PDA

View Full Version : Summer Vacation Cruise?

DisnIse
01-24-2008, 04:47 PM
Hi,

I am hoping to work a cruise for 2009 or even 2010. Both DH and I teach, and all three of our boys will be in full day school at that point.

We don't get the same spring breaks, so our options are really to go over New Years or summer. (We couldn't be gone for Christmas - family would kill us)

I know summer in Florida is hot, humid, sticky, and yucky. Is it the same on a cruise? Forgive me - I've never been more than 15 feet from the beach on either coast.

If you had to pick between summer and holiday time, which would be better? Is either one less expensive than the other?

DisneyDudet
01-24-2008, 05:35 PM
Well, I have cruised in May, and its not too horrible. It is humid and everything, but the sun is what is killer. I enjoyed it. I have also sailed in Jan, and it is cooler, almost too cool until you've hit the Caribbean. The water is almost too cold to have a good time.

Holidays will probably be more pricey, just because holiday cruises are very popular.

We are going this summer for a 4 day, and can't wait! We will most likely book another 7 day Eastern to Tortola while on board, that will happen in the summer of 2009.

The thing with cruises is, you can either go on deck and enjoy the sun (it will be breezy on board so it won't seem as hot, but this causes you to burn, as you don't know you're as hot as you really are!), or you can go inside and enjoy many of the activities they offer. We spent a lot of time indoors in Jan, just because the activities were so great!

The islands are pretty warm year around, and the temps don't change much. We were in St. Maarten and I was sweating, even in shorts and tank top! The humidity might get you, but its just so pretty, you tend to forget about it!

Summer time might offer some clouds and daily storms to cool off the islands.

I can't tell you what to do, but we will be doing two summer cruises. It all depends on what you would like to do... take in the water on the beaches or just relax on the beach. The kids probably won't care about the temp!

ElenitaB
01-28-2008, 07:54 PM
The main concern I would have about cruising in the summer is that it's hurricane season. We've cruised right around Thanksgiving and the temps in Nassau were much warmer than in Orlando (where it snowed... the real stuff, not the Disney stuff).

No matter when you go, it's a wonderful vacation!