PDA

View Full Version : Preparing kids for pin trading. Advice?

skadar2
01-23-2008, 01:32 AM
I think my kids will really enjoy pin trading at WDW when we head down this year. Is it best to arrive with a stash of pins ready to trade? I was thinking of getting them each a small bunch of pins from eBay before the trip.

PrincessEmmasMommy
01-23-2008, 05:49 AM
We did this with DD4 1/2 last summer. Now she is so into it that we go to our local pin trading club's meetings almost every other week. We bought pins on ebay and had them in a ziplock. She looked at CM's lanyards and picked a pin and gave one from the bag. She really enjoyed it and started hunting for more princesses. Enjoy!
Jen

Mom to a Princess and a Prince
01-23-2008, 07:58 AM
Definitely get some on Ebay before your trip. They are much cheaper and since the pins weren't hand selected, it will be much easier for your kids to trade them. My kids usually buy some favorites while in the World to keep and trade those that I find on Ebay. Have a great time!

CleveSJM
01-23-2008, 09:07 AM
I agree with the previous two posters. Get some from eBay but make sure you get them from a good seller. Some of the sellers have these tiny little pins that really should not be traded one-for-one with the real CM pins. Beware of a price that is too low and then check the feedback. Usually something fishy with those...

I would also suggest using a lanyard to trade from. We load it up with 8 tradeable pins each morning and kids love wearing/displaying their pins.

:thumbsup:

biodtl
01-23-2008, 10:19 AM
I would encourage them to look to CMs for trades rather than other guests. Some folks are serious about their pins and won't trade for anything that's not a "big win".

The CMs, however, are very nice about it and will trade as long as they don't already have the pin you are trying to trade with.

Of course there are a lot of nice guests who will trade, but it's hard to know who they are and kids can get disappointed. I had a little girl of about 6 approach me in Epcot last time and ask to trade (I was wearing DD's lanyard) and we happily traded. We gave her a choice of several pins we would be willing to trade and everyone was happy. When we were done, she went to play in the fountains with DD and her mom thanked me for being so nice and told me that she had asked someone else and was told no - not rudely, really, but firmly enough that the girl felt bad and embarrassed.

So I say look for CMs or maybe other families with similar aged kids and strike up a conversation.

skadar2
01-23-2008, 04:11 PM
When we last engaged in pin trading (2000), it was pretty much understood that a CM wasn't allowed to refuse an official pin trade. The post above makes it sound like this isn't the case.

No big deal though. I'm sure my kids will have fun trading at kid-only CMs regardless.

Kenny1113
01-24-2008, 09:47 AM
I prefer to buy the pins from the Disney Outlets, they're cheaper ( no shipping) and you don't have the fear of worring if they are authentic or not. I have a store locally, but I know there is at least one in orlando.

jpH/keD
01-25-2008, 03:22 PM
We went a little silly w/ this in Nov. BUT we made it very clear to our kids, DD6 and DS4 that if someone wanted to trade they had to be nice and not to be bossy.(mostly DD6) If they didnt want to trade a pin they were to keep it in the safe at the room! That way no feelings got hurt! They made some friends and had an absolute BLAST! We traded w/ the CMs at the different character meals we went to! They were SOOOO nice to our kids! I highly recommend this to anyone w/ outgoing kids! We started w/ a set from the resort gift shop and a few from our local Disney store! Have so much fun on your trip!:thumbsup:

Young@Heart
02-01-2008, 04:10 PM
My DC also enjoyed this immensely on our last trip! DS's were 12 and 9, and DD was 2. They loved trading pins at Epcot, and spent so much time looking at all the pins in the stores, esp. Downtown Disney.

We're going again in 7 months, and DC are alreading getting their pins and lanyards out, looking forward to trading again.

As PP said, my DC had the best luck trading with CM's or other kids their age. And I encouraged them not to wear any pins they DIDN'T want to trade, so no feelings would get hurt.

TinkRocks
02-07-2008, 02:46 PM
I would encourage kids to trade with CMs - CMs will happily trade with everyone, as long as you are not giving them a pin they are already displaying on their lanyard.

Make sure you keep your 'traders' and your 'keepers' separate.

Trading with other guests is hit or miss, as others have said. As Young@Heart said, kids are probably better at trading with other kids / families. Kids, in general, like pins based on what they like. Adults have specific wants in mind, but usually have a deeper understanding of the different types of pins available (LEs, CM, etc.).

There are some serious pin collectors out there, and some love to display their pin collection (on hats, jackets, lanyards, etc.). I have spoken with a few pin collectors, and they seem very friendly and willing to share their stories and advice.

Some CMs will trade only with kids, which is nice. Don't forget that it's not just the CMs in the parks that are into pin trading. Look for CM's who are wearing the lanyards or the belt / hip pin display in resorts, shopping areas (eg Downtown Disney), restaurants...