PDA

View Full Version : Strollers - 1, 2, rent?

4casons
01-28-2008, 08:32 AM
We will be at WDW in May. At that time by DSs will be 2.2 yrs and 4 mos. I am trying to decide between bringing our double stroller for the parks or our single stroller and rent a single stroller for the 2 year old. Thinking that way if I need to go back to the hotel with baby, DH and older DS can stay but not be stranded without a stroller. And if I take our Graco stroller, maybe use it without the carrier??? And also bring a baby sling for standing in lines. Am I just way over thinking this???

Strmchsr
01-28-2008, 10:22 AM
:welcome: to Intercot!!!

That's a tough question, but I would think bring your single stroller. I've watched parents try to get those double strollers on the WDW buses and it's a royal pain for both the parents and those around them. Single strollers are much more manageable. You could also rent 2 strollers (or 1 double) down there. Then you don't have to worry carrying the strollers between parks or back to the resort. The other upside to renting the strollers is you don't have the anxiety of leaving your personal stroller unattended. I haven't heard any stories of personal strollers being swiped, but it still makes me nervous.

mickey&missy
01-28-2008, 10:25 AM
I don't think your over think it at all! I've been having my own stroller dilemas for months for our trip in March. You want your kids to be comfortable in the best, easiest way, but figuring it out isn't always simple. We're going to take 9 month old DS's stroller and rent a double for the older 2. Their 7(almost) and 5. I know DD7 will rarely use it, probably just to sit and rest occasionally, but DS5 tends to be a bit lazy and wanders.

Taking your single stoller from home for the baby and renting one for your older DS is probably the best option, in my opinion. The double graco I had when DD and my older DS were little weighed a ton! I can't imagine folding it up to get it on and off the bus! One thing to think about, will DS want to nap in the stoller? The rental stroller aren't the best for napping.

You may need the carrier for restaurants. Not all the restaurants have room to push a stroller up to the table. A sling is a great option for holding a little one for waiting in line. I'm planning on using an Infantino EuroCarrier for holding DS on lines and even on the rides for a little extra security. My big fear with that is he's 21 lbs at 8 months now. How much will he weigh in 5 weeks?! I may end up with a sore back! Or DH will have to use it ;)

No matter what you do, do what you think will make the kids the most comfortable and your time at WDW the easiest! Have a great trip!

CAS
01-28-2008, 11:16 AM
I agree bring the single and rent another. A good single stroller we found is the Mclaren Volo. It's got the comfort of a full size stroller but weighs only 8 lbs, and you can fold it with one hand. It's got a strap that allows you to sling it over your shoulder. Best thing I love about it however...is that it's tall enough for me to use! (I'm 6'3" tall and my wife is 5'4") :cloud9:

BouncingTigger
01-28-2008, 12:49 PM
I'm no expert since I don't have kids, but I think minimizing the bulky and heaviness you have to carry on the buses would be good. Trying to hold onto a heavy stroller, hold on to a rail, and hold on to one or more children just seems very difficult to me. I've seen many parents struggling with all that. Also, some people will give you ugly looks if your stroller accidentally slips and hits them.

Also, aren't double strollers really expensive? I know my friend's is (she has two little ones). I wouldn't want to risk someone taking off with it while you are on a ride or in a show. I don't think it's likely that anyone would take it, but I guess there is always a chance...

4casons
01-28-2008, 04:05 PM
Wow, thanks for reminding me about needing the carrier in restaurants. I hadn't really thought about where the baaby would "sit" when we go to eat. At 4 months, he definitely wouldn't be able to sit in a highchair. And, i doubt i would want to eat with him in the carrier in front of me for every meal.

And, very valid point about the naps. Ugh, so much to think about!! ;)

kakn7294
01-28-2008, 05:53 PM
We've never needed a carrier for the restaurants - we've always been able to just take the stroller right in but our strollers were small so I don't know if that makes a difference. I'd definately take a personal stroller for the baby - the Disney rentals just aren't made for little babies. For the older child, I'd either rent or take an inexpensive umbrella stroller.

BrerGnat
01-28-2008, 06:02 PM
I think your best option is to bring two strollers, from home.

Renting a stroller sounds like a good idea, until you have to carry your tired 2 year old to the bus stop, through the hotel, to your room, etc. It's also very difficult to get a 2 year old and all the gear to the pool for a simple swim, not to mention getting through the airport with a 2 year old on foot...

I have two kids who are 20 months apart. We go to Disneyland about once a week, since both kids were born. When we had the second, we did all kinds of different things with regards to strollers. We tried a double (bad idea for when baby falls asleep and brother decided to scream or kick him...), a "sit and stand" double (bad idea when older DS fell asleep in the front seat and I had to carry baby for 2 hours), and two separate strollers (umbrella for older son, Graco Metrolite for baby).

The best option is having two of your own strollers. I'd recommend purchasing an umbrella for your older son that is lightweight and has a carry strap (my recommendation would be a Maclaren Triumph). For the baby, bring the Graco, but forgo the infant carrier for the parks. You can bring it on the plane as you will need it there, but don't bring it into the parks, or it is just one more thing to carry on the buses. A 4 month old is fine in a Graco full stroller with the back reclined slightly. I started putting my son in there around 4 months and he did great.

Bring a sling, Baby Bjorn, or similar for waits in line, bus rides, and meals. It is actually easier to have your baby in a carrier on your body than in a carseat at the restaurants, since they rarely will fit in a booth, and you don't want to sit it unsecured on a stand alone chair. When our son was that age, we would just take turns holding him while we ate. I found that ordering food that only required one hand to eat was key! DH would eat fast and then take the baby so I could eat or vice versa. In the counter service locations, you can just leave the baby in the stroller at mealtimes.

Investing in a second stroller is a good idea, not just for the trip. In general, you will find many times that 2 separate strollers comes in handy. With your kids so close in age, they will need strollers for a few more years, so it's a wise investment to make.

teambricker04
01-29-2008, 01:51 PM
We went in November when our oldest DS was nearing 3 and our youngest DS was 5 months. We debated and debated. At home we use a sit'n'stand but I figured (and figured correctly) that even though the oldest walks most places he would evenutally get too tired to make it from the front gate to transportation let alone in the parks. We ended up getting a graco double stroller and I am soooo glad we chose this option. It turned out that the baby napped just fine in the stroller so we never went back for him, but did do naps for the older on.

As mentioned, it is CRAZY to bring a double stroller onto the buses. This trip we didn't do that as we rented a car. Oh! And we left the carcarrier at the hotel. The baby ended up preferring the bjorn to sleep.