PDA

View Full Version : Utitlidors...are they intriguing or disillusioning?

cruellalvr
01-19-2008, 04:26 PM
Anybody have any thoughts on the utilidors? I am thinking about my trip in June touring the utilidors. I have always really wanted a chance to, but I am also fearful that it will destroy some of the magic for me. Give me some of your advice guys. I need it!! What were your thoughts while touring them?

Pookie
01-19-2008, 04:36 PM
My DH and I went on the Keys to the Kingdom tour. It was great! I thought it would ruin some of the magic as well, but it just made me more interested. We weren't down there a long time (approximately 45 minutes), so it wasn't like we saw a ton. I really liked the whole tour and would suggest going on it!

irish1967
01-19-2008, 06:19 PM
I think if you go in with the right point of view it'll be fine. You'll be seeing what supports the magic!

I was "backstage" of both EPCOT and MK for the 1/2 Marathon and still felt the magic when we went back to the parks later on during the trip.

Bri
01-19-2008, 10:21 PM
I also did the Keys to the Kingdom tour and it was great. When you get down there, it's not like "here's the utilidor". There are pictures that the tour guide explains to you and our tour guide (Matt) made it seem very Willy Wonka like, like "not everyone sees this, you get to see how MK runs everyday". It is very interesting and I don't think it will ruin your image if MK.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
01-20-2008, 02:38 AM
Also, you'll only see a very small portion of the utilidor. You really only see Main Street between Center Street and the Train Station, the backside by Tomorrowland, and....that's about it. You're missing abour 85-90% of the rest of the utilidor.

But really, it's pretty messy, pretty smelly, and pretty boring.

BouncingTigger
01-20-2008, 01:44 PM
This is probably a dumb question, but what is a utilidor? :confused:

DisFan01
01-20-2008, 01:49 PM
I would love to do one of these tours! :cloud9:

PetefromRI
01-20-2008, 01:51 PM
My kids were down there when they were in High School.They were involved in the band at school and were invited to march in the parade.My son said that it kind of blew it for him when he saw the "real" Disney but he still can't wait to go back with us in May so it couldn't have been that disillusioning.;)

faline
01-20-2008, 02:10 PM
This is probably a dumb question, but what is a utilidor? :confused:

When the Magic Kingdom as built, it was built above a system of corriders that facilitated the movement of staff, supplies, etc. from one section of the park to the other without being seen by guests. What you see of the Magic Kingdom is, in essence, the "second floor" of the construction. The corriders that make up the first floor are underneath and are called utilidors. Some tours take guests on a tour of a portion of these hallways. Overall,the space is not very exciting - think concrete walls, no windows - though you do get some interesting information on how Disney does business.

joanna71985
01-20-2008, 03:23 PM
But really, it's pretty messy, pretty smelly, and pretty boring.

Amen to that! Especially the smelly part. Some areas flat out stink!

Although, walking the utilidor is good for getting a good workout.

Ian
01-20-2008, 04:18 PM
I'd give it mixed reviews. For us, it was sort of a letdown, actually. I mean you hype it up in your mind, but then when you get down there it's pretty much like every other industrial useage area you've ever been in before.

I'd have to agree that it was kinda boring. But I think everyone should probably do it once just to say you've done it.

cruellalvr
01-23-2008, 08:08 PM
So did anyone get to do something like the dressing rooms, break rooms, etc. or was it pretty much a few hallways? Are there dressing rooms and break rooms down there? Does anyone know?

My best friend from college JUST started working there and I can't get him to contact me yet. He just moved there and doesnt have internet yet...grrrr. I WANT TO KNOW THESE THINGS!!!!

MauiMouse
01-23-2008, 08:18 PM
More or less you just see the corridors, but I do remember seeing a break room of some sorts from a far.

Like Ian said it's sometime to see once and say that you've been down there.

2Epcot
01-23-2008, 11:47 PM
We did the Backstage Magic tour and went through the utilidors. I actually enjoyed it quite a bit, and it didn't deestroy the magic for me at all. Of course I get into the "behind-the-scenes" aspect of almost anything. I love to see how things work ... especially creative stuff. Just seeing room that controlled all the attractions was exciting for me.

My two favorite memories were how when we were in the CM makeup area the Cruella De Vil CM seemed to be in a hurry to get on stage and didn't seem to happy we were in her way as she did her final touch up (of course she could have just been being Cruella). I also remember how excited our group was when we saw Mickey in the utilidors. Just as on stage, the backstage Mickey gave us a friendly wave. :mickey2:

joanna71985
01-23-2008, 11:59 PM
So did anyone get to do something like the dressing rooms, break rooms, etc. or was it pretty much a few hallways? Are there dressing rooms and break rooms down there? Does anyone know?

Yes there are.

DisneyGiant
01-24-2008, 12:29 AM
We saw a break room, an HR area with time cards, and the utilidor where a rescue (ambulance) corridor was.

I found it very interesting - didn't ruin the magic for me at all. It made it that much more amazing to see a little part of how it works.....

MauiMouse
01-26-2008, 09:49 AM
Check out the DisneyLink as they have a short video about the Utilidors at Magic Kingdom. :thumbsup: