PDA

View Full Version : Best Non-DS restraunt for DS day.

Cindy'smom
01-27-2008, 09:01 AM
I'm not really thrilled with any of the DS restraunts. We haven't tried BrownDerby, but I don't feel I need to. We've been to HW&V, PT, and Sci:sick:Fi. Is there anywhere you would recommend we try that is close to DS but not in that park? I'm ok with leaving the park for a late lunch, then returning for Fantasmic! By mid-afternoon we will probably be done with DS anyhow, other than Fantasmic. Thanks!

Donald's Girl
01-27-2008, 10:40 AM
I would definitely take the boat over to Boardwalk/Y&B. If you have any sports fans with you, you could go to ESPN. I would probably either do that or go over to Beaches & Cream.
There are a lot of other options in that whole area (including Swan & Dolphin which I never have been to since I don't consider them really "Disney".)
I suggest you look over the menus at the various restaurants and see what would suit you but I find going over as a break from DS is a lot of fun!

Itchy
01-27-2008, 10:43 AM
You might also take the boat to Epcot. The world show case has a bunch of good resturants for a quick lunch.:mickey:

Marker
01-27-2008, 10:59 AM
Ok, I gotta ask.... what is a "DS restaurant"?

A "Disney Son" or "Dear Son" restaurant doesn't seem to make sense, and my feeble mind just just not translating this acronym.

It's probably just cause I'm getting old, but I can remember back in the old days when people actually used words. They really did! They used letters to actually spell things. But that was a long time ago. :D

Cindy'smom
01-27-2008, 11:31 AM
Marker,
By "DS" I mean Disney Studios. Trying to be politially correct, eventhough it is still MGM to me.;)
I like the suggestions to take the boat to the Boardwalk or Epcot. I've never done that before. How long does it take? And where is the boat dock? I've never noticed it, but yet I've never been looking as we've either taken the bus or the car. Keep your suggestions coming. I'd really like to try something new.:mickey:

sassafras
01-27-2008, 11:37 AM
The boat ride is probably 10-15 minutes. There are docks at the Swan/Dophin, Boardwalk and Yacht and Beach Club. There are a couple of restaurants at the YC. The YC Galley (called something else now) is pretty good. Cape May has a good New England style clambake every night. Also, there is a cafeteria style restaurant the the Dolphin called Picabo' s that has pretty good food.

Cindy'smom
01-27-2008, 01:56 PM
While I'd love to check out the boardwalk area, is doesn't look like there are many options for lunch. ESPN doesn't appeal to me, and while I hear Beaches and Cream is awesome, I also understand it can be quite busy and difficult to get into. I'm wondering about DTD. Are there busses that go directly to DTD from DS, or do you need to connect at a resort? Also, can we catch a bus back to DS from DTD, or do we need to go to a resort first?
Thanks!:mickey:

Marker
01-27-2008, 02:15 PM
Marker,
By "DS" I mean Disney Studios. Trying to be politially correct, eventhough it is still MGM to me.;)

Ah! I should have figured that out. Guess I'll have to add that to may IAT (internal acronym translater)

My favorite restaurant at Disney's Hollywood Studios probably has to be the 50's Prime Time Cafe. My family love that place, both for the food and the atmosphere, as well as the "show".

However, if looking for alternatives outside the park, like others have indicated you have the selections at both Boardwalk and Epcot's World Showcase just a boat ride, or manageable walk, away.

Cindy'smom
01-28-2008, 06:55 AM
Are there any great lunch options around the Boardwalk/Beach Club area? Is there outdoor seating at Beaches and Cream? If the seating is gone inside, is there much of a wait to order and sit outside?:mickey:

Cinderelley
01-28-2008, 01:28 PM
Yes, the wait can be quite long at Beaches 'n' Cream.

The boat dock is outside of the main gate of the Studios. When you walk out, you can turn right to go to the buses or you can go straight to get to the boat dock.

The best way to get to DTD from the Studios that I can think of is to take a boat to the first resort it stops at. Then head out to that resort's bus stop to take a bus to DTd. To get back to the STudios, do the same thing in reverse.

Boardwalk does have some restaurants, like Yacht Club Gallery and Big River for lunch. Click on info central. Then scroll down to the dining section. If you click on the "menus" link you'll get a lot more info about what is offered.

Another alternative could be a counter service at the Studios. I love Starring Rolls. You also didn't mention that you had been to Mama Melrose.