PDA

View Full Version : To do afternoon tea or not to do afternoon tea

faberj
01-25-2008, 03:09 PM
....That is the question!

I have been debating and debating if we should do the afternoon tea at the GF when DH and I go in December. We will be on the dlx dining plan (I know the tea is not included in the plan... bummer) and was wondering if it was 1. worth the extra cost and 2. It would look like we would have an extra meal somewhere that we would either have to use or not use.

Thoughts anyone??

May524
01-25-2008, 04:32 PM
I vote to do it! :number1:
My DH and I really enjoyed this on our honeymoon. It wasn't crowded at all, and it was just very quiet and relaxing. They have excellent desserts...yum! :thumbsup:

wendy*darling
01-25-2008, 08:44 PM
I would not do it at the cost of letting a credit on your Dining Plan go to waste.

But.. if you have an afternoon open, it is a wonderful experience.

KAT1811
01-25-2008, 09:17 PM
Seeing as you are on the dlx plan I wouldn't. There are so many other wonderful eateries that are included in the plan, I, personally, would go elsewhere. With that being said if it is something you really want to try go for it. I guess it depends on how badly you would like to try it. If you are interested in dining at the GF why not try the GF Cafe for lunch. You could order a cup of tea!!! LOL!!

Jared
01-25-2008, 10:24 PM
Afternoon tea at the Grand Floridian is one of the most wonderful and unique experiences in Walt Disney World. I went, reluctantly, with a large group in October because Cher (TheSorcererofFantasia) offered to pay. I left the tea room already planning to return.

Here's just another reason why the Disney Dining Plan stinks. It may preclude you from a real treat. If you have the budget for it, book tea. Forget the stupid plan.

ElenitaB
01-26-2008, 02:55 AM
You can always put the credit you'd "lose" by experiencing one of the nicest spots in WDW, to use at a 2 credit TS on another day. I'd say it's worth going to Tea: unique experience if you've never gone to afternoon tea. If you have, it's a very nice one and, compared to other venues, quite reasonably priced as well. If you've never gone to afternoon tea, you should take the opportunity to have the experience in a lovely, comfortable spot. It's now a must do for us on every trip.

laughingplace<3
01-26-2008, 03:45 AM
What exactly is the afternoon tea?

Meaning, why is it so great and what's on the menu? :blush:

Jared
01-26-2008, 11:20 AM
Afternoon tea is just a really special experience in one of the nicest settings in Disney. It's served every day around 2 p.m. in a lounge in the Grand Floridian overlooking a beautiful garden. There are several menu options, including a la carte selections.

When I went, I had a three-course meal, starting with my choice of seemingly an endless variety of teas. You are given the opportunity to smell the leaves before deciding.

The first course is a plate of finger sandwiches. My favorites were the shrimp salad and chicken salad with almonds. Next comes a hot scone fresh from the oven served with jam and sinful Devonshire cream. Finally, you can choose between three dessert. I seriously recommend the trifle.

It's a perfect substitute for lunch.

Hope that helps!

:tasty:

ElenitaB
01-26-2008, 01:14 PM
Afternoon tea typically consists of a choice of tea and a selection of food (called a tea set). There are several different sets offered at the Grand Floridian's Garden View Lounge, and there's more information about them and the selection of teas to be found here (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/dining/gftea.asp) on Info Central.

Afternoon tea can be had throughout the US and Canada (and in the UK, of course), but as I mention above, the GF experience is actually quite reasonable (the "Buckingham Palace" comes with a price tag of around $20, whereas a similar selection would run you at least $45 at a NYC hotel or $27-30 at a non-hotel setting like Tea & Sympathy or Alice's Tea Cup). And there's nothing like looking out at the GF lobby or the gardens. :cloud9:

And the food and the goodies aside, it's just nice to take a break from the parks and just chat with your loved ones in a lovely atmosphere.

DreamFinder2
01-26-2008, 06:39 PM
I'm assuming an ADR is not necessary?

Natazu
01-26-2008, 09:50 PM
Yes, it's worth it... for the tea, not the over-priced crumpets.

Jym's DxDDP "All that Paul has to offer" Day of Lavish Indulgence Touring Plan:
1) Breakfast
have an early breakfast at 1900 with Alice and friends
2) Magical Shopping
Rail over to MK for a little shopping, what could be more relaxing than that?
3) The Best Sandwich Ever Created
boat your way back to GF for lunch at Grand Floridian Cafe, have "The Grand Sandwich" and the most awesome crab cakes on the loop
4) High-end Shops
hit the shops at GF, wear a surgical mask at Basin
5) Tea
High Tea at the Garden View Lounge - order tea, avoid the $19 mini-sandwiches
6) It's not over yet
back to the room, swim and chill for a few hours, take a nap, then change for dinner
7) four star dinner
Now, experience the casual elegance of Citrico's, gourmet dining with a distinct Tuscan flair. The Mediterranean culinary expertise of Chef Phillip is unmatched in the Orlando area. Coupled with a 10,000 bottle wine cellar, this is a truly exceptional way to cap off a relaxing day.

Hope this answers your question.

mouseaddict
01-26-2008, 09:55 PM
Yes, it's worth it... for the tea, not the over-priced crumpets.

Jym's DxDDP "All that Paul has to offer" Day of Lavish Indulgence Touring Plan:
1) Breakfast
have an early breakfast at 1900 with Alice and friends
2) Magical Shopping
Rail over to MK for a little shopping, what could be more relaxing than that?
3) The Best Sandwich Ever Created
boat your way back to GF for lunch at Grand Floridian Cafe, have "The Grand Sandwich" and the most awesome crab cakes on the loop
4) High-end Shops
hit the shops at GF, wear a surgical mask at Basin
5) Tea
High Tea at the Garden View Lounge - order tea, avoid the $19 mini-sandwiches
6) It's not over yet
back to the room, swim and chill for a few hours, take a nap, then change for dinner
7) four star dinner
Now, experience the casual elegance of Citrico's, gourmet dining with a distinct Tuscan flair. The Mediterranean culinary expertise of Chef Phillip is unmatched in the Orlando area. Coupled with a 10,000 bottle wine cellar, this is a truly exceptional way to cap off a relaxing day.

Hope this answers your question.

Jym..will you and Rachel adopt me??????

Natazu
01-26-2008, 10:03 PM
Jym..will you and Rachel adopt me??????

We'll need a nanny pretty soon.

mouseaddict
01-26-2008, 10:04 PM
lol..this nanny comes with a 6 year old and a 14 month old..still interested???

Natazu
01-26-2008, 10:15 PM
lol..this nanny comes with a 6 year old and a 14 month old..still interested???
I think i hear the phone, gotta go... :bolt: