PDA

View Full Version : What is going on with the huge crowds this week??

mjaclyn
01-24-2008, 04:53 PM
Animal Kingdom on Monday, Hollywood Studios on Tuesday, Epcot on Wednesday and now Magic Kingdom today - the parks have been ridiculously crowded ALL WEEK. I expected larger crowds on Monday due to the holiday, but I figured it would have thinned out a little by today...no such luck!! WHAT IS GOING ON?? I've been here in January before and it's usually a really good time to go. I've never seen such large crowds this time of year - ever. There was over an hour wait for almost every ride in MK today DURING the parade! Usually the lines slim down during parade time. There was even a 45 minute wait for Spaceship Earth yesterday!! That ride has always been walk-on every time I've been here. I don't know what the deal is - I've seen alot more foreign tour groups than I ever have before but I don't think that could be the only reason. Does anyone have any idea why the crowds are so large this week? We've barely gotten a chance to do anything in the parks because the lines are so long. What's up???

jaredkari
01-24-2008, 06:00 PM
I feel your pain. My wife and I were there the second week of January, and having never been in January before we were expecting small crowds. We read in the guide books that there were low crowds in Jan. and other on Intercot said there were low crowds. We got to WDW and found that the lines for attractions were worse than during the summer months when we were there. I was pretty disappointed. We still had fun.

We too noticed a lot of foreign visitors and here is my theory-

I think it may be due to the falling value of the American dollar. We are currently planning a trip to London later this year and the dollar is only worth 1/2 a pound. I don't know how it is in relation to other countries but I think that may be why you are seeing larger crowds during a normally slow time at WDW.

BouncingTigger
01-24-2008, 08:45 PM
Hmm...I was there Jan 5-12 and thought crowds were pretty light. They picked up a bit on the 11th and 12th because of the marathon, but overall it was good. We walked on to a lot of rides, especially in the morning. We only used FASTPASS for lines over 20 minutes, which wasn't that often. I think most long lines were about 30 minutes. The longest I saw was Soarin towards the end of the week in the afternoon - 50 minute wait. No problem with a FASTPASS.

Tink#64
01-24-2008, 11:26 PM
I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the MLK holiday? It seems from our limited experience (MD holiday ) & from all I've read on here, that it's always more crowded around a holiday.

We're trying the end of Sept/ beginning of Oct this year. I keep reading that we should have smaller crowds then, I hope we're not shocked too! :unsure:

Mickey 101
01-25-2008, 12:49 AM
We've gone in January several times (except this year :() and have also noticed that the week of MLK is getting very busy. It's been one of the most popular months for international crowds for quite a while now. I imagine the falling dollar isn't helping, as another post mentioned. We went in October this year and decided January is still our favorite time to go. October seemed even more crowded plus it was much too HOT.

Greenlawler
01-25-2008, 01:01 AM
We were there from January 10-17 and the crowds except for MK on the 12th were very very light. We walked onto everything except for Tower of Terror only becuase we waited until the pre Fantasmic rush. I in fact have never seen it so light we walked onto to Soarin and Test Track at epcot on two different days.
I have also read that MLK brings ridiculous crowds and at least two families we know are there now.

#1donaldfan
01-25-2008, 09:06 AM
I'd love to take a trip now, just to get out of our 10 degree weather....I wouldn't mind spending 40 / 50 minutes in line waitng for a ride in the nice warm glow of a FL day....

January-2007
01-25-2008, 09:31 AM
We were in WDW last January and found it to be a lot more crowded than we were expecting it being value season and all as well. I think the crowds are just never really leaving. WDW seems to be growing in popularity because it never truly feels "slow" anymore.

TBY2225
01-25-2008, 09:43 AM
We were there last weekend for MLK weekend. The crowds were crazy! Soarin was 180mins, TT was 70mins, Peter Pan and Space Mt were over an hour! I just don't think there is a "low" season anymore. There were indeed lots of foreign groups and Disney is pulling in lots of competitions to fill in space as well. There was a dance and soccer tournament going on. We were also there this past September and it was much more crowded than September 2006!

Airblue1
01-25-2008, 10:44 AM
The question then becomes when does MLK week end. I never knew some many folks could not only get MLK off but make it into a week event. Being that I am part of the educational community I find it very difficult to understand why families would take advantage of a one day holiday.

mudpuppysmom
01-25-2008, 11:12 AM
We just came home on Tuesday night and I too was pretty surprised by how large the crowds were for the week we were there (Wed the 16th until Tues the 22nd).

I can understand MLK from Friday until Monday, but the crowds were already there when we arrived at MGM on Wednesday afternoon and never died off the whole time. Friday we were at Epcot in the late morning and Soarin was 120 minutes and TT was 90 minutes!! I got FP's for both, but still it was way more than I had prepared myself for. AK on Saturday was the busiest I have ever been there for and it was just people everywhere. MGM on our first day had many foreign tourist groups -- when we were going into Muppets I thought that maybe we had gotten in line between a bunch of them as one teen tried to keep passing me in the line....when I asked her if she was with the people in front of me she looked at me like I had six heads...then muttered something and backed off; sorry but personal space these days is at a premium!!

It was just way more crowded than I expected.

crazeedizneefinatic
01-25-2008, 11:42 AM
We're trying the end of Sept/ beginning of Oct this year. I keep reading that we should have smaller crowds then, I hope we're not shocked too! :unsure:

We love that time of year too and it's usually very very managable. One thing to keep in mind though is the Food & Wine festival at Epcot. We were there last year at the same time and the 1st few days of the festival you could not even walk around worldshowcase! Other than that I think you will enjoy yourselves. We will be there this year again also, Sept 26th-Oct 5th, see you there!

Belle_0717
01-25-2008, 12:25 PM
I am not sure but I have a thought. My company starts our benefit year off in February. All unused time off usually builds up and you have to "use it or lose it" by the end of January. I wonder if this could be the same with other visitors too. I unfortunately have used my time up or else I would probably be there too!

King Triton
01-25-2008, 12:46 PM
Some reasons its crowded:

1. MLK holiday - obviously
2. For schools that started right after Labor Day (most here in the Northeast), a lot of kids are hitting the halfway point of the school year this week and many districts have another day or half day off in addition to the MLK holiday, so that'll add to the crowds.
3. Lotusphere is this week...probably the biggest convention at WDW...they've taken over the Swan, Dolphin and at least portions of the Yacht and Beach Club. Number of attendees and staff probably exceeds 15000...plus spouses, families, etc.

Hair_Razor
01-25-2008, 03:38 PM
I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the MLK holiday? It seems from our limited experience (MD holiday ) & from all I've read on here, that it's always more crowded around a holiday.

Hey we'll be there at same time we should meet up!

wdwfan47
01-25-2008, 04:09 PM
Hmm...I was there Jan 5-12 and thought crowds were pretty light. They picked up a bit on the 11th and 12th because of the marathon, but overall it was good. We walked on to a lot of rides, especially in the morning. We only used FASTPASS for lines over 20 minutes, which wasn't that often. I think most long lines were about 30 minutes. The longest I saw was Soarin towards the end of the week in the afternoon - 50 minute wait. No problem with a FASTPASS.

Well with fastpass you did a lot better then most... I was there at the same time and the crowds were huge for that time of year.. I was just there again last week and it was even worse... Historically it is supposed to be the slowest time of the year at Disney Word.. It's good for business, but for us veterans/residents it was very upsetting.. Usually we have the parks to ourselves at this time of year, that's why we go at this time. We don't have to mess with fastpass or crowds.. I would say that the other gentleman was correct about the European visitors. I felt like I was in another country.. We all noticed it.. It has to be that our $$$ is not worth diddly!! :(

CaptSmee
01-25-2008, 11:54 PM
[QUOTE=mjaclyn;1527527]Animal Kingdom on Monday, Hollywood Studios on Tuesday, Epcot on Wednesday and now Magic Kingdom today - the parks have been ridiculously crowded ALL WEEK...
...There was even a 45 minute wait for Spaceship Earth yesterday!! QUOTE]

Let's see...MLK weekend holiday...Monday at Animal Kingdom=extra magic hours, Tuesday at MGM=extra magic hours, Wednesday at Epcot=extra magic hours, Thursday at Magic Kingdom=extra magic hours.

If you had avoided the extra magic hours parks I believe you would have found the other parks quite empty and more to your liking, yes they are more crowded when they host extra magic hours.

Also, Spaceship Earth has been closed for 6 months and just recently re-opened, it is going to draw a much bigger crowd than it had in the past now because it is newly refurbished and people want to see the changes.

And even at slow times of the year, some of the big attractions will still have large waits. I was there in Dec with no waits anywhere in Epcot, except Test Track had a 70 min wait, and Soarin had a 120 min wait.

Hope you still had a good time though!

wdwfan47
01-26-2008, 12:19 AM
[QUOTE=mjaclyn;1527527]Animal Kingdom on Monday, Hollywood Studios on Tuesday, Epcot on Wednesday and now Magic Kingdom today - the parks have been ridiculously crowded ALL WEEK...
...There was even a 45 minute wait for Spaceship Earth yesterday!! QUOTE]

Let's see...MLK weekend holiday...Monday at Animal Kingdom=extra magic hours, Tuesday at MGM=extra magic hours, Wednesday at Epcot=extra magic hours, Thursday at Magic Kingdom=extra magic hours.

If you had avoided the extra magic hours parks I believe you would have found the other parks quite empty and more to your liking, yes they are more crowded when they host extra magic hours.

Also, Spaceship Earth has been closed for 6 months and just recently re-opened, it is going to draw a much bigger crowd than it had in the past now because it is newly refurbished and people want to see the changes.

And even at slow times of the year, some of the big attractions will still have large waits. I was there in Dec with no waits anywhere in Epcot, except Test Track had a 70 min wait, and Soarin had a 120 min wait.

Hope you still had a good time though!

Look.. I was also there Jan 7th 8th 9th 10th 2008 It was jammed.. I have been going to WDW for over 25yrs... You have not shown me anything in your post that I don't already know.. I have been there on or around these dates for years.. It has nothing to do with all that you said.. My opinion! Quite Empty.. We park hop every day, something times, two to three times in one day.. I can get from park to park in 15 minutes or less.. I see the parks from all angles. I live here in Florida and go to the park very very often.. This is very unusual to have crowds like this.. and by the way I have a good time every time I go.. Oh, and by the way, SE was open.. and anyway that would not have a bearing on park crowds... Have a Disney day!! :mickey:

PS If theres anything you need to know about WDW, I'm glad to help you...

magicofdisney
01-26-2008, 12:08 PM
We were at Disney from 1/15-1/18. On Wednesday, the 17th we spent the day at MK. It was great! We got 18 rides in that day. The lines were very short. I did notice slightly larger crowds on Thursday, perhaps gearing up for the holiday weekend. Maybe that's what drew them in.

MaryBelle
01-26-2008, 02:49 PM
Not sure if this might be part of the reason, but it NY, this was Regents week for high schools-no classes, just exams. Many students do not take Regents Exams in January, they take them in June, so they pretty much have a week off. That might contribute to many NY families making the trip this week. The fact that it occurred the week of MLK day makes it even more likely they'd book up this week.

BluewaterBrad
01-28-2008, 03:50 PM
I think mjackln was just trying to help dude.:mickey:

cinderellagrl
01-28-2008, 04:40 PM
My mom and Dad are at the Grand Flo this weekend. They said that when they checked in all the parking lots were full and that cars were parked along side the road. A cast member told them that there are a lot of conventions in the area, and that because it was around the MLK weekend many of them brought their families. He informed them that crowds should die back down this week.

BouncingTigger
01-28-2008, 08:14 PM
[QUOTE=CaptSmee;1528906]

Look.. I was also there Jan 7th 8th 9th 10th 2008 It was jammed.. I have been going to WDW for over 25yrs... You have not shown me anything in your post that I don't already know.. I have been there on or around these dates for years.. It has nothing to do with all that you said.. My opinion! Quite Empty.. We park hop every day, something times, two to three times in one day.. I can get from park to park in 15 minutes or less.. I see the parks from all angles. I live here in Florida and go to the park very very often.. This is very unusual to have crowds like this.. and by the way I have a good time every time I go.. Oh, and by the way, SE was open.. and anyway that would not have a bearing on park crowds... Have a Disney day!! :mickey:

I think CaptSmee's post was helpful and well thought out. Even if you do disagree, maybe tone it down a bit? We are all Disney fans and it's good to hear other people's help and views.

Also, I see you are pretty new to Intercot, and since I didn't get a chance to say this before...WELCOME to INTERCOT! :party::welcome:

Mickey91
01-28-2008, 09:44 PM
The question then becomes when does MLK week end. I never knew some many folks could not only get MLK off but make it into a week event. Being that I am part of the educational community I find it very difficult to understand why families would take advantage of a one day holiday.

We homeschool both our children right now but DS is going to the public high school this fall. We are taking advantage of the one day Labor Day Holiday to lessen the amount of days he will miss. My DH isn't able to get a summer vacation as is the case with a lot of folks, especially since our school system seems to be making the summer holiday shorter every year. So, it may be that it is one of the only times that people can get away. And four days missed is better than five. Just my:twocents:.:mickey:

Mickey91
01-28-2008, 10:06 PM

I can't imagine what was said that could have sparked such a ferocious reply. It is well known that EMH tend to produce heavier attendance at the parks. Maybe you didn't intend for your comment to have such venom but here at Intercot, even when we squabble, we try to do it in a Disney fashion. Sometimes we all get carried away with topics we are very passionate about but we try not to bite each other's heads off. By the way:

:welcome:

Here we go again...
01-28-2008, 11:36 PM
In addition to MLK you were there for the National Cheer/Dance competition for high school and college.
Teams come from all over the country... and there are a LOT of them.
It sounds like they were hitting the parks during their breaks.

WDW1985
01-28-2008, 11:45 PM

Man, can't we all just get along??? :hug:

...let's all join in a chorus of Zipadee Doo Dah!!! :whistle:

:mickey:

Tinkitude
01-29-2008, 09:14 AM
I agree.:mickey: This is not a topic that should cause any arguing. There are tons of things that could effect the crowds at any given time. I'm sure the time is coming where it will be impossible to predict when the "slow" times will be. There are lots of ways around the crowds, and I appreciate the tips I have learned here about doing so. If you can just remember to pack a little extra patience, any time can be a great time at Disney!:cloud9: Gee, I'm missing it really badly now. Might be time to plan the next trip!!!!:mickey:

mykidsmom
01-29-2008, 02:20 PM
I just returned from a trip Jan 5 -9th. Since I go annually, I have found that the week prior to the marathon or between the marathon and MLK weekend, are the best times to go. I must admit that Jan 5, 6th were extremely crowded. I am guessing the last of the New Years crowd and it being a weekend. January 7, 8, 9th were like heaven, empty parks and walk- on attractions, just like January should be. Looking forward to the same week next year!

tundramom
01-29-2008, 08:08 PM
3. Lotusphere is this week...probably the biggest convention at WDW...they've taken over the Swan, Dolphin and at least portions of the Yacht and Beach Club. Number of attendees and staff probably exceeds 15000...plus spouses, families, etc.

Pardon my ignorance but what is Lotusphere?

suzicreates
01-29-2008, 08:57 PM
We were in Disney from Jan 20th-25th. Only days crowds were really bad for us was Friday the 25th and we expected those.

My husband played golf on Thursday and the man he partnered with was from Brazil and mentioned that the dollar is really weak there and this is the 2 week holiday break for most of the country so he said tons and tons of Brazilians were treking up and down Florida from Orlando to Miami to make the most of their money. It made total sense since I saw tons of people holding flags and large groups following them.

As far as my family goes, our school system had exams and tons of half days and days off surrounding the MLK holiday so we took advantage of the kids missing minimal days of school.

Have a Disney Day!!!

King Triton
01-30-2008, 09:03 AM
Pardon my ignorance but what is Lotusphere?

Its a computer software conference held annually near the end of January. Lotus refers to Lotus Software, a division of IBM. The product of theirs you may most be familiar with is Lotus Notes.

Anyway, this conference is housed primarily in the Swan and Dolphin hotels, but also spills into some of the Disney hotels -- such as the Yacht and Beach Club. I attended about 5 years ago and there were about 8000 attendees then, and it has grown to over 10,000 by now. Add in all the Lotus/IBM employees and a lot of families, and you get a large crowd.

Also, during Lotusphere week, you will usually find that one of the WDW parks will close "early", like at 5 or 6, then reopen again from 7 to 10 for Lotusphere attendees. Of course, this would exclude Epcot. I believe this usually occurs on Wednesday of Lotusphere week.

At one time, Lotusphere was the largest conference held on property; I don't know if that is still true. Also, rumor has it that the conference center expansion that took place at the Dolphin several years back was fueled by Lotus looking into other venues for their conference. The Dolphin agreed to expand their facilities if Lotus would commit to a long term contract, which they did. Again, thats speculation...

Sorry that was so long winded!

senderella
01-30-2008, 09:20 AM
I am leaving on Friday. I was there the same time last year and there were absolutely no crowds. Hopefully the crowds will have lessened. If not that is okay too. It is all magic to me and I don't mind to just sit on a bench in front of the castle and watch the crowds. It is great seeing "first timers" reactions, especially for kids.