PDA

View Full Version : Young’s Winter Weekend Getaway! Final Thoughts!

TBY2225
01-24-2008, 11:34 AM
Young’s Winter Weekend Getaway!

Dates: January 18th -21st
Staying 3 nights at Pop Century with 2 day MYW hoppers & water park & more option!

Once again happily booked with Nanci at MJ!

Cast:
Me- 33 5th trip to DW/ one trip to DL
DH- 34 5th trip to DW

Final thoughts!

In spite of what I heard on Intercot and also on a WDW podcast, about previous years, the parks were packed this year for MLK weekend. A lot of the airline carriers offered great deals and also Disney was offering the free hopper and water park and more option. I really don’t think there is a “low” season anymore.

It was so nice being able to ride RnR and E:E three times each in less than an hour! We were able to do so much more by using the single rider line and also FP’s. I recommend getting to the park when they open, immediately getting a FP and getting in the stand-by line. This early the stand-by line is usually walk-on and then you get to experience it and still have a FP to do it again later. That early the return time for FP is usually less than an hour so you can do other things in the area and not have to worry about being on another side of the park when your time becomes available.

I noticed with the FP’s that the CM’s never paid attention to the date or return time. We used ours like we were suppose to, but I guess they were just too busy to care.

I was shocked at how many people were in t-shirts, shorts, and flip-flops in the 40 degree weather. I know it is Florida, but it does get cold in the winter months. People should always be prepared for any kind of weather. I over heard one family talking about having to spend $400 to buy sweatshirts, hats, gloves, and crocs because they only had summer clothes. Disney does make these things readily available, but at ridiculously high prices!

I learned a tip on one of the WDW podcast that worked great! If your shoes get soaked, buy a newspaper and crumple it up and stuff in your shoes. The next morning they will be dry! I didn’t think it would work, but we tried it and it really does! The outside was still a little damp, but the inside was bone dry!

DH and shared almost every meal. The portion sizes at all the CS places we ate at were huge and could easily be shared.

mickey&missy
01-24-2008, 12:00 PM
Sounds like you and DH had a great trip! I'd love to be able to take a little getaway weekend to WDW with DH, we'll see ;)

You have some great tips! I didn't know about putting newspaper in wet shoes, I'll keep that in mind! Also, being prepared for the weather is sooo important. Florida weather can be really crazy! Our trip in March 05 it was freezing and rainy most of the time. Luckily, I was prepared for the cold and rain. By the last day of the trip it was 80 and sunny! Crazy!

tinkerbell04
01-24-2008, 02:20 PM
We tried the newspaper thing last time too! We were surprised that it worked so well. Thanks for sharing your trip and your final thoughts. I love to read trip reports, it gives me a little bit of Disney magic in my day :mickey:

Hair_Razor
01-24-2008, 08:37 PM
How fun that you were able to have a getaway, I'm sure the kids missed you though, well at least jealous!

faline
01-25-2008, 12:02 PM
I have been hearing that crowds have really been up this January! Glad you were able to do so much despite that!

pdrlkr
01-25-2008, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the report! :smickey:

McGoofy
01-26-2008, 01:48 PM
Wanna keep my DS for a weekend? ;)

I am so glad that you guys had such a fun time as a couple. I think that was an awesome Christmas present that you gave each other. That's going to be hard to top next Christmas!!!:mickey:

dolphinmickey9170
01-26-2008, 06:37 PM
What a great adult getaway, thanks for taking us along.:mickey:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
01-26-2008, 11:07 PM
Thanks for sharing the trip. The $400 vouchers would have been hard to pass up but I probably would have passedon it too. On the way home would have been a different story though, I'd have taken it in a heartbeat!

vizsla
01-27-2008, 07:51 AM
Thanks for the report.

RedheadWriter
01-30-2008, 02:41 PM
I too thought the crowds were WAY more than normal when I am there in January. Thanks:mickey: for sharing!!!

DizNee143
02-04-2008, 04:22 PM
thanx for sharing your trip with us..i really enjoyed reading all about it!! :mickey:

Bethis26fan
02-12-2008, 08:45 PM
Thanks for sharing.

MauiMouse
02-13-2008, 09:50 AM
Glad to hear that you had a great trip. Thanks for sharing and the tips. :thumbsup:

#1disneyfan
02-13-2008, 09:10 PM
Sounds like you two had a great adult only weekend. When we travel in the summer months, I even bring at least one pair of capri's and a sweater or sweatshirt. You just never know with the weather.

Thanks for sharing.

JoDisney
02-14-2008, 09:51 AM
Did POP change their refillable mug design for 2008 or are they the same blue "when dreams come true" mugs that they had imprinted 2007. Should they not redesign for 2008???