PDA

View Full Version : questions about living in florida

wdwfan#1
01-21-2008, 07:08 AM
okay, we are thinking about moving to florida. i have looked at other forums/message boards and the negativity is unreal!! however, it seems to be for every city. i thought that those who love disney might see things in a more positive or realistic light. so , those of you that live in florida, do you like it ? we are looking at the tampa area, possibly orlando or sarasota. my main concern is the school system, as i have 3 kids. any input would be appreciated. thanks, rachel

TysMomTink
01-21-2008, 08:12 AM
I moved from New Jersey to Florida three years ago and never looked back. I love it. I have to say that I think some people move down here because they love visiting Florida for vacation without truly realizing that living down here isn't being on vacation 365 days a year. I live about four hours from WDW. Close enough for me. My sister and her family live closer to the Tampa area and love it. She has a 19 year old, 15 year old, and a 7 year old -- loves the school and lots of activities. So many people I meet down here are transplants and they also love it. Sure there are some who hate living here and want to move back...but I think going down with realistic expectations will ease the transition.

DizneyRox
01-21-2008, 08:33 AM
For the most part, the school systems in Florida don't compare, at least for us. I would really, really look into the schools if you are at all concerned.

For us, Florida is a great place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there, but someday it might happen.

murphy1
01-21-2008, 08:47 AM
I grew up in Tampa area (St. Pete) The #1 area I would look if I were you is in New Tampa, that would be North Tampa, Wesley Chapel area. My friends just moved a couple years ago from St. Pete to WestChase. All my friends that have stayed after UF and USF live in this area (33625 zip if you want to see what's there on the RE sites) and if I go back, we're looking there. Also Citrus Park is a nice area. I like Polk County, too, but there is more to do in Tampa area and you are pretty close to the beaches, aquarium, great restaurants. I live in GA right now, but go back all the time to see my parents. You don't have basements but can get a five BR home from under 300K still. Sarasota always seemed to have a lot of money crowd and retirees, but I know people there that like it. I just like Tampa area myself. About the schools, I am a product of the Fl school system and I have nothing but great things to say. I think we have top universities and I want all my kids to consider FL universities (maybe my USF).

Shari

Ed
01-21-2008, 09:04 AM
I've lived down here for about 6 years now, and I'll never move back north. Personally, I love it.

But there definitely are some negatives, including outrageous insurance rates even on inland homes, unrealistic property taxes, seemingly uncontrolled growth (although that has leveled off somewhat since the real estate market bottomed out), and in a lot of areas not much of a job market beyond tourism. Traffic can be a nightmare in the urban areas such as Orlando, Tampa, Jacksonville, Miami, etc.

Our kids are all adults now and got their schooling up north, so we haven't had any first-hand experience with the school systems, but they do get a lot of bad press and graduation rates are pretty bad.

On the positive side, of course, there's the weather. Yes, it gets hot in the summer, but most folks adapt to that pretty quickly. And it's not unusual for me to be working outside in shorts and a t-shirt while my kids in Maryland are shoveling many inches of snow off their driveways.

We're only about 20 miles from WDW - far enough away from the crowds and traffic, but close enough to visit frequently. Especially my DW. She visits five or six days a week, and they even give her a paycheck. :mickey:

And lastly, one of the state's big drawing cards - - no state income tax! :thumbsup:

:cool:

tinklover
01-21-2008, 09:45 AM
I split my time between Salisbury ,Md and Port ST Lucie, Fl. Even though I know I am coming up here to be with my DBF I dread coming north. My DBF is looking into a transfer down to Fl. We both love it down there. The weather, the atmosphere the people. We love it hands down.

Not2Loud
01-21-2008, 11:08 AM
I was a product of Florida schools (Titusville High School '93), and am doing fine. I moved out of FL to go to Univ of Tennessee. In all fairness, I should have stayed in FL as I had some great scholarships for the universities of there. Long story, but the short is my dad wanted to move to TN and I was his escape route.

Anyways, I miss FL, but have made a home here in Atlanta. I think I could move back to FL, but don't know about my wife.

It does get hot there, but thats life. You have 3 true International Airports, great tourist and entertainment options throughout the state, good beaches, great parks, etc.

The thing I don't know about is the job market. I could work there, as it really doesn't matter where I live with what I do.

All that said, do homework on the things that are important to you!

TheMartellFamily
01-21-2008, 12:40 PM
We too in the next 2 to 3 years will be moving to Florida for husbands job. As of right now it is looking like we will be in Tampa area. The one thing we do worry about is the education. This is one thing that everyone comments about when they find out that we are going. "I hope you find a good school since the education system is the worst in the country." I tell them that our boys will do just fine. I am not worried. From someone who is from the upper midwest who does not like winters I am so excited about warmer winters.

DisFan01
01-21-2008, 12:46 PM
I live in Florida, and love it. I love the nice warm sunshine, plus, I am about 3 hours from Disney. :cloud9:

MNNHFLTX
01-21-2008, 01:49 PM
Have you seen this recent thread yet?

Thinking About Moving to Florida (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=123197)

As you can see by my post in that thread, that my family and I lived in Florida for many years before moving because of a job promotion. Just like any other place there is good and bad, but I have to agree with TysMomTink that I think the people who move down to Florida with realistic expectations will find much to love. As far as schools, I have to admit that one of my pet peeves is when people make broad generalizations about the quality of education down there. Yes, there are some school districts that are not so great (which would be true of any area of the country). But there many very good school districts whose success is reflected in test scores, graduation rates and college attendance rates. On a personal note, I am one of those people who received a very good education up north and I know that my son received just as good an education during the 7 years he attended school in Florida (Brevard County). Just do your research and look around and then make a decision. :)

browneyedgirl12
01-21-2008, 02:29 PM
Hello,
I live in Fl and i am currently in the ninth grade. I live in a rural part of Fl, Lehigh Acres. I love it personally because you look out your back windows and there is nothing but pine trees but, I only live about three hours away from Disney. The high school I am enrolled in has the IB program (International Baccalaureate) which is a great program to be in if you are determined to get to college. So the schooling here is just as good and can be just as bad as other places through out the country. It really depends on what school you go to. I also love the warm weather I just don't know how people from the north can stand freezing temperatures. The beaches are great and personally I perfer the Atlantic ocean but the Gulf is great too. I hope this helps you make your decision. Good Luck

DisneyDog
01-21-2008, 02:41 PM
We used to live in Collier County. That is a very wealthy, fast growing area with many new schools. I worked in the public library there, at the reference desk, so I saw the kids that went to school there. Having been educated in the North East, I was quite shocked by the kind of assistance these children required (how to spell very simple words, for example -- and these were high school students). I found that a lot of the teachers were retired from other parts of the country and came down there to retire, and found that they couldn't afford to support themselves, so they went back to work but didn't really care about their careers anymore. It was just a paycheck for them (my step-father tried that one. He's a retired teacher from Philadelphia. He quit his Florida teaching job after only a few weeks because it was so awful. And that was in Palm Beach County). Also, with so many seniors as residents in Florida, the schools are not their priority because they don't have school-age children, and they are the majority of tax payers down there. In addition, a large percentage of the kids did not speak English, which of course slows things down for the English speaking kids. Not a good situation all the way around. There was no way I was going to let my little boy grow up down there. We moved back up to PA so that he could go to a good school. I miss living near WDW, but his education was more important.

#1donaldfan
01-21-2008, 02:55 PM
We've got about 10 years to move down. We plan on moving to FL, for our retirement years. We, DW and I will be 50 upon arrival, that's not too old to put on a goofy suit and work is it????:mickey:

Hair_Razor
01-21-2008, 03:58 PM
You guys are killing me now I want to move!! I am just going to have to wait till my kids are older. It is the one nice thing about having children early is the sooner to move! Good luck on your decision making process!:thumbsup:

murphy1
01-21-2008, 05:20 PM
We've got about 10 years to move down. We plan on moving to FL, for our retirement years. We, DW and I will be 50 upon arrival, that's not too old to put on a goofy suit and work is it????:mickey:

That's wonderful that you can retire that early!! 50 is perfect for the Goofy suit, you'll get a job the same day you go to Casting!

One thing, if y'all move to Florida or the South, quit saying you wish this or that was different! We get so many people down here that want to change a lot of our culture or hate our food, or whatever, it is what it is and I hope it stays the same. I guess it would be like if they moved the Steelers or Pats to California, you wouldn't like that :D

wdwfan#1
01-22-2008, 08:39 AM
thank you all so much for the information. i definately know that it would not be vacation all year. i mean we still have to work!!! i'm an er nurse, so i don't think i would have a problem finding a job. my husband is a new attorney, but doesnt really want to practice general law. he likes real estate/title area. he is working in that field now, trying to get experience so we can move. we are far from rich (lawyers don't always make great money). and dh wants to work in a field he likes rather than make lots of money. our belief is that it;s better to enjoy what you do for a living than make lots of money and be miserable . just our opinion. so anyway thanks so much!!

DisneyDog
01-22-2008, 11:31 AM
My guess is that with both of your careers, you should have no trouble finding work down there.

bleukarma
01-22-2008, 01:24 PM
Have you seen this recent thread yet?

Thinking About Moving to Florida (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=123197)

My response is also in this thread. I hit on the high real estate taxes and insurance. Hopefully this next voting session will help out with that, though!

As far as schools go, I am a product of the Florida education system and I'm doing just fine. However I do agree that it all depends on where you go. I went to one of the best public schools in the state (H.B. Plant High in south Tampa) and my graduating class had a lot of sons/daughters of high profile people. But right down the street is a school that has a lot of violence and drug problems. So before you settle on an area, I would do your homework. I happened to live on the right side of the street, as the street I grew up on was the dividing line of the two schools.

I also agree that if you come here with an expectation that it's not a 24/7 vacation (I rarely find time to make it to the beach!) then you'll be fine. Nurses tend to make very decent money here (at least in the Tampa area) so you should be fine job-wise.

I also work in the real estate market (title insurance) so I know how bad it is right now however this slump is not going to last forever. We have some very good lawyers in the area (I've worked for a few good ones) so your husband should be fine and happy.

If you have any questions let me know. Feel free to PM me anytime! :thumbsup:

MamaStyles
01-23-2008, 09:49 AM
I don't regret my decision to move to Florida for a moment! When I watch the Boston weather reports I smile that I don't have to scrape the ice and snow off my car!

As a retired teacher, I've been working as a substitute teacher in the Manatee County Schools. I would suggest checking out the local school district's website. There is a wealth of information, including test scores, individual school websites, info. Do your research before you begin looking for a home. Also, if you have a knowledgeable, well informed real estate agent that is a plus. I still call mine for recommendations for dentists, hair dressers, etc.

The PLUS of living in Florida is weather and the opportunity for outdoor activity year round. I hope you consider moving here...PLUS you're going to be closer to WDW!! I bought a Florida resident season pass and make good use of it!:minnie:

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Shining at the end of ev'ryday

murphy1
01-23-2008, 11:32 AM
Amber, I have been hearing a lot about Dungy's son going to Plant, it's hard to get into!

Rachel, you won't have any trouble finding a job as a nurse whatsoever. Morton Plant and Bayfront are the big HC facilities in Pinellas County. I used to work in Occupational Medicine (marketing work) at Mease/Morton Plant, it's a very nice facility and had great benefits when I was there. They always need ER nurses. I heard one of the facilities in Central FL has the top cardiac center in the country. I loved everyone I met from Ohio who moved down, very nice, salt of the earth people.

ayeckley
01-23-2008, 01:08 PM
I grew up in Ohio, and went to college for a couple of years in Daytona. My experience was not good. Daytona is -- well, Daytona. There are huge tensions between many (not all, of course) locals and anyone from above the Mason-Dixon line. Seriously: I've never heard "Yankee" used as a derogatory word until I moved there. It's not such a problem in the more affluent areas towards the western side of the state. It seems like more of the retirees settle towards the Gulf side, and I think that might have something to do with toned-down attitude there.

Something to be aware of if you've only ever visited the tourist areas. Take a drive south of Orlando sometime into the rural areas and see if you feel comfortable. If you do, then you'll probably have no problems. There was a great scene in an eposide of "Top Gear" on BBC America in which the hosts drove across Florida. You might want to watch that and see what it was like for them. There's "redneck" in the passive sense (which I have no problems with) and then there's "redneck" in the agressive/mean sense.

Like others have said: it's a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there [again].

murphy1
01-24-2008, 05:22 PM
Yes, there are a lot of rednecks in Florida, but there are also a lot of people like me, classy, educated and friendly (there are many on here who will agree with me:D). I have been to Miami one time and have no idea what that whole scene is about. There are three parts to Florida, the middle, the Southern part where you have to speak Spanish in a few of the areas and the North. My worst problem down there was dating, it was very, very hard to find guys who wanted to commit or not hang out all the time, but that's anywhere I guess. When you mention Daytona, I remember seeing girls on there who I swear are on the Rock of Love show with Bret Michaels LOL

Hull-onian
01-26-2008, 08:24 PM
We have been to Florida many times over the years and love it. I really like Stuart or WPB area. Yeah, we could move there.:sun:

GrandFlo
01-27-2008, 08:40 AM
DH retires in two years and we are torn between NC and FL. Either would be fine with me, but I am really leaning towards FL. We were thinking Naples. Anyone have pros and cons for this area? Thanks. :mickey: