PDA

View Full Version : California Grill and Kids

mickeysworld
01-24-2008, 12:14 AM
Interested in trying Cali Grill for the first time in December but we have 3 DDs, ages 8, 6, and 2. They are well-behaved young ladies and all are used to eating out in restaurants. Do you think it's ok to bring children this young? Don't want to upset our fellow diners! TIA!

DisneyGiant
01-24-2008, 12:21 AM
We brought my nephews when they were ages 6 & 2 - but that was four years ago. They were very well behaved too.

I think you'll be fine ...........

Jared
01-24-2008, 01:08 AM
Interested in trying Cali Grill for the first time in December but we have 3 DDs, ages 8, 6, and 2. They are well-behaved young ladies and all are used to eating out in restaurants. Do you think it's ok to bring children this young? Don't want to upset our fellow diners! TIA!
You know your children better than we do, so it's really impossible to make an accurate recommendation. California Grill is an upscale restaurant geared toward adults, but you know that already. It still is Walt Disney World, and everything, except for Victoria & Albert's, welcomes kids.

If they are well-behaved and not will not disturb other diners -- many of which are couples expecting a luxurious night out -- I would definitely take the kids along. California Grill is a special experience, and you may not have the opportunity to dine there without them.

Explain the situation to your children, especially the two older ones, and see how they react. It's definitely not an easy decision, and I hope everything works out.

mrsgaribaldi
01-24-2008, 04:25 AM
I've eaten there many times and there are always kids dining too. If they start to act up and be a bother to someone else, just take a time out if you can. I think like Jared said, you might not be able to dine there without them. I would go and enjoy yourselves:mickey:

SBETigg
01-24-2008, 06:18 AM
It is a fine place to bring kids and I've seen little ones there. The atmosphere, though more upscale, is bright and inviting, and there are plenty of places to walk out and entertain a kid should one need a break. I would give it a shot.

mudpuppysmom
01-24-2008, 10:52 AM
We were just there this past Sunday and took our 5 yr old. What we did was this:

Once we figured out what he was eating, we ordered it for him so he could be busy eating while our food was being prepared.

We got an appetizer, sushi and our meals plus dessert and our DS was pretty much occupied during the entire meal (thanks to crayons and paper plus the host who helped us with translation for Spanish colors).

So, if you feel your kids will be "good" I'd take them.....why I say that is that there were a few kids there who were not Cali Grill material.....one boy playing drums on the glasses and plates with his silverware......another little girl throwing a MAJOR tantrum and her parents just sat there.

I'd take ours again -- he enjoyed it very much and also enjoyed the view!!

KAT1811
01-24-2008, 12:09 PM
It is a fine place to bring kids and I've seen little ones there.

:ditto:

We were there in September with a group of 15. We had our three girls with us (10, 2, & 10 months at the time) and our neighbor's DD 4. We had a wonderful dinner. Our server was extremely attentive not only to our needs but those of the children as well. (He brought me a demitasse spoon to feed the baby with without me asking as well as crayons and the like.) We make sure we bring things to keep the children entertained (right now DD#2 is into My Littlest Pet Shop animals and they come everywhere with us and keep her entertained the entire meal). I noticed many children in the restaurant while we were there. Actually more tables had children seated at them than not.

I'm sure your children will be fine. In my opinion, it's Disney and children are part of the package so, I wouldn't worry.

Maybe you can pick up a new coloring or activity book and crayons in one of the parks before dinner and introduce it to the children at dinner. A new toy usually does the trick. They have these great trace princess plate things that you put over blank paper (included) and trace the cut outs to create pictures your older DDs might enjoy these and they can share it as there are a few different plates included.

robemcdo
01-24-2008, 01:08 PM
Like someone said, It's Disney...no place at Disney should be without kids.

I'd say that if you have any concerns about the children, try to arrange to eat at an early hour. 5-6. I'd think most of the 'romantic' restaurant goers would be filing in later than that.

PinKy
01-24-2008, 02:09 PM
Absolutely! Every time we've been there we have seen families with small children dining. We bring our son with us when we go. For sure it is not considered a "Family Restaurant" but the waitstaff is great with kids..... its WDW after all.

wire0monkey
01-24-2008, 02:33 PM
If they're well-behaved generally, take them. It's the nicest "family" restaurant that I've ever been to. We took a 4 year old boy and a 1.5 year old boy and it was a wonderful experience. We ordered our food and then went out on the balconies to look at the MK and the lake while we waited for the food. The server gave us gold fish crackers and crayons to draw with on the paper "tablecloth." The kids liked their food, and we loved ours.

It was a wonderful experience and is one of my top recommendations for family dining at WDW. (Believe it or not!)

mickeysworld
01-24-2008, 02:33 PM
Wow! Thanks for all the great suggestions and opinions. Kat1811, I will definetely look for the princess plate things, sounds like something my girls would love and robemcdo, we typically eat dinner early (5-6 pm) as the littlest one has an early bedtime, so thanks for that suggestion. Thanks again everyone!

dteed
01-24-2008, 02:52 PM
Definitely bring the kids. We bring ours every time we go, of course they eat out alot. You will be fine, if they start getting restless just take a walk outside and enjoy the view a little. If they are picky eaters order the flatbread with only cheese. They are very accomidating.

brown1442
01-25-2008, 12:47 AM
We took our children this past december (2007) to Cali Grill. They are only 2 and 4 and LOVED it! My kids are very used to eating out and are well behaved. It was a rather long meal (over 2 hours) and they had no issues with it. The staff was awesome!! The boys LOVED the fireworks!! Overall it was a fantastic experience!!

My 4 year old actually tells everyone his favorite restaurant in Disney was the California Grill!! LOL!! He's got good taste!

samefay
01-29-2008, 09:45 AM
on Monday the 21st. She's 6 yrs old.
We all had a wonderful time.
She ordered the salmon with rice and green beans. (She eats really well)
She also had a salad as an appetizer and the server brought out goldfish crackers just in case.
The crayons help too but she was into her food and the view we had was amazing.
Your kids should be fine.
Hope you have a wonderful vacation!