PDA

View Full Version : The chef's table at V&A?

RocknBev
01-21-2008, 08:25 AM
Has anyone ever eaten at the chef's table at Victoria and Albert's? It was featured on the one the WDW travel shows yesterday on the travel channel. I would LOVE to try it but DH says it would cost too much! I know V&A is expensive but can some one give me an idea on this special dining experience and is it worth it?

pox24
01-21-2008, 08:33 AM
When we went it was $ 150 each without the wine pairing. The meal was about 3 hours and there was I believe 8 courses. It was delicious and a truly different dining experience. However, would I do it again? No. I would rather enjoy a juicy steak at the Yachtsman for an hour and go back to a park.

fielin
01-21-2008, 09:09 AM
I am in the minority on Intercot and have already been flamed for this specific opinion, but V&A was disappointing to me.

The food is excellent and elaborate, but not exceptionnal. You will not get younger or smarter by eating it, and this might even not be the best meal you have eaten. It was not, for me.

I thought the atmosphere was too posh to be enjoyable. Being French, I have been to a lot of posh restaurants - some more expensive than V&A, and the servers were elegant without being arrogant, respectful wtihout forgetting to give you the impression that you could relax.

In V&A I felt that I had to watch myself, and remember all my good manners. I felt judged, as if I had to be up to their standards.

Even the queen of england will tell you that the real elegance is to make people feel adequate and welcome, not to make sure they are worthy of the experience.

Let's clarify : I had absolutely no problem with the staff, they were perfectly adequate (if a bit cold), and they told me nothing to make me feel ill at ease. It's just the general feeling that I had in the restaurant.

Last but not least, there are no windows in the restaurant. This might be a detail for some, but I thought it was a pity, as the GF is so beautiful, and deserved to be seen from the restaurant... Moreover, it would have been a much more romantic dinner with the stars, and the moon.

So, in conclusion : V&A is an experience that is not for everyone. I really expected more than this by reading all the reviews. But I am happy I was able to try it, although I will not do it again.

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-22-2008, 10:59 AM
:mickey: I've never eaten there but I saw a special on the Travel Channel about the Chef's Table....it is unique in that you do not order off a menu, your meal is special and unique to your table and each person's is different. The chef comes out and asks about likes/dislikes, food allergies etc....and each person gets their own tailor made meal, down to dessert....and at the end of the meal they make a souvenier menu for you to take with you, listing your meal and the others at the table....if I could afford it, I would love to do it once.