PDA

View Full Version : luggage/packing questions

faberj
01-25-2008, 11:05 AM
Hi,
We (DH and I) are going to WDW for 9 days in December. We have 2 large (30in) Sampsonite suitcases but with the 50 lb weight limit can only usually fill them 1/2 full. With going in December I know we are going to have to pack more because of the varing temps, and I really do not want to do LAUNDRY on VACATION!! So what do you recomend we do. I was looking at some large rolling duffles (38in) and they do not weigh very much and then maybe taking one of our suitcases. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

RoosMomKanga
01-25-2008, 11:20 AM
Suggest you fill the larger luggage with lighter items...ie. you'll need fluffy coats, warmer wear for December. I'd buy some more rolling bags (we like something with more structure/protection than a duffle...have you seen the airlines loading the bags?) and put the heavyweight stuff in whatever's smallest; toiletries, shoes, in them. My DD just got back from a semester in France and filled 2 lg. bags-50 # ea. and had all the heavyweight stuff in a big backpack and purse (keep in mind in case you've reached your 50# per bag-they've never weighed the carry-on stuff so buy a big purse that's under the carry-on size limit).

PS.When we go for longer trips like you are we take a suitcase full of food (breakfast mainly so we can get a quick start), snacks, drinks, collapsible cooler, and disposable bowls/cups/utensils/napkins. We then fill this with souvenirs for our return trip!:mickey:

disneymom15
01-25-2008, 12:13 PM
You may be surprised but we've never exceeded the 50 lb limit on our large bag. Usually weighs in at about 42-45 lbs.

BigRedDad
01-25-2008, 12:44 PM
Completely up to you, but you are permitted 3 bags on most flights (2 bags in cargo and one carry-on). Have you thought about 2 smaller suitcases?

SurferStitch
01-25-2008, 12:50 PM
We stopped using our 30 inch suitcases for clothing because we easily hit 60-65 pounds in them, even when they're not stuffed!

DH and I lucked out last year and found very nice 7 piece luggage sets at Macy's marked down from $200 to $40 clearance, so we bought two.

This past December we definitely overpacked, and didn't need 3/4 of the cool weather wear we brought. It was very warm except for the last two days (usually around 82-84 degrees). We were there from 12/6 - 12/17 last month.

I used the two 28 inch suitcases, and DH used the two 26 inch suitcases for our clothes. We used one of the old 30 inch suitcases for our shoes (I take a lot of shoes). No matter how we stuffed the 28 and 26 inch ones, they never hit 50 pounds. The shoe suitcase was around 30 pounds. Worked out perfectly. Southwest allows 3 checked bags per person, 1 carry-on, and one personal item (which was an average size duffel for me).

I took one lightweight coat, but never had to wear it. I wore mostly hoodies at night in the parks, and even then, didn't really need them, but I had some really fancy ones, and darn it....I was wearing them! The last day was only a high of 60, but a nice hoodie, jeans, gloves and a light scarf easily got me through the chilly 39 degree morning.

thrillme
01-25-2008, 02:04 PM
This message might be too late but...

I gave up my larger suitcase because I'd go over the limit quite a bit. My problem would be trying to get everything into one. But we were not going to Disney...we were going "skiing" for spring break. Believe it or not this is really HARD. We fly into Sacremento, visit Santa Cruz and then drive up to Reno and go skiing in Tahoe. Whoo...there are sooooo many differing temp extremes there. From 80 to as low as 7...We have to bring EVERYTHING to be prepared. You never know what it's going to be on the mountian. It could easily be 60 or 0 in mid March

Now I use the bigger suitcase to pack the bulky but FLUFFY stuff, the smaller to pack Jeans and sweaters. At least with the airlines I've flown there's a two case limit per paid person. I ALWAYS pack an extra collasible duffle. If things are too heavy I whip that puppy out and spread the wealth a bit. I've only gone over a couple of times (when I used the BIG suitcase shrinking it by only 2 inches was enough to keep me in control and I don't know why) and needed to do that.

teambricker04
01-25-2008, 02:30 PM
We use our large suit case for our childrens things. This way if we need to unpack and repack, it is so much easier. Plus, we always weigh our bags at home befre we go. Sometimes we pack a high quality duffle in a suit case for things we buy or just for dirty clothes. Generally, I opt for two smaller suit cases than a big one. Less chance of over stuffing.

Just remember you can always buy a sweatshirt or jacket to wear down there and bring back.

Tigger&Stitch
01-25-2008, 05:13 PM
Air New Zealand (the airline we have to fly to get to/from here!) is very very strict about luggage weight limits.

So we bought two Ricardo "built-in scale" bags: Ricardo Luggage (http://www.ebags.com/ricardo_beverly_hills/built_in_scale/category_search/index.cfm?N=20037512)

They work like a charm, and we always know how much the bag weighs!!

Beast_fanatic
01-25-2008, 06:18 PM
Southwest allows 3 checked bags per person, 1 carry-on, and one personal item (which was an average size duffel for me).

I believe that Southwest recently changed this policy and that each person is now only allowed 2 checked bags per person (which is in line with most other airlines).

SurferStitch
01-25-2008, 09:38 PM
I believe that Southwest recently changed this policy and that each person is now only allowed 2 checked bags per person (which is in line with most other airlines).

Oh yeah....it starts on January 29th. That really stinks.

At least starting the 29th, the third checked bag only costs $25, not $50 like current additional bags cost. The 4th bag and up will still cost $50 each.

Yet another reason we don't really want to fly anymore.