PDA

View Full Version : Recs for Value Resorts

2Princesses4Us
01-30-2008, 10:03 AM
Thanks so all who chimed in about the moderate vs. value resorts. While I really would rather stay in a moderate this fall, I think we're going to do the Value to keep the overall cost down. So, please help me decide which one we should book.
Regarding the value resorts:
1. Which do you prefer?
2. Best spot on the resort to request?
3. Bus lines?
4. Food lines?
5. any tips?

THANKS! :mickey:

jpH/keD
01-30-2008, 10:28 AM
I have only stayed at Movies and Sports. I think the price is the best around! I liked them ok, however the last time we were there we had issues w/ the bus transportations. The lines from the parks back to the hotels were super long and we had to stand many,mnay times on the bus. Here are my tips: If you are staying at a peak attendance time skip the food courts at the resorts and eat breakfast elsewhere! Those places were mad houses early in the mornings and much time was wasted(for us anyways!) We asked and paid for preferred rooms and supposedly were given them but don't waste that money. If I had it to do again I would just take the standard room and spend the extra money somewhere else! I was disappointed in our location, however it was quiet. We never had late night noise. Enjoy your stay!! The values are the best bang for your buck if you are going to be in the parks most of the time! Oh and btw, our kids LOVE the pools!!

CleveSJM
01-30-2008, 10:34 AM
Good choice! Worrying less about $ always makes for a better vacation.

1. Pop Century. Newer and dedicated buses. Stayed at Movies in October and they had dedicated buses too but I hear that isn't always true.
2. I don't recommend paying extra for preferred buildings. A little extra walking is nothing especially if you have your own car to park close to the building. We liked 50's a lot at PC.
3. PC, but we had good luck when we stayed at ASMovies as well.
4. Long everywhere. Try to go early or late to avoid the lines. Take breakfast back to the room... Sitting can be tough.
5. Avoid the main pool and use the side pool closest to your room. Less crowded = more fun. Enjoy the parks and don't spend a lot of time in the room. Spend time at the Boardwalk, DTD, and other resorts especially during busy breakfast and dinner times at the Values.

Kerry823
01-30-2008, 10:47 AM
We have stayed at all of the Value Resorts and would choose POP over all of them. First, it is the newest resort. Also, it has dedicated buses. The All-Stars share buses and they are CROWDED! We stayed in the 50's Building 2 and faced the bowling pin pool. I was a standard room and we were on the 2nd floor. It was great! We don't spend much time at the resort so we prefer to stay at the value resorts and extend our vacation to a longer stay.

On a previous trip, we stayed in the 90's section right after the resort opened. I was not impressed mainly because of service. It took me a while but I gave POP another try and we were very pleased. We are staying there again in April and are looking forward to it.

If I had to make a second choice, it would be All Star Movies. We preferred the theming and the pools.

Hope that helps!

disneymom15
01-30-2008, 10:55 AM
We've stayed at all 4 values. We prefer Pop for all the same reasons. Newer, own bus service, nicer food court. I also wouldn't pay extra for preferred room (not worth the extra $)

DisneyDD2
01-30-2008, 01:02 PM
I agree with Disneymom15- though, we've only stayed at ASmovies and Pop. My family's vote is for POP. The main reason- you don't share the buses.

crazeedizneefinatic
01-30-2008, 01:49 PM
I would have to say POP. The dedicated bus system alone is reason enough. As far as buildings I would choose a preferred location. I know its a bit more but the convenience is well worth it. We have stayed at the values before and not once was a request honored for a room when not preferred, I guess I am not lucky? Although we stayed at CBR last September and my request was not honored either, but they were ALOT nicer trying to accomodate. At the values I have always received the run around. It relieves alot of stress at checkin, you know you will have a room that is reasonable walking distance to the food area and buses, especially if you are traveling with children or someone older. I have found that the value food courts are JAMMED. But if you eat at off times it can be managed. Don't go at the height of breakfast rush, or before closing time at night, it is crazy. One of the things I do like about the POP food court is the frozen cokes! If you buy the refillable mug you can use it for them, pretty cool! POP also has an area for the kids like in Epcot. The water shoots out of the ground. I don't know if you are traveling with children but I am sure they would love it. My son really enjoyed being "caught" by the water. He was 5 at the time we stayed. We have also stayed at the ASM, it was okay but we liked POP better. We never stayed at ASsports. We visited once and the place looked really run down? Have a great trip!!

Marker
01-30-2008, 02:20 PM
I have stayed in each of the Value Resorts except All Star Sports (that's probably going to be our next choice).

I know that Pop Century is newer, but I really didn't notice much, if any, difference related to that fact. For me, there is a very similar feel to all of them. For me the primary difference was the theming.

It is true that Pop Century does not share it's buses with any other resort. However, while the 3 All Star resort can share, it seems they typically do not share in times of greater volume, such as closing time at the parks. Also, if you notice (and I may be incorrect), although POP does not share, it sometimes does not get as many buses, making the wait time comparable to the All Stars.

Also, if you are staying at All Star Music (the on in the middle), you could potentially take a bus going to ANY of the All Star resorts, and have only a short walk to your resort. So you could take the first bus that shows up, or get in the shortest line.

My first stay at a Value Resort, back in 2000, I believe the buses ALWAYS stopped at ALL 3 resorts. Judging from my experience in September 07, that is definitely no longer the case. While it can happen, they see to be pretty good about adding busses and dividing the route based on need.

IloveDisney71
01-30-2008, 07:43 PM
I have stayed at ASM twice and POP once and to me they were very similar. I actually thought the buses ran more frequently at ASM, but that's just my opinion.
All the values offer the same ammenities as far as pools, food courts, bus service, etc. I think it really depends on what theme you would most enjoy experiencing.

Eeyore's My Favorite
01-30-2008, 09:47 PM
We're just back from ASMu and I would definitely choose this resort again over POP. We had a very unmagical trip in September, 07 and vowed not to stay there again. POP was too huge, too crowded, too noisy, bus lines too long, unsupervised kids running up & down the halls all hours of the night, & lots of rude hotel guests. Also, we paid for a preferred room & that's not what we got.......................just one thing in a list of many discussed with Disney.

At ASMu it's a much smaller resort, rooms are refurbished (POP's starting to show it's wear & tear), bathroom areas have curtains in front of the sink area. Our standard room was in a much better location than any preferred room I've gotten at a value. Food court was good - we ate in our room for breakfast, but ate dinner a few times there & it wasn't crowded at all. The bus service was great. In the mornings we had bus service just for our resort alone, didn't share with the other AllStars, same thing in the evening. The only time we rode a bus and shared was in the middle of the day coming back from AK & that wasn't a big deal at all. I think there were maybe 10 of us on the bus if that many.

So............for me & DH it'll be ASMu again!! :thumbsup:

Tink#64
01-30-2008, 11:43 PM
We stayed at ASMo's our 1st trip & we loved it. But Pop opened about 6 months prior to our 2nd trip & we wanted to try it. We have stayed there for our past 3 trips & we're returning there this fall. We love the theme & the atmosphere at Pop. We have DS's - now 10 & 12.

Everyone has their own unique experiences, some great & some not. So, IMHO, you should take us all with a grain of salt! We've always had a great experience at Pop, & we've thought of trying a mod, but a little apprehensive that we might be disappointed in the FUN factor. They seem a little grown up for our current preferences.

We've always stayed in bldg. #4 of the 60's section, I'm not sure of current status with the changes, but it was preferred when we stayed. We lucked into a great location on our 1st trip & I've requested the same room for the last 2 trips, and although I haven't gotten the exact room, we've been on the same floor of same bldg, with the same view! We look over HourGlass Lake, and from the end of the walkway, you can see SSE & some of IllumiNations at night! How cool is that! I request the room when I make the original ressies & I call back a day or 2 before arrival & repeat the request. I've had CM's bend over backwards to accomodate. We had extended family with us 2 years & 1 year we actually got,connecting rooms even though not requested!

I've never experienced a high crowd volume at the resort, in the food court, or in the main pool except over the MD holiday! That was crowded!

We spend time at the resort everyday. We always take a break for a few hours & swim, or take a day off to just hang out! We really like Pop, it's comfortable for us. Yes, of course I wish it had some of the amenities like the mod's & lux's, such as coffee pots & fridge's, but I've done the math, even adding on the cost of the fridge (which we get) it's still a better value for us! We're not there enough to justify the additional expense. There's always soooo much else that we want to spend our money on at WDW - it just makes the most sense for us!

I hope you enjoy whatever you choose! :mickey:

adoptionislove
01-31-2008, 12:06 PM
I would say POP. I loved it. Yes, it is crowded and noisey in the main areas but our room was facing the pond and it was very quiet. We were tucked way into the corner so, not alot of people went by. Although, we were so tired from WDW that we would not have even noticed it!

Yes, it is crowded and Yes, it is noisey in the public areas BUT, I suppose if you wanted quiet and no people you could rent a cabin in Siberia!!!!!! LOL

In other words, it is WDW!!!! It is ALWAYS crowded there! That is why we love it!

magicofdisney
01-31-2008, 03:52 PM
We will NEVER stay at Pop again unless it's the only value available (which I don't believe has ever happened). The resort is bigger than any one All Star therefor the lines are automatically longer. If you stay at All Star Sports, you will be first in line for bus sharing on the way to a park. Also, like Marker stated, they rarely share busses at busy times, such as park opening and closing.

GrmGrninGost
02-01-2008, 12:18 AM
We've tried them all more than once, and in my opinion, POP is the one to choose. I have no complaints with any of them, but POP is a little newer and brighter and we enjoy it just a little more than the All-Stars! :mickey: