PDA

View Full Version : Animal Kingdom Lodge

sneezyone
01-23-2008, 01:37 PM
We'll be spending a week at the AKL...we have a savannah view room....what does everyone recommed as far as what to see there, what to eat and is there any specific "trail" or room/floor to request to make our TENTH ANNIVERSARY trip super-super special?

Thanks!

BigRedDad
01-23-2008, 02:14 PM
If you can get a Savannah room on the Arusha Rock side, you'll love it. Enjoy the lounge, Boma, the pool bar, the other Savannahs, the stories.

Have fun.

King Triton
01-23-2008, 02:24 PM
Make sure you eat at Boma!

Davyjones
01-23-2008, 02:43 PM
My wife and I LOVE the Animal Kingdom Lodge! And the Boma is one of our favorite places to eat at WDW! We always go there at least once whenever we're down there. I really enjoy breakfast at the Boma! :eat:

Oh, and while at the Boma, try the Zebra Domes! Delicious!

JMTStone
01-23-2008, 02:58 PM
We LOVED AKL. Can't miss is the gift shop. I just love it. I loved the smell there too. Go ahead and sniff! Its FREE! Sit by the fire at night near the lobby.

Have a WONDERFUL time!

dteed
01-23-2008, 03:03 PM
I have never stayed at the AKL but we have eaten there a few times. If you go out the rear of the lobby at night you can or at least could get night vision glasses from a CM on the pathway. My son lost a bet with a friend of his on this one. Interesting way to view animals at night.

LauraF
01-23-2008, 04:12 PM
Eat at Boma!

My parents have AKL as their home resort and always get a Savannah room but don't have a preference. They tell me all the Savannah rooms have great and unique views as the animals move around a great deal.

RedSoxFan
01-23-2008, 06:25 PM
You will love AKL. Take time to enjoy the lobby -- it's just breathtaking. The gift shop is unique and you must eat at BOMA's. Enjoy:mickey:

DakotaDisney
01-23-2008, 07:55 PM
- Boma, especially for breakfast
- the Gift Shop

- Night vision goggles (2nd or 3rd floor on the right side of the lobby by the big window to the savanna)

- Zebra Trail rooms
- Walk all aroud the pool and see the flamingos and other animals on the other side of the pool
- Arusha Rock at different times of the day

Mollywobbles
01-24-2008, 12:29 AM
I just got home from the AKL. It's a great resort. Our room was on the Zebra Trail on the Arusha Savanna (that's the one you see when you go out the back door of the lodge). We had a view of the savanna. The animals move freely about the savanna so you see more at times that at others. I was surprised to even see them out at night. They seemed be closer to the buildings after dark.

If you don't have a savanna view room you there are still several places where you can watch the animals.

The resort has great food. We ate at Boma, but we only ate at Mara a few times. Since we were doing Concierge we already had snacks.

And speaking of concierge, the only thing I didn't like about it was that our room wasn't on the same floor as the concierge lounge. We had a room on the 4th floor (lounge is on the 6th). 5th and 6th floors rooms are now part of the DVC.

AKL has a great pool.Well, at least it looks great. I didn't have a chance to try it. Too cool on some days and I was too busy on other. Of course, I didn't pack my swimsuit anyway.

I hope that you'll have a great time.

sneezyone
01-31-2008, 01:25 PM
Thanks everyone! I'm hoping that this will be our best trip ever! I want to try to make sure that there are all kinds of surprises to keep mr sneezyone happy....

sneezyone
02-15-2008, 11:07 AM
is there anything I could ask for that might make the 10th anniversary aspect more "special"????

do they do anything special like buttons or something?

Stickey
02-15-2008, 12:31 PM
The CM should give you anniversary buttons at check-in(if you tell them that you are there for your anniversary).

The best savannah view rooms are: Zebra Trail, facing the Arusha savannah. The Arusha savannah has zebras, giraffes, wildebeest, elands, ankole cattle, and some birds. The other savannahs have a different combination of animals.

Make sure that you watch the animals from your balcony at different times of the day. The animals are especially active at feeding time. In the afternoon, it is usually around 4:30-5:30. The animals will follow the CM trucks that contain snacks for the animals.

After dark, walk to the Arusha Rock viewing area and use the night vision binoculars. The CM's are often from Africa and can provide interesting information.

I recommend dinner at Jiko and breakfast at Boma. Dinner is also good at Boma and Mara is solid for a quicker breakfast, or lunch.

The gift shop is one of the best at WDW.