PDA

View Full Version : Insurance

deebee29
01-22-2008, 11:21 PM
Do you purchase Insurance as part of your Disney package? Is it worth the $133.90? Why or why not?

CleveRocks
01-23-2008, 06:15 AM
Did you purchase airfare as part of your Disney package? If you did, then the insurance os very likely worth it.

If you didn't, then the answer is much less clear, and depends on your personality. If you cancel the trip less than 6 days out (assuming this is a package), you will be charged a $200 cancellation fee, but will be refunded the rest of the money you paid (less, of course, the insurance premium).

So you're paying $133.90 to recover $200. So if you had to cancel with less than 6 days left, you'd get an extra $66.10 back compared with not buying the insurance.

Trip insurance does provide some other protection, such as paying for your medical transportation back home should you be medically unable to be transported by car in the event of serious accident or illness during your vacation, and so on.

Personally, if I don't buy airfare through Disney, I don't bother with the insurance, but that's just me.

vamaggie
01-23-2008, 08:04 AM
Before you buy trip insurance I would check with your credit cards. regular medical insurance and memberships (like AAA) to see if they cover costs. We never really buy the trip insurance .

faline
01-23-2008, 08:55 AM
Generally, if I go with a room only reservation I don't get the trip insurance. I do, however, get trip insurance if I'm going with a package. Is the price you're quoting through the Disney travel company? If so, there are third party insurers out there that can provide insurance for less than Disney.

prprincess
01-23-2008, 08:58 AM
I was actually going to this time around, but then I found some paperwork for the CC I used to pay for the trip, and it's included. :)

Tink1
01-23-2008, 09:48 AM
Disney insurance now includes your airfare, even if you do not purchase it through them.

Makes it a better value IMHO.

Nanci

Tygger7
01-23-2008, 10:14 AM
Even though we drive, I purchase the insurance. I've known too many people (co-workers & family) that have had medical emergencies while at WDW and the trip insurance was a life saver. For me, it's a small price to pay for peace of mind.

DDuck66
01-23-2008, 10:49 AM
We have never purchased it in the past, but we have always lived within driving distance. before last year, we were about 7 hours away, and now we live about an hour away. If you were flying, then the weather could cause cancellations for winter storms or summer hurricanes. I have also stayed at WDW during one of the hurricanes, and I felt safer there, than I was at my house.

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-23-2008, 10:49 AM
I always purchase the insurance for peace of mind...btw, Karen with MJ told me you can add it up until your final payment...so if you are paying over time you can take a little while to think about it.

adoptionislove
01-23-2008, 12:08 PM
We always purchase it!

I know a lady who broke her knee cap (ouch)! They flew her home 1st class and she recovered in a nice hotel post op!

So, you never know! And it is good piece of mind!

thrillme
01-23-2008, 12:22 PM
If it includes Air Fare, If you have a likely possibility of having to cancel then perhaps it's a good thing.

For the most part you can cancel or reschedule your hotel up to a certian date without penalty then after a certian date with some penalty. Plane "reschedule" could run about $100 a person or NOTHING to reschedule "depending" on your carrier. So you may or may not benefit a whole bunch. Check cancelation/reschedule policies before making a hard decision.

IF YOU DO PURCHASE...READ THE FINE PRINT.

There are a lot of things that come up that it doesn't cover.

I normally don't bother because my flight carrier I can cancel without penalty and my funds just get rolled into an account for a future flight. Disney has a policy that varies depending on when you cancel and a lot of hotels allow refund to perhaps $25 for cancellations made up to 48 hours.