PDA

View Full Version : Traffic through Daytona President's weekend

mousaholic
01-20-2008, 09:24 PM
I am heading to WDW for President's Week...I am leaving NY on 2/15, spending the night in southern Georgia. We hope to leave our hotel by about 7am on 2/16. I would normally drive down I-95 through Daytona and head over to Orlando. I am wondering if there is a better way to get there - will traffic be a nightmare around I-95 and I-4 ? Thanks for any help!!!

NJ Camper
01-20-2008, 09:37 PM
Traffic in daytona shouldn't be a problem unless there is a race,spring break or bike week anyone know of races or when bike week is???? i drive thru daytona each time i go i go 95to i-4 never had a problem nov.-feb the last few years

mousaholic
01-20-2008, 09:40 PM
The Daytona 500 is that weekend! :( I thought a detour might be necessary!

NJ Camper
01-20-2008, 09:45 PM
oh yeah speaking of races you are traveling from NY you need to watch delaware during races also but don't think feb. will be a problem for that have a magical time wish i could go :mickey:

mousaholic
01-20-2008, 09:48 PM
Thanks!:cloud9:

NJ Camper
01-20-2008, 10:05 PM
our last trip we took 95 all the way from NJ to Fort Lauderdale yeah i know it not 95 in NJ but you know what i mean we left central NJ at around 4:00 am and went to savanah Ga (truck pulling a 32 ' camper ) ( wife and 2 dogs) we arrived around 8:00 pm then from there disney isn't to far probably 5 hours depending on fuel stops and arv's if you are traveling on weekend you lose work traffic and its better for getting past washinton and baltimore then its smooth sailing if you go during the week just try to time it so you miss rush hour and you should be fine have a good trip and enjoy the magic :mickey:

NJRRK
01-23-2008, 04:29 PM
I would try to avoid Daytona that weekend too, however I'm not sure of the best route around.

Looking at the map any alternates are probably going to take a while, maybe Daytona wouldn't be any worse.

faline
01-24-2008, 08:57 AM
The Camping World 300 race is being held at Daytona Speedway on the 16th. I would avoid the area if at all possible. The traffic around Daytona can be a logjam during race events!

tinklover
01-24-2008, 09:18 AM
oh yeah speaking of races you are traveling from NY you need to watch delaware during races also but don't think feb. will be a problem for that have a magical time wish i could go :mickey:

DOver Downs ( Delaware) has 2 races. first is usually in June and the 2nd is usually in Sept.

GoofysGirl
01-25-2008, 02:21 PM
We left WDW on the Sunday of the Daytona 500 our last visit, which was in 2005. TRAFFIC WAS A NIGHTMARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If we would have thought/known about an alternate route, we definitely would have taken it. I would avoid the area if at all possible. I-95 was either stand still or a snails pace for what seemed like forever. It also didn't help that we were driving a rental van that had to be returned that night!!!!!!! Good luck - the weather was great & we had a great time!!!:mickey:

mousaholic
01-25-2008, 04:40 PM
Thanks Goofysgirl...I wanted somebody to confirm my suspicions about traffic...I will start looking for an alternate route.

MNNHFLTX
01-25-2008, 05:31 PM
You can take SR-40 west off of I-95 (Ormond Beach exit) and then SR-17 south, which will take you down to I-4 just north of the Orlando area. It will add extra miles and time to your trip, but you would avoid the worst of the race traffic, I think.