PDA

View Full Version : tipping on buffets?

BouncingTigger
01-21-2008, 09:20 PM
My bf and I rarely eat at buffets, so I was wondering how much you are supposed to tip at a buffet? I mean, you get the food yourself but the wait staff clears the dishes...at regular meals we tip 15 - 20% (usually more towards the 20%). Should the tip be a certain percentage of the check or a certain amount of money per person?

Also, do you do it differently at Disney than at the "outside world?"

BouncingTigger
01-21-2008, 09:23 PM
Oh, oops, I just realized there is a similar thread a little below. Um, I still am wondering if Disney is different than what I should tip at home. Thanks!

DizneyRox
01-22-2008, 08:12 AM
Disney feels that 18% is the correct amount, regardless of the level/quality of service. Go figure...

gardenia
01-22-2008, 08:33 AM
The only buffet we eat at regularly is Boma, and we get more attentive service from the wait staff there than at ANY other restaurant at WDW. They explain the buffet setup and food selections, bring the wine, refill drinks MANY times, and clear dishes MANY times. They work harder than most servers, so why would I tip less? I have always tipped 20% there. I don't have experience with character buffets, but I suspect the same is true for them. Now, if my experience was that the server dropped us at a table with drinks and then left never to be seen again (like at Golden Corral), that would be a different story.

crazykids
01-22-2008, 09:23 AM
I do normally tip lower at a buffet mainly because I am getting my own food. However, I don't think that Disney expects you to tip lower. Not a big fan of buffetts to begin with, but my kids love the characters! I have a large family so I'm sure we'll have the 18% added on to our bill. Am I happy about it, no - but I'm not going to let it ruin my vacation.

Donald A
01-22-2008, 09:33 AM
I think it's with parties of 6 or more, they have decided on 18% and add it to your bill. We ate a few buffets a couple weeks ago and had a party of 8 so the tip was added. However, we recieved excellent service and I even tipped a little more at Hollywood and Vine to bring it up to closer to 20%

WDWCrazyKaren
01-22-2008, 11:58 AM
We just got back from using the DDP, and the buffet tips were sometimes MORE than than served meal tips. Those buffets are expensive!

Karen

DizneyRox
01-22-2008, 12:44 PM
We just got back from using the DDP, and the buffet tips were sometimes MORE than than served meal tips. Those buffets are expensive!

Karen
Correct, I can easily eat for less than many of the buffet prices, and since I'm getting the food, i don't think they warrant the same tip as a normal sit down.

Again, I'm not trying to stiff anyone, tipping IS part of eating out, but service just isn't the same at a sit down.

baby minnie's mommy
01-22-2008, 01:04 PM
Something to think about:

At a buffet the waitstaff may not be bringing you your order, but they refill drinks, attend to special requests, and clear the table as you eat. All those plates that have your half-eaten food and used napkins on them...clearing them over and over...

:D

busterthebronco
01-22-2008, 03:53 PM
i tip 10 to 15 % depending on the service.
normal restaraunts i tip 15 to 20 %

DizneyRox
01-22-2008, 07:26 PM
Something to think about:

At a buffet the waitstaff may not be bringing you your order, but they refill drinks, attend to special requests, and clear the table as you eat. All those plates that have your half-eaten food and used napkins on them...clearing them over and over...

:D
So does a normal TS place, but they take my order, deliver it to me, make sure it's correct, and get something else if it's not good.

#1donaldfan
01-22-2008, 09:36 PM
We normally tip at or above 18%, depending on how well the wait staff are. Actually, to respond to some of the above, the actual waitress seldom brings the food alone, and as at a buffet, or TS meal, the waitress takes the order, fills and refills drinks, checks on you periodically, pre-clears each table. Nothing really different than as a TS meal. Most definatley deserve our tips, it is a major part of their salary.......just my 2 pennies.....:mickey:

Jared
01-23-2008, 12:17 AM
So does a normal TS place, but they take my order, deliver it to me, make sure it's correct, and get something else if it's not good.
Agreed. I think everybody on the boards knows how I feel about Disney's new gratuity policy, so I won't start ranting in this post, but I don't think servers at buffets ever deserve an 18 percent tip.

I understand they have to clear dishes and refill drinks, and it's incredibly annoying to return from the buffet line and find dirty plates still at my seat, but they simply have an easier job than servers at traditional table service restaurants. I wouldn't tip a waiter at a buffet more than 15 percent.

:tasty:

TheRustyScupper
01-23-2008, 06:39 PM
1) Most tipping guides claim 10% for buffets.
2) For good service, this is what we tip (if in cash).

Hull-onian
01-23-2008, 07:16 PM
Thanks for all the tips on tipping. :eat::tiphat:

Nurse Kim
01-24-2008, 11:21 AM
I have been a waitress at a sit down rest. and a buffet. I never expect to receive the same amount of tip because the job is easier for a waitress/waiter at a buffet.

jszczur5
01-24-2008, 06:18 PM
Disney feels that 18% is the correct amount, regardless of the level/quality of service. Go figure...

And Disney would be wrong. Tip is based on service performance, not on what they dictate. For this reason, my family of four and my brother's family of four may be eating at the same restaurant at the same time, but we will not be on the same ADR at the same table. I will determine the tip I leave. Or more correctly, the level of service we receive will dictate the amount of the tip.

DANAM
01-24-2008, 07:07 PM
I am with you. We have been to a number of Disney buffet's in the pass and service has been excellent and the full 18-20% was deserved. There have been other times where we have received one drink and the check and never seen or heard from the wait staff again. That is when I feel $2 per person is more than enough. I am sorry I know I would get a lot of slack for this but it's just not right. I feel that the addition of the tip to the DDP really hurt the service in Disney, especially the buffets.
Before I upset anyone else. I do not agree with Disney's new dining plan, but I think they should have had a section on the bottom to rate your service and from that give waitstaff appropriate tip.
One more thing, I have had some of the best service ever at Disney. It's the one or two bad experiences that hurt all the others.

jedi jen
01-24-2008, 09:29 PM
Great service gets great tips is the general rule. I must admit, I generally tip a little less for buffets.

Seasonscraps
01-24-2008, 10:46 PM
I figure about 15% at a buffet but round down when calculating the tip. I am closer to 18-20% at regular ts and round up.

DisneyGiant
01-25-2008, 12:51 AM
We normally tip at or above 18%, depending on how well the wait staff are. Actually, to respond to some of the above, the actual waitress seldom brings the food alone, and as at a buffet, or TS meal, the waitress takes the order, fills and refills drinks, checks on you periodically, pre-clears each table. Nothing really different than as a TS meal. Most definatley deserve our tips, it is a major part of their salary.......just my 2 pennies.....:mickey:

We do this too. And since we're usually a party of 8, they add it on automatically - which is fine by us - saves us doing the calcs.

We must be very lucky - we're never had horrible service at WDW...... maybe they're more attentive to larger parties? :shrug: