PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Purchase Your Flights?

merlinmagic4
01-22-2008, 07:09 AM
I'm just wondering if any of the travel search engines are any better than the others and if the prices are really better than you get going right through each specific airline.

BigRedDad
01-22-2008, 07:22 AM
About 5 years ago, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline could get great deals. However, the airlines all have web specials directly and are usually cheaper than the travel search engines.

I personally travel SW. They are the least expensive airline near me. They allow cancellation for credit if you find a lower fare on their site. JetBlue has done very well also. Skybus has a few routes as well if they are in your area and they have destinations you want to travel.

pogo
01-22-2008, 07:22 AM
We look at all the air travel sites, but we've always bought directly from the airlines in the end.

We have some wonderful options here in Rochester, NY and we can also drive to Buffalo airport in an hour. :mickey:

For us, Airtran is by far the best option for WDW travel with Southwest form Buffalo as number two. We've priced Jet Blue but they would cost us about $75 to $100 more. :(

Good luck finding bargin flights. :D

Not2Loud
01-22-2008, 08:16 AM
I might get in trouble for this, but it is a great tool! [link removed per TOS]

You can register for free, and check flights from all airlines at once. Its the actual engine many of the websites use to get their info.

You cannot buy at this site (so hopefully that keeps me safe from the Intercot gods), only find information. But it gives you rate codes and all types of flight options.

You won't get Southwest flights on it, but every other airline I can think of. I have been using it for years and have found it extremely useful!

BMan62
01-22-2008, 08:51 AM
We always use Southwest and their Ding! software, so we generally find prices that none of the travel sites can beat.

We've had BWI - MCO - BWI round trips for as low as $49/person each way.

Kidsmom
01-22-2008, 08:51 AM
We have traveled on Jet Blue, AirTrans, and SW for pleasure last year which you have to buy from the airline. Our next trip is this week to Puerto Rico on USAir; this we also bought directly from the airline.

When we travel (my husband travels a ton for work) the other airlines (USAir, Contin., Delta, etc...) he just checks his favorite airline and then if it seems too high checks another fav airline. It doesn't seem like those travel search engines save much money anymore.

gauvin4
01-22-2008, 08:52 AM
This last time I used kayak to search for the best flight but purchased the flight directly from the airline.

sassafras
01-22-2008, 09:07 AM
We book SW and then watch their fares between the time of booking and our departure date. If the fare goes down, we get in touch with them and they give us credit for another trip (usually within a year!). We love SW!

sillyolbear
01-22-2008, 09:15 AM
I tend to use the search engines to get an idea of who might be least expensive, but always buy from the airline online.

disneymom15
01-22-2008, 09:23 AM
I tend to do like sillyolbear. I've found that there is no booking fee when I purchase directly from the airlines.

prprincess
01-22-2008, 09:26 AM
I use Kayak to search, but always ultimately end up purchasing straight off of AirTran's website. They always seem to have the best deals for my area.

RaRaRoundTheWorld
01-22-2008, 10:56 AM
We use airline miles to fly, so we go through the airline directly.

Tink1
01-22-2008, 11:20 AM
I research on ITA software and then go to the airline site to book.

We do not have any low cost carriers (SW, ATA, Jetblue) flying from here, so the fact that those do not show up on ITA does not matter to me. But if you do have low cost carriers, me sure to check their sites.

Nanci

J.C.&ALI'SMOM
01-22-2008, 11:36 AM
I research on ITA software and then go to the airline site to book.

We do not have any low cost carriers (SW, ATA, Jetblue) flying from here, so the fact that those do not show up on ITA does not matter to me. But if you do have low cost carriers, me sure to check their sites.

Nanci

I like ITA too. We have allegiant air flying in and out of several small airports in our area. They have some great fares to Orlando/Sanford. The closest airport to us is having $39 one way fares in Feb.

dolphinmickey9170
01-22-2008, 10:18 PM
We use SW. I use their website. I cannot find a lower fair than what I can get on SW. Even cheap tix gives us over and above what we would pay on SW. Going from BWI - MCO round trip, I like nonstop flights. This is why we like SW. Plus, I have never been delayed or late for any reason. In fact, we are almost always a little early!!!

Tigger&Stitch
01-23-2008, 02:50 AM
About 5 years ago, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline could get great deals. However, the airlines all have web specials directly and are usually cheaper than the travel search engines.

Agreed. We typically go straight to the airline websites now - most often Southwest.

I did find a website (AirfareWatchdog.com) that pulls from ALL the airlines and will send email updates on specials every day.

DonLefNY
01-23-2008, 07:20 PM
I always shop but, then buy direct from the airline.

My wife just purchased tickets to San Antonio from a site called Cheapoair and thought she got a great deal. Then I showed her it would have been $300 cheaper direct from Continental.

wdwnomad
01-23-2008, 10:58 PM
I always book directly from the airline. I use the travel sites to price some things out and to see who flies where. Once I narrow my choices down I use the airline wesbites to book. I think most of the time you can normally get the same airfare from the airline and not have to pay the booking fee that travel sites charge. Plus, if something happens like the airline moving your flight times, it is easier to deal with the airlines directly if you need make changes.

Hair_Razor
01-23-2008, 11:02 PM
Southwest or Skybus or work does it for me.:thumbsup: