PDA

View Full Version : Picking a week in November 2008

skadar2
01-23-2008, 09:52 PM
Still trying to nail down dates for our big 2008 trip, as I keep uncovering new information.

Our #1 desire is light crowds. Our #2 priority is hot weather (for swimming).

We are targeting November 8 - 16, 2008. Does Veteran's Day have much influence on crowds? The only other factors I've found are Jersey Week for the first weekend (8,9) and Food & Wine, which wraps up that same weekend.

Any thoughts? Our other option is to target the week directly after Thanksgiving, November 29 - December 7.

It's so hard to predict which will be better!

snorgg
01-23-2008, 10:02 PM
I willl be there Nov.9-16. I don't believe Veterens day will be to crowed seeing that it is on a Tues. I will be interested in other opinions also.

Twinsowner
01-23-2008, 11:50 PM
I was there veterans day last year and it wasnt a problem. There were obviously more people that day than the other days of the week but it still was not bad. We attended AK that particular day then went over to MGM for the osbourne lights.

sillyolbear
01-24-2008, 09:13 AM
My experience with the Food and Wine Festival is that weekends and some nights are more crowded, but the weekdays aren't terribly impacted.

sorarail
01-24-2008, 09:15 AM
We have developed a habit of going in November because of our wedding anniversary. (it's the 12th) This year, we'll be there from Nov 8 to 14th.
The week used to fall during a "value" season, but now it's regular. So, we're paying a bit more to stay on site.
We have found that, during our earlier stays at least, that lines for most things are fairly short, there are a lot of foreigners, families with pre-school aged children and retirees. One thing I would recommend that if there is somewhere in particular you want to eat, make an ADR. People come out of the woodwork at dinner time.
We have experienced warm swimming weather, as well as cool sweater weather, so I would also recommend being prepared for both.

Tick-Tock
01-24-2008, 01:00 PM
Super Soap weekend usually is that second weekend in November as well.

cruellalvr
01-24-2008, 04:45 PM
Last time we went, we went for the end of October, beginning of November. The cool thing about that time is that you watch the halloween decorations come down and the Christmas decorations come up. You also get to finish up the year celebration (Year of a Million Dreams) and see the new celebration start. It was soooo cool to be one of the first families to have a few wishes granted. I didn't have a clue prior to receiving the wishes that they were granting any. The crowds were sooo easy. We used fastpass but it wasnt really necessary. We just wanted to try it out. I think the longest lines were 1 hour and that was only a couple of lines. Most of them were 15 minutes tops.

Harriet
01-24-2008, 07:21 PM
I went the week follow Thanksgiving and it was Great. The big plus was all the Christmas Decorations where up and MGM had Osbourn Lights,Epcot had Story telling,Candlelight Processinal,and so much more,MK had Christmas Party Nights,I could go on and on and on. The weather was great during day and cool in the evening for a jacket. Whatever you choose I am sure you will have a great time. Oh one last thing the crowds where not bad at all.

skadar2
01-24-2008, 11:50 PM
Guess what? We've settled on December 6-14. Hah! So much for November! We figured that the weather that time of year is so similar and variable, that there's no real reason to expect November to be better. And we like the Xmas atmosphere.

Mickey 101
01-25-2008, 12:57 AM
I know you've already decided, but just so you're aware.......the Christmas parade is usually taped in MK the first week of December. It makes navigating the park a little bit of a challenge, but doesn't impact lines too badly and you may even have a celebrity citing or two. Have a great trip!!

skadar2
01-25-2008, 10:55 AM
Actually... sigh... I just learned last night that Dec 6-14 is Pop Warner week. I've been reading reviews of that week, and it really scares me. We are now thinking of bumping it up by one week to the very first week of December, which would include arriving on the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

I know that's a busy weekend, but we really only have Sunday to deal with. Then I imagine the rest of that week will be quiet.

That sounds much better to me than groups of middle-school girls practicing their cheers all over the place. Ugh.

rj
01-26-2008, 09:46 AM
We have going Thanksgiving Week - please avoid, and the week before Thanksgiving Week. The week before was a good week both times with less crowds.

As far as swimming the pools are heated at the resorts and our kids swam every time that we have going, no matter the time of year.