain extent...what good is $20.00 off a room night if your disposable income decreases?

We'll see....

Disney's stock price is directly tied to it's parks...more specifically WDW
The revenue from the parks funds much of Disney's other "endeavours"...including all of the movies (dinosaur, treasure planet, home on the range) and alot of the internet and television branches as well....

ABC has to be taking great hits because of the screen writers guild strikes...as advertisers are probably not as eager to be shelling out the big bucks...

So it is in their best interest to keep the people coming....intensifying their European adverstising (with a weak dollar) is probably well underway

#1donaldfan
01-30-2008, 01:57 PM
They are doing some discounts, we've rec'd one for the first time in 4 years......It may just be luck of the draw, but I can attest to at least one discount......I'd love to see the prices go down, and if not them, bring down the price of gas, so I can drive there and not worry about selling a kidney.....:thedolls:

Polynesian Dweller
01-30-2008, 03:47 PM
The report was based on one analyst's belief that Disney occupancy rates would go down in recession. He then assumed that that would mean that rates would have to go down.

However, in an unusual move given that Disney reports results next Tuesday, the Disney CFO came out and refuted that analysis and indicated that room sales are actually ahead of last year's. So, unless something changes I wouldn't be counting on reductions at this point.

JWB3
01-30-2008, 03:48 PM
I went to Bloomberg online and may have found this morning's clip, but unfortunately no mention of lower rates. Sorry to raise any false hopes! I did see two report, one saying park income is up, another saying the opposite - so who knows?

pox24
01-31-2008, 08:28 AM
Right now all the hotels are at 90% at current rates. As long as this continiues They won't lower them at all. Thats just good business.

Auntie
01-31-2008, 12:22 PM
My DS16 and I were just half listening to the news this morning, and when the Bloomberg Business Report came on, thought we heard something about Disney lowering resort hotel costs. Did anyone else hear the same? Not sure if this is true or just wishful thinking - hey, it was 6:15 am!!

My husband called and said he had heard something similiar on the news while on his way to work. That reservations were not what they had anticipated, and that perhaps this was do to apprehension regarding a possible recession. Since we are hoping for a discount code..we took this as a good sign. We won't be going without one. I would never pay rack rate for a Deluxe resort...especially with what looks like some $400.00 for a room at the Poly?..Come on? I like a vacation as much as the next guy..but that's just nuts!