PDA

View Full Version : Mom/Daughter Trip- Opinions Please

bshaw96
01-22-2008, 02:05 PM
I'm really torn on this one. DH and I are taking an "adult only" trip to DW in 3 weeks. We have a 9 year old dd and 7 year old ds. DS could care less, he's just happy to be getting a week with grandma where he'll be spoiled relentlessly. DD is a different story. She's being OK with it, but makes comments every now and then. But I'm OK with that, b/c dh and I need some time alone. But here's my next dilemna. For the last year or so, I've really been wanting for my dd and I to do a mother/daughter trip somewhere. Her 10th bday is in May and I was considering a mom/daughter trip to Disney. We have plane fare already paid for since DH and I changed our mind from flying to driving this trip, and they said we could credit it to a future flight. DH is good with the idea, although admittedly a little nervous about us being "alone" for a week 12 hours away. I guess my issue is my ds. Not sure how that would go. He's ok with the upcoming trip, but not sure how he'd feel with a mom/daughter trip. I was thinking him and his dad could do something during that time, but I'm just not decided. What do you think???

ChipnDaleGal
01-22-2008, 03:11 PM
I am sorry that I can't offer you any advice as far as your son and his feelings. I only have one child.

I just wanted to let you know that WDW is super safe for a mom/daughter trip, so your husband should not worry. My daughter and I have made many trips down together starting when she was 5. WDW is the perfect desitination to try a mother/child trip alone. If your son is okay with the whole thing then I think you are in for a real treat. It is amazing to have your child all to yourself in a fun environment like WDW. It is truly our happy place, where my daughter and I can shut out the rest of the world. She is almost 18 and I hope we continue our trips on into her adulthood.

senderella
01-22-2008, 03:51 PM
Last year I went on a Mom/son trip with my youngest who was 7 at the time. We had a great time. We went to the Pirates and Princess party. I kept the whole thing a secret ( i can't believe it). I wrote a poem and put it in a bottle. I picked him up from school and gave him the bottle to read.....you should have seen his face. I already had the car packed, all he had to do was get in. We had a great time and he loved that he was the center of attention.
My oldest son ( I hate to say it..) is tiring of WDW. Not really sure why, maybe it is because he has been about 15 times. Hopefully it is a phase that will pass with the teenage years. He did not mind at all that we left him at home.

We have also gone solo without the kids..that is great as well.

I think you would have a great time with just your daugther.

Kidsmom
01-22-2008, 03:58 PM
We have four kids.

I say start a tradition and take your DD this year.

In our house when each child reaches the age of 5 years old the get a two day/one night trip with a parent to NYC.

My girls both wanted to see Beauty and the Beast and the younger one also go the the American girl store (wasn't opened yet for the older one) along with a ton of other things we did in NYC. I took them each on their trips.

My 3rd child a son, decided he wanted to see the Yankees, so they went to 2 games and even met a famour pitcher at Carminie's restaurant. He went with Dad.

My youngest gets his trip this summer and can't wait. We will let him tailor to what he wants. The Yankees and the subway are a must for him.

They love this tradition and are talking about wanting us to pick another age for a one-on-one trip. We are thinking about 13 as it gives us a couple of years before my eldest is there and it is a nice way to start the teenage years.

Why not make Disney a special trip for the year they turn 10 or else your son can pick another location!

Just my 2 cents!

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-22-2008, 05:01 PM
:) Talk to your son and see how he feels, maybe he and your husband can do a boys only WDW trip soon.

bshaw96
01-22-2008, 05:11 PM
:) Talk to your son and see how he feels, maybe he and your husband can do a boys only WDW trip soon.

What, and go without me??? :confused: Never! Just kidding. :D That's actually a good idea :thumbsup:

poohbear8
01-24-2008, 10:06 PM
I am planning on taking my DD in Oct. She will be 11. DH and DS will be in Italy. Since we have no desire to go to Italy, Disney is the next best thing for us!

Enjoy!

TruePrincess
01-26-2008, 04:19 PM
I took a mother/daughter trip with my mom during my sophmore year of high school. It was the greatest trip ever! Now, we are taking another one (leaving in 2 days!!!!!). My older sister didn't come (and isn't coming on this one either) because it didn't fit into her schedule. Maybe your DD and DS could do something special together when you and your DD are at DS even its little. This way nobody feels left out.

Hair_Razor
01-26-2008, 06:28 PM
I love it, my mom and I are really close. We are leaving in 3 days to go to St. Augustine for 3 days. (of course she will be going with all of us to Disney 10 days later as well). We love Mother daughter time we try to do this every few years when we can. I will be 30 in April and still enjoy it. Your daughter will remember it forever! Our last M/D trip was DC Sept.11th sad, but DC will always be a special place for us.