PDA

View Full Version : MLK Weekend - 1/17 to 1/21

rwdavis2
01-24-2008, 03:36 PM
So, I’m back after 6 days in Orlando and I thought I’d offer up my experiences and observations as a small way to pay back all the great info I’ve gotten here. I’m not going to bore anyone with too much of the day to day tedium of the trip.

Overall
We were there from Thursday 1/17 and essentially returned Monday 1/21. (over Martin Luther King weekend). The itinerary was Friday: MK, Saturday: Universal, Sunday: Hollywood Studios /AK, and Monday: Epcot.

The crowds were heavier than I expected. If you’re familiar with the Touring Plans site and how they rate them I’d say around 6, possibly 7. But, as context, we only visit in January and the last WDW visit was in 2004. I could be wrong about the relative crowd level.

Use a touring plan. Although we felt a bit rushed early in the morning, we got to ride what we wanted early and then could take it easier the rest of the day.

We stayed off site and rented a townhouse through All Star Vacation Homes. A very nice 3br/3ba house with kitchen and washer/dryer. Highly recommended. With taxes, various fees, and travel insurance we paid $900 for 4 nights. We were less than 5 minutes from World Drive.

Friday: Magic Kingdom
Arrived about 20 minutes prior to rope drop. Went straight to Space Mtn. and walked on. By 11:30 we had done Space Mtn, Buzz, Teacups, Peter Pan, Mickey’s Philharmagic, Small World, Haunted mansion, and Thunder Mtn. We only used a Fastpass for Peter Pan and everything else was walk on. By the time we got round to Jungle Cruise it had a 30 minute wait so we skipped it. We later did COP and TTA. While riding TTA through Space Mtn. the lights we all up and we could see both tracks all the way up (sorry no pics). It had broken down. We returned with a FP around 4:00 and it was closed for the day. The crowds were pretty heavy, for me anyway, and I will avoid MLK weekend in the future.

Saturday: Universal
We went to Universal last year over MLK week end and it was pretty empty then. This year was very busy by comparison. We were able to do most of IoA (got there at opening) with no waits and went over to US. Shrek and Jimmy Neutron had 20-30 minute waits. Mummy was up to 30 minutes. Jaws was 30+ and MIB was about 45. Disaster was up to 50 minutes. Last year the waits were about half of this if not walk-on. IMHO, Spiderman is the best ride in any Disney or Universal park.

Sunday: Hollywood Studios/AK
Got there prior to rope drop and did ToT as walk on and got RnR FP. We eventually made it to Star Tours and once we were all loaded everyone in that ship got Dream Fastpasses for the day. Awesome! We eventually got back to RnR to ride twice with FPs and another ride on ToT. Ate lunch at 50’s Prime Time Café, and no it hadn’t closed yet as scheduled.

We tired to do AK but it was too late to ride anything as FPs were all gone and waits were 50-60 minutes. Learned that park hopping with the intentions of doing E-Ticket rides is a **** shoot at best.

By this time my wife got sick and had to be taken to Celebration Hospital with pneumonia. Spent 2 days there and she’s home and doing fine. FYI, this is a fairly new hospital. It's located on the southern side of Rt. 192 just east of I-4. The "H" hospital signs on Disney property direct you there. My wife, a nurse, gave it a big thumbs up for care and she's pretty picky.

Monday: Epcot
I dropped the kids (16 and 13) off there as we didn’t want them hanging around the hospital. They rode Sourin’ (FP) and Test Track. They had fun and I eventually took them to the airport.

In Conclusion
Up until the visit to the hospital we had a great time. Though, the crowds were at the limit we would want to experience again. I can’t imagine going at peak times. Even using a touring plan and ending up with short waits, I just wouldn’t want to wade through the crowds at peak time. No ride is worth 45+ minutes in line, especially if you’ve done it before.

I realize now that a trip to Disney is like an Everest Expedition. To do it successfully it needs significant planning, a big outlay of dollars, and stamina. When we do it again we will build in days off after every 2 days in the parks. Getting up and going that early takes its toll after a couple days.

When we go to Universal again we will get an Express Pass. This crowd-proofs your visit. We like to do some of the rides multiple times and the lines this time made it difficult.

Park Hopping. I wouldn’t consider Park Hopping at busy times with the intention of actually getting to do what you want at the second park. I think you must plan for one park a day so to get there when it opens. Then Park Hop if you want to see something that’s not high demand at the second park. Otherwise the extra $40+ per ticket is not worth it.

Also, feel free to PM or post any questions. I'll be happy to answer them.
Edit/Delete Message

mickeysworld
01-24-2008, 04:05 PM
Thanks for sharing. Sorry to hear about your detour to the hospital and so glad that your wife is feeling better!

I have to say I agree completely with regards to trying to park hop. We did this on our last trip as we had fellow travelers who couldn't go home without riding on EE at AK, so up at the crack of dawn we headed over for a morning EMH, hit EE and the safari and then hoofed it over to MK for the rest of the day. Sounds great in theory but I felt we wasted soooo much time traveling from one place to the next. First we had to wait for a bus to the TTC, then by the time we made it there, the line for the monorail and ferry to the MK were looooonnnggg! There was no line for the resort monorail however so we hopped on that and made it to the MK via the Poly and GF. All in all, it probably took us over an hour and a half, which when you have limited time and are itching to have fun and ride rides, seems like an eternity!

The only time, IMHO, park hopping is worth it is if you do have a longer amount of time and are taking the - one park in the morning, back to the hotel for an afternoon break, and out to another park for the evening - strategy. Just my two cents! Again thanks for the report. It's always nice to hear about stays during a holiday.

TBY2225
01-24-2008, 04:40 PM
I am so sorry to hear that your wife got sick. Glad she is doing better now! I was down this past weekend as well. I thought the crowds were awful!

Goofeygal
01-24-2008, 04:48 PM
Glad your wife is doing better.:mickey:

faline
01-25-2008, 11:58 AM
Oh goodness! It certainly sounds like this trip didn't go exactly as you had planned! Glad your wife is feeling better but sorry she missed out on so much Disney time.

I find that having time to relax really becomes a necessity. Disney is a very busy place!

Congrats on your fast passes!

tinkerbell04
01-25-2008, 12:33 PM
WOW! Thanks for sharing, I am so sorry that your wife had to spend time at the hospital. I am glad though that she is feeling better. :mickey:

rwdavis2
01-25-2008, 01:20 PM
One more comment. I rode Journey into the Imagination with Figment. IMHO, that ride has to be the biggest waste of time I have ever seen. There were only 3 of us on the ride that I could see. Just empty. The ride should be shut down and replaced, ASAP. What was done must have been the least expensive thing they could get away with. Even the original was better than this.
Bob

pdrlkr
01-25-2008, 05:06 PM
Thanks for sharing.

vizsla
01-26-2008, 08:02 AM
So sorry to hear that your wife got sick. Thanks for the report.

dolphinmickey9170
01-28-2008, 11:06 AM
So sorry to hear about your wife's illness. I sure hope she is feeling better. Thanks for sharing.:mickey:

BluewaterBrad
01-28-2008, 05:02 PM
Here We Go STEELERS!!!!!!!!:mickey:

rwdavis2
01-29-2008, 01:08 PM
Here We Go STEELERS!!!!!!!!:mickey:

HERE WE GO!!

RedheadWriter
01-30-2008, 03:39 PM
Rwdavis2 wrote: I could be wrong about the relative crowd level.

January was packed! I also like your comparison to an Everest Expedition. So true!:mickey: