PDA

View Full Version : Riding with driver on the monorail

ljv1975
01-24-2008, 06:56 PM
I read that if you ask a CM you may be lucky enough to ride up front with the driver on the monorail. Has anyone done this? Do they explain the controls and everything, like when you get to go in the cockpit on an airplane?

wendy*darling
01-24-2008, 07:06 PM
It's true :mickey:

The front car can fit up to 4 people besides the driver. It is first come, first served.

The view is great- but your interaction with the driver varies. Some like to talk, tell stories and explain what they are doing. Others are quiet and just drive.

You can ask the driver for a Monorail co-pilot's license at the end of your trip.

MiaBella
01-24-2008, 07:11 PM
YES!!!! ask if you can you can also get a little card from the driver :D

DisFan01
01-24-2008, 07:15 PM
Most of the time, when we do it, we ask what the driver is doing, so he'll talk... :mickey:

Hull-onian
01-24-2008, 07:35 PM
We have ridden up front on the monorail. It is a very quiet relaxing experience. We totally enjoyed it. Just ask a CM on platform to sit up front. They do oblige.

eridon
01-24-2008, 07:37 PM
We have been in the front a lot due to various circumstances. It is a great view. One time we were the only ones on the entire monorail and the driver stopped various times, including to have a view of the fireworks (some guy had rented out all of MK for a family reunion). Another time the driver let my son pose in the driver's seat so we could get a picture. Then she gave him a stack of trading cards related to the monorail (??). There were other experiences, but those were the best. Just ask when you get in line. Even though there are others in front of you, ask anyways.:mickey: Oh, I hear when the monorail stops to look at the driver up front. He/she will hold up the number of fingers for how many people can fit up front. If he is full it will be a fist - if I remember correctly.

DANAM
01-24-2008, 07:53 PM
We find it is easier to ride in the front in the morning. We try to be to the parks right before open and it is pretty easy to get in the front then. There is normally a seperate waiting line towards the front of the waiting/loading area. If you go later in the day, may have to wait for a couple of monorails but it is sooo much fun or the kids!!!!

Disney Maniac
01-24-2008, 08:13 PM
Yes, you can do this!! I you are going to do this ride i the fornt on ypur way to Epcot!! Yo get a great shot of the Epcot Ball. So have your camera ready!!

TexasPrincessAurora
01-24-2008, 09:06 PM
We rode with the driver one evening at the close of EPCOT back to the TTC. You could tell the driver had had a long day...he was dozing off. Needless to say he wasn't exactly talkative, but it was a neat view at night to see everything lit up. And we did get the license. We haven't tried riding again up front.

For those who have little ones...be aware you have to fold your strollers up when you ride up front. No leaving the little ones in their stroller on and off the Monorail.

brownie
01-24-2008, 09:11 PM
It's a neat experience. You may have to wait for the next monorail to be able to ride in front, but everyone should try it at least once.

bjbunny
01-24-2008, 09:18 PM
Does anybody know if they will allow 4 adults and 1 three year old in the front of the monarail at the same time?

baby minnie's mommy
01-24-2008, 09:24 PM
This is from 2004, so please excuse me if it's changed, but this is what the castmember told us about the resort ones:

Each resort has it's designated monorail. At that resort, the monorail has to let off any front riders who then move to the back. Then new guests waiting at the resort get in front.
For example:
If at the Poly you get on the designated monorail, you ride all the way around even if others are waiting at the next stop. If at the Poly you get on the Contemporary's monorail, you have to move to the back at the Contemporary (unless no one is waiting there).

It's a great ride - you get a really neat view! I remember riding up front when I was a little kid, so on my honeymoon I told DH we had to try it, and he loved it too! :thumbsup: He asked the driver a couple questions - the driver wasn't very talkative but was happy to answer questions. You don't even have to be going anywhere - just tell the attendant you want to ride all the way around, and be willing to wait for the right monorail. :)

Niecyboo
01-24-2008, 09:47 PM
Four is definitely the maximum. We had 2 adults two children and a toddler and they insisted only four could ride up front. We ended up splitting into two groups and take two trips.

IloveDisney71
01-24-2008, 09:51 PM
We were at WDW in December and stayed at the Poly. One morning we walked over to the ticket transportation center and there were no other passengers waiting to board, so before we could even ask the CM, he asked us if we wanted to ride up front with the driver. We said YES of course. We got to ride all the way to Epcot and I got some great shots of Spaceship Earth.
Our driver was kind of quiet at first but then he said, "warp speed" and pushed the gear forward to go faster. I laughed and said, "Don't you have to ask Scotty for more power or something?". The driver started talking like Scotty from Star Trek - it was pretty funny! Anyway, at the end of our ride he gave all of us monorail licenses. Oh, I almost forgot, my 19 year old DD got to blow the horn. She looked like a little kid, she got so excited about that! I didn't even know monorails had a horn.
If you get a chance, ask to ride in the front. If nothing else, it's a great view!

IloveDisney71
01-24-2008, 09:56 PM
We were the only ones at the TTC one morning so the CM asked us if we wanted to ride up front with the driver. We didn't even have to ask, but we had been planning to. It was great because we got to ride in the front all the way to Epcot. I got some great pictures of Spaceship Earth. My DD got to blow the horn (we didn't even know monorails had a horn). Our driver said, "warp speed" as we started going faster and he pushed the handle forward. I said, "Don't you have to ask Scotty for more power or something?". He started talking like Scotty from Star Trek. It was pretty funny! We also all got a monorail license.
If you get a chance, make time to wait for a chance to ride. The view is great from the front! I can't believe I waited over 20 visits before I rode in the front!

jedi jen
01-24-2008, 10:10 PM
We have ridden up front several times. It is great and we all love it. The CMs are usually pretty quiet, but definitely polite. Highly recommend it.

:mickey:

joanna71985
01-24-2008, 10:20 PM
It is so much fun! I highly recommend doing it at least once.

DIppy Dawg
01-25-2008, 11:00 AM
We ride upfront whenever we can. Everytime we take the monorail my DD, DS and DS alsways ask "Dad can we ride upfront?" They know the routine, go and ask the cast member at the gate. We did ride from TTC to Epcot on our last trip and the view was really nice. On that ride we all (me included) got trading cards, pilot licenses and also pilot wing stickers - still have the stickers on the backing and they are in my office. What fun.:thumbsup:

carribeanpirate5
01-25-2008, 01:13 PM
I think it was said, but make sure you take the trip to Epcot from the TTC. Its a long ride with great scenery and a view of Epcot that is fabulous. Make sure you take pictures.

We do this every year (at least once) and have waited for more than one monorail to get a chance.

Main Street Jim
01-26-2008, 07:33 AM
Interesting but funny story:

We were up front with the pilot on Monorail Blue. My son, then about 10 or so, noticed that the botton of the front windshield was pushed in and cracked a little bit. He asked the pilot what happened with the windshield.

Without missing a beat, the driver says, "Hit a deer." :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::funny:

dizneegirl71
01-26-2008, 11:02 AM
I would love to ride up front on my next visit! With that being said, is riding up front mainly a family with kids event? DH and I have no children, but would love to experience the views from the front. Thanks for the input.:mickey:

baby minnie's mommy
01-26-2008, 12:58 PM
I would love to ride up front on my next visit! With that being said, is riding up front mainly a family with kids event? DH and I have no children, but would love to experience the views from the front. Thanks for the input.:mickey:

No way! Go for it! :number1: DH rode up front on our honeymoon, just the two of us. The honeymoon wasn't a factor, either. It's first come first ride! :)

KevMcNJ
01-26-2008, 05:23 PM
hit a deer....

now thats funny!!!

Rode up front for the first time this week.

while loading I just asked the kid opening the gate
"can we ride up front?"

he said sure and led us to the front

Good stuff

NJ Camper
01-26-2008, 06:24 PM
Me and DW only rode once but it was really cool we loved it but never tried agian we don't ride it that much when we stayed in poly it was great as it was right there but since we started going to the FW it's only good if we hop between MK and Epcot but everyone should do it at least once :number1:

irish1967
01-26-2008, 08:30 PM
If this is something you really want to do, try going against traffic and it will be easy to get a ride (for example, take the monorail from EPCOT to the TTC at opening time!)

My SIL, niece and I were going to EPCOT last summer (staying off-site :mad:) when the men and boys went to see spaceships at NASA. We decided to park at the TTC and take the monorail over to EPCOT since DN loves the monorail. Anyway, someone (not me :cool:) left their tickets at the condo so we had to turn around and go back.

Not only did we get to ride in front with the driver, but we were the ONLY passengers on the monorai!

jefmblrd
01-28-2008, 10:54 AM
My wife and I were the only ones at the Monorail station at the TTC late on night, and the attendant asked us if we wanted to ride up front, so we did. It really was a lot of fun, and I highly recommend it. The driver was a nice young man in the college program, and we had a nice chat.

scootch713
01-28-2008, 11:01 AM
We have done it every year on our visit(twice this past trip)... It is like everything else though, you get some great drivers and then some who aren't so friendly. This year we got one of those not so friendly ones(our first ride, thus that is why i tried for a second time). He was even rude to tell us we had to get out at the Grand Floridian if someone wanted in. I had only believed you got in if noone else was in, I don't think they boot you out so someone else can ride ??? Luckily noone wanted on there, so we did get to ride to MK. We had to ask for the card they give you, he didn't even offer it.

linedropper
01-28-2008, 11:36 AM
On saturday My DD6 and DS5 rode in the front with ,my DW. The driver gave them a card, But my wife said the driver did not say 2 words the whole time! Fun to do for the kids, but no interaction!

Linedropper

baby minnie's mommy
01-28-2008, 10:17 PM
This year we got one of those not so friendly ones(our first ride, thus that is why i tried for a second time). He was even rude to tell us we had to get out at the Grand Floridian if someone wanted in. I had only believed you got in if noone else was in, I don't think they boot you out so someone else can ride ???

You must have been on the GF's designated monorail, and yes you would've had to move back if someone were waiting. Here's how it works:

Each resort has it's "designated" monorail, (which you can board at any resort of course.) If at the GF you board "GF's" monorail, you ride all the way round, even if someone is waiting at the next stop. If at the GF you board "Poly's" monorail, you have to move back at the Poly only IF someone is waiting.

You have to let the attendant know you want to ride all the way around, so they can let you know which one to board. I don't know of any way to tell which monorail is designated where.

DH and I were waiting by ourselves at the Poly one time, so we had a nice chat with the attendant who explained the process. :D

Also, seems like a lot of us got "quiet" drivers - I think it has to do with the fact that they are driving. Although it seems like an "easy" or "fun" job, they're still controlling a vehicle holding many people. Notice the one talking and cracking jokes on the trams is the attendant in the BACK, not the driver. Plus they're probably hired for their driving skills, not performance/acting. Just my thoughts. :cool: