PDA

View Full Version : Co-worker needs lots of pixie dust please!

kakn7294
01-28-2008, 07:31 PM
Several weeks ago, a co-worker's DH (he's in his mid 50's) was admitted to the hospital about 3 days after having fallen down 5 steps backwards when he tripped over their dog. His blood pressure was severely low but he refused to go to critical care. He lasted on my floor for about 7 hrs before developing difficulty breathing and he no longer had a choice - he was off to critical care. To make a long story short, he ended up on a ventilator and now has a trach, he now has a PEG (feeding) tube, he has a chest tube and needs a VATS procedure (lung surgery), but is in multi-system failure and wouldn't survive the anesthesia. The only organ that hasn't failed is his heart. Last week, the doctors gave him a 50-50 chance to live but then Kim was called in Friday night so I think he's worse than that now. He has an empyema (infection) in the space around his lung, he has MRSA pneumonia which has eaten away the lining of his lungs, he's a long-time brittle diabetic, and he's been in and out of kidney failure this admission. The doctors now think he's been developing this illness for a while but was on high-dose steriods and Enbrel for rheumatoid arthritis so it masked his symptoms and the fall only exacerbated it plus he's rather stubborn. I know they're fighting to save his life the best they can but it seems that everytime one thing starts to improve, two more things go bad. Please keep him and his family in your prayers for me - he has his wife (my co-worker) and 2 children, a 20 yo son and a 13 yo daughter as well as his mother.

jodijo
01-28-2008, 08:34 PM
I am so sorry to hear about your co-worker. I will keep all of you in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us updated on his condition.

DisneyLuver91
01-28-2008, 08:40 PM
He's in my thoughts and prayers. Its terrible when accidents just onset an illness. If you give him flowers, order an extra one for me.

DisneyDudet
01-28-2008, 08:49 PM
That is so sad. It decompensated so quickly.

I hope he surprises everyone and makes it through this.

jwildflower1981
01-28-2008, 08:54 PM
:pixie::pixie::pixie:Pixie dust is on its way:pixie::pixie::pixie:The family will be kept in our paryers.

mrsgaribaldi
01-29-2008, 12:26 AM
Lots of prayers and :pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie: on the way.

Aurora
01-29-2008, 02:21 AM
Prayers from Chicago.....

tinkerbell04
01-29-2008, 10:05 AM
Prayers and :pixie: for the family. Please keep us posted.:mickey:

hoop de do
01-29-2008, 10:15 AM
From your report it sounds like he needs all the prayers and Pixie Dust that we can muster. Here is mine and keep us updated.
:tink::pixie::tink::pixie:

laprana
01-29-2008, 10:30 AM
Lots and lots of :pixie::pixie: and prayers on the way!

MsMin
01-29-2008, 11:06 AM
Kathy...Sending :pixie: but it really hits home. My dad is in the hospital right now w/ pneumonia and he's a very stubborn diabetic @ 77. Despite a flu shot he got the flu and developed pneumonia rather quickly. He had a temp of 103 and a HR of 56 and that's w/ a pace maker. His potassium was real low and his muscle tone and strength was virtually non existent. We've had him in the hospital since Friday. It's scary the way things happen so so fast. His kidney fx is very low and they can't control his anemia.
We are struggling to get help for when we have him at home b/c he isn't the best of patients and he's 275 so we can't move him very much if at all. He won't cooperate and wants to do things he used to do but it scares us. I know he needs a hobby but everything seems so dangerous. I asked if OT could help. A couple weeks ago he went out and bought some saws to do some wood work which he loves to do and has been outside in 35-50 degree weather (it changes quickly here but we've had many cold spells. I think w/ the diabetes he can't feel the cold. Sorry to vent here but I know you understand.
I will add your friend to my prayers and send more :pixie: Please keep us updated...

kakn7294
01-29-2008, 01:32 PM
Beth, I'll keep you and your dad in my prayers. I'm sending some :pixie: your way too - sounds like you need some too!

I don't work again until Thursday so I likely won't have any updates before then. Thanks for all the pixie dust and prayers so far!

offwego
01-29-2008, 02:02 PM
hopefully you'll have good news then.

More prayers and pixe dust on the way.

Belle619
01-29-2008, 02:27 PM
:pixie: for your coworker and her husband.

kakn7294
02-01-2008, 03:06 AM
Update - really no significant change in his condition. He's mostly unresponsive and doesn't know when family is there. He's still on the ventilator. He is tolerating the feeding tube and feedings well though.

merlinmagic4
02-01-2008, 06:25 AM
Sounds like he needs some more :pixie: :pixie: :pixie: I sure hope he can get through this.

dolphinmickey9170
02-01-2008, 01:38 PM
Kathy, please tell Kim and her family they are all in our prayers!!

Beth, please know that you and your dad are in our prayers as well!!

ElenitaB
02-01-2008, 08:22 PM
:pixie: and prayers for your co-worker, her DH and their family!

The same goes out to your dad, Beth! :pixie: and prayers!

daparish
02-02-2008, 10:05 PM
Kathy,
I am so sorry to hear about this. I will keep this family in my prayers.

Beth - here is some :pixie: for your dad. It is such a difficult situation you are dealing with.

kakn7294
02-09-2008, 09:05 AM
Please keep up the pixie dust and prayers! They're definately working as he is now awake although he's still on the vent from what I understand. He's quite angry (he's a bad patient) that all this has happened to him - what an awful thing to wake up to, having a trach and being on a vent with all the other health issues going on as well. He's got a long, long recovery ahead of him, but it looks like he might have turned that corner and is going to make it. Thanks!!!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
02-09-2008, 11:42 PM
:pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie:More prayers and pixie dust coming his way. I hope he continues to improve!