PDA

View Full Version : Kennedy Space Center/Cape Canaveral

thejens
01-17-2008, 08:19 PM
Have any of you been to the Kennedy Space Center? We are considering doing this with our DS4 and DS9 prior or after a Disney Cruise this April, but not sure how much time we will need. Is it doable in one afternoon or will it take the whole day? Will a 4 year old be able to handle it? Is the launch simulation scary? Are there certain parts we should do and others to skip (since we have the kids and somewhat limited time.) I'm a little confused about all the tour options and would like to do the "basic" tour. Thanks for any insight!

indytraveler
01-18-2008, 05:30 PM
Its been several years since I have been. The last time I was there my kids were about the ages of yours. We did the "whole" tour. The bus tour and watch a couple of movies. A little too much in one day. I would recommend doing the bus tour. You stop by three different places. (set me straight if this isn't right anymore) The stop where you see the rocket booster is pretty impressive. If this isn't for you then they do have the "rocket graveyard" out by the main visitors center. IMAX movie was pretty neat too. I don't know about the new attraction, Launch??, but it sounds cool. Not sure how much I helped? Hope you have fun.

MauiMouse
01-18-2008, 06:47 PM
I went last year and we spent the day at the Cape. We did the bus tour and you do stop at 3 different areas 1- LC-39 Observation Gantry- where you can see the Space Shuttle off in the distance (of course if it is there) 2 - Apollo/Saturn V Center (here we spent probably most of the time, various rockets suspended in the air) 3 - International Space Station Center (just a glimpse of what they are building for the space station). You can stay at those areas as little or as long as you want. It's more of a hop on hop off sort of thing.

We didn't spend too much time at the Visitor Complex. You could spend a good half day here alone. They have 2 IMAX Theatres, various exhibits like the Rocket Garden (very cool) and Astronaut Memorial (very moving).

The "new" launch ride wasn't ready yet, and I don't know if I would have ridden anyways.

NJGIRL
01-21-2008, 10:34 AM
You can probably spend two days there if you did everything. We spent a whole day but didn't do any of the tours. We did Kennedy coming off of the cruise and got there when they opened and left around 4:30. If you only have 1/2 a day you can still do alot and I found my son who was 6 at the time loved it.

RAIDER
01-22-2008, 08:44 AM
I went to the space centre last year and its defiantly a full day .... The imax 3d shows are a must ... Its a good day out and well worth the visit :thumbsup:

mouseaddict
01-23-2008, 11:57 PM
Definately a full day at the least. DS was 5 and he was ok..we did not see alot of stuff because we ran out of time. The 4 y/o probably won't be tall enough for the simulator. DS was not tall enough, but he got to go to the special "launch observation" area. He got to watch his sisters on a tv. I absolutely loved it, and am ready to go back!

2Epcot
01-24-2008, 12:15 AM
I would agree on it being a full day. We've done the Space Center on two different trips to Orlando and enjoyed it each time. Though I always wanted to be there during a shuttle launch.