PDA

View Full Version : I'm Headed Back to School

Cinderelley
01-17-2008, 06:32 PM
Well, after several, several months of soul-searching, I've decided to head back to school to become a nursing instructor. Going through nursing school was a horrible experience for me, and it seems to be that way all across the country from what I've learned by talking to several nurses. It shouldn't be like that.

I was an EMT first and that type of education was phenomenal. So, I decided that I would become a nursing instructor to introduce that type of environment. I know I can't make a difference in all the nursing schools, but I can make a difference for a few students.

The problem is - I have to get my master's degree. That means subjecting myself to the same horrible things that I'll be trying to change. Wish me luck and send lots of pixie dust :D .

ElenitaB
01-17-2008, 07:52 PM
:pixie: for your endeavor! With the goal you have in mind, I hope that your experience is better in grad school than it was as an undergrad.

pink
01-17-2008, 08:15 PM
I'm glad you're giving it a second chance and I wish you the best of luck this time around! :mickey:

PirateLover
01-17-2008, 08:17 PM
Congratulations and good luck! What a great goal to have.

Jeff
01-18-2008, 09:02 AM
Good luck!:thumbsup:

ncscgirl2005
01-18-2008, 10:41 AM
Good Luck Cindy! I can tell you that nursing school is hard here too!

MsMin
01-18-2008, 11:48 AM
:pixie: Sounds exciting. I made friends w/ a woman who was working on her PhD and was a nursing instructor @ one of the schools here. We were taking stats together. I'm kinda weird b/c I love stats :blush: Psychology is similar in regards to the types of research you will be looking at and conducting. In fact, in my Thesis, I used a health model and applied it to eating disorders. I worked for a Clinical Psychologist in N.O. when I was an U/G who was @ LSUMC and we did research at the Stanley S. Scott cancer center.
I know there are a lot of nurses out there but if you want a Psych/health/behavior buddy
HERE I AM :D :cheer: :pixie:
I'm excited about it what interests you? do you know who is studying what yet at the area school? Tell me more...

Cinderelley
01-18-2008, 01:08 PM
Tell me more...

Honestly, I don't know too much more yet. Grand Canyon University does a program at the hospital I work at. I'll first be doing the RN to BSN program. Then I'll do the BSN to MSN program. I'm supposed to meet with the Grand Canyon University Counselor on 2/6. The classes start in March - the 10th I think she said.

I'm really hoping that it's not like nursing school - more like regular college courses. Nursing's bad. The saying is that "nurses eat their young." They do, and it starts in school. I really miss the atmosphere from my EMT days -everyone was there to help everyone. In fact, when I was testing for the fire department, there were guys out there cheering me on that I had never even met. They were doing it for everyone. When you start out as a nurse, you can only hope that you'll get paired up with someone who will help you. It's just not right.

I'm sure I'll be needing a psych/health/behavior buddy - esp. for my psych/health/behavior :laughing:

Cinderelley
01-18-2008, 01:14 PM
Good Luck Cindy! I can tell you that nursing school is hard here too!

I don't mind it being hard. It's the whole "out to get you" mentality that I don't like. For example, when I was in my last semester of nursing school, the "higher-ups" came into our class and told us that over half of the class that graduated before us failed the boards. They stated that it was those students' fault. How can it be their fault when it was over half the class? When will the teachers stand up and be responsible for what/how they're teaching the students? That was 5 years ago, and the state has since gone into that program and forced some changes, but it can be so much better than it is.

ncscgirl2005
01-19-2008, 07:59 AM
I don't mind it being hard. It's the whole "out to get you" mentality that I don't like. For example, when I was in my last semester of nursing school, the "higher-ups" came into our class and told us that over half of the class that graduated before us failed the boards. They stated that it was those students' fault. How can it be their fault when it was over half the class? When will the teachers stand up and be responsible for what/how they're teaching the students? That was 5 years ago, and the state has since gone into that program and forced some changes, but it can be so much better than it is.

Oh I know you didn't mean hard. It has to be challanging because of the field of study. I can completely understand what you mean though. That "out to get you" applied to the program at the community college I worked at too. They started out with 50 students during the fall semester of Nursing I and usually ended up with 15 by midterm and maybe 8-10 by the end of the first semester. There was one instructor there that didn't operate like that. She rallied behind the students and was always there to listen to them. Needless to say, anytime any one of them had an issue she was the first person they went to. It was comforting for them to know that they could at least turn to one (out of 5!) instructor.

princessjojo
01-19-2008, 12:13 PM
At 30-something, after leaving the corporate world, I've gone back to nursing school and should graduate this coming May!!! I can say honestly and completely that it has been an miserable experinece for me. I have learned more during my preceptor experience than I did during my classroom experiece. We actually lost nearly 1/3 of our class after this past fall semester. It's a tough program. Next big obstacle is boards... UGH!!!

We've also had BON come in to make some drastic changes in our program. And our program director assumes that we are all ignorant and think she made any grading scale changes for our benefit, WRONG!!!

Anyways, good luck to you. I'm sure that when theopportunity arrises for you, you will be a wonderful instructor for the newer students. I found that the instructors that seem most interested in our success, were the most effective instructors. They saw to it that we were successful and enjoyed the experience more.

Again, good luck to you! I'm sure you can do it, and do it well!!!! And you will make a wonderful instructor, too!!!

Cinderelley
01-19-2008, 05:30 PM
Thanks for all the well wishes & "go get 'ems" from everyone!

princessjojo & ncscgirl2005 - I'll try to remember your stories when the going gets tough, so that I'll remember what I'm doing it for. :)

ncscgirl2005
01-19-2008, 08:22 PM
Thanks for all the well wishes & "go get 'ems" from everyone!

princessjojo & ncscgirl2005 - I'll try to remember your stories when the going gets tough, so that I'll remember what I'm doing it for. :)

Good Luck and give us some updates on your progress. We are rooting for you. :thumbsup:

merlinmagic4
01-19-2008, 08:58 PM
Good luck! I think that's a great goal!

I believe you can have an impact on the profession one student at at time :thumbsup:

TheMartellFamily
01-19-2008, 08:59 PM
I just finished returning to school after an absence of 14 years being out. I got a degree that I love my career choice. Yes I have to admit that at sometimes it was quite tough, but you know what, it was so empowering that I can not wait to return in a couple of years to contune furthering my education. Good luck.

GrandFlo
01-20-2008, 11:29 PM
Your post comes just as I was telling DH that I want to teach. Everyone thinks I'm crazy for not going for my NP, but rather the education track. A good teacher can make all the difference in the world.

As far a "eating their young"....as a new grad I was chewed up and spit out many many times. I do not know why nurses do this to each other. It is so :thedolls:. I've seen some really good RNs leave the profession all together.

I know school will be hard, but we really need some quality instructors. Maybe we should start our own RN program :D.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Miss Mouse
01-21-2008, 12:15 AM
Congrats on making your big decision, Cinderelley, and best of luck as you work your way through it.

I'm considering going for an after-degree in nursing, and it sure sounds like I would love to have a nursing instructor like you! :)

Cinderelley
01-21-2008, 12:44 AM
Maybe we should start our own RN program :D.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Sounds good, but you'll have to move out here to Arizona. I couldn't handle the cold in New York. :D

Cinderelley
01-21-2008, 12:46 AM
Congrats on making your big decision, Cinderelley, and best of luck as you work your way through it.

I'm considering going for an after-degree in nursing, and it sure sounds like I would love to have a nursing instructor like you! :)

Well, if you head to school again, we can go through the grind together. I hope you find a good program to go through.