PDA

View Full Version : The "Why Can't I Get a Good Beer" trip report-Day 4-Regular Evening

WDWCrazyKaren
01-16-2008, 03:37 PM
Cast:

Me-43, Event planner by day, Disney planner by night
DH-40, Cranky Disney Nay-sayer

After a few moments of R & R and a shower for us both (hey, you'd have showered too if you'd spent 3 hours in the sauna that is Yawnimal Kingdom!), we hopped a bus to Epcot.

We had yet to do Illuminations, and I knew after the good response from Surly McCP, Illuminations would be good too.

Besides, we hadn't done Soarin' yet! I was ever so excited for it. I wasn't certain what DH would think, as I'm well aware of the fact that he's not big on the whole "flying" thing, but we were going anyway. DH and his phobias? Bah!

Arriving at Epcot around 5:00PM, we saw the line for SE was a little daunting, so we passed it by. Hopped over to the Land to pick up Fast Passes for Soarin'. Return time was 7:00, so we headed to Nemo. Laughed hysterically at the seagulls outsite with their "Mine, Mine" routine. Nemo was cute, but I certainly wouldn't wait in a line for it. Maybe if I had small kids, but no other reason. DH indulged me whilst I stared in awe at the Manatees for about 20 minutes. Even Surly McCrankyPants called them "cute".

You know, I may have to come up with a new name for DH. His Disney hating self was no longer in evidence. The kids knew by now that if Dad hated it here, we weren't coming back. I was beginning to see a few chinks in his armor. He smiled and laughed during rides and shows. He called characters by name and interacted with them. He will never do crowds, yet I saw him wait patiently in lines. He's done his time with little kids, yet he was talking to them all on his own. As a matter of fact, with very few exceptions, he wasn't cranky. At all. Hmmm, I'm sensing something wrong here. Or maybe, I'm sensing something RIGHT. He hasn't even SWORN once on this trip. I need to do some serious thinking here. I'm going out on a limb here, but he's having FUN!

This dawns on me as we are sitting outside the Land, on a beautiful evening, stars twinkling from above, children running by, laughing with their blinking toys buzzing around. There IS magic here. There truly is. Not only was it the only place in the world that I wanted to be, HE was in the place that HE wanted to be. I was more content in those few moments on that bench than I had been in years.

We took these few moments of silence and down time to call the kids again. Now, we had been calling them frequently thoughout the week, but I listened in to my DH calling his son. I heard only the one-sided conversation, but here's what I heard.

DH-"Hey, what's up?"

DH-"Good! You made the team? Way to go! Which squad?"

DH-"Well, of course they have to put last years MVP on the A squad!"

DH-"Yeah, we're having a great time"

DH-"Oh man, you will LOVE it here"

DH"Yeah, you NEED to go to Disney Quest. It is the coolest place"

DH-"No, there haven't been any rides you won't like. You'll love it all"

DH-"No, we'll stay somewhere different next time. Probably one of the bigger resorts"

DH-"Yeah, we went by Port Orleans and it was cool, either that or maybe this place called the Polynesian. That was great"

Can you guess what I'm thinking at this point?

Can you?

Yup, I was wondering who was going to take next years America's Cup. Wow, you're good!

Ummmm. I lied. I really wasn't thinking about that. I don't even know what America's Cup is. I don't care either.

What I cared about was that Happy McDisneyDrawers was hooked! Wait. Do I like "Happy McDisneyDrawers"? I may have to think on that one for a bit. I'll chew on it for a while to see what I think. It may be a bit over the top.

On with the show!

Fast passes in hand, we head off to fly the friendly skies over CA. Wow, did we love that. Both of us. Coolest thing ever! I would have loved to do it again, but we wanted to wander World Showcase before the evening spectacular. DH, smiling, laughing, holding my hand as we wander. Life CAN NOT be better than this.

Then, it was the "beer" issue once more. I was wondering if Surly was coming back, but not really. It now became more of a comment instead of an out and out complaint. He (grudgingly) swallowed a Miller Lite, but only one.

We didn't do much of anything at this point. We wandered, people watched, moseyed through gift shops here and there. Epcot was virtually empty. There was no need to stake out a good place for Illuminations. It was all open. The show started, and as soon as the ball came into view with the photos passing over it, I heard a very quiet "wow" coming from DH. His eyes were wide open as he drank in the whole show. I shivered, but not from the cold. It was from the pure magic of the week. I have the man I love most in the world, enjoying something he told me he would never, ever do. He was happy. I was over the moon.

Sigh. I can say no more about that night.

Karen

pogo
01-16-2008, 03:48 PM
Isn't it wonderful how grown men react when they finally "get it" ! :faint:

I was the same way, but it happened to me the very first minute I was at MK for the first time. Now I'm obsessed ! :yes:

Come on.... where's day Five ???????? I can't wait to read more ! :D

AuntDJ
01-16-2008, 04:15 PM
WDWCrazyKaren~

I am loving your trip reports...you are SOOO descriptive!

How about picutres....I would love to see some!

DJ

TBY2225
01-16-2008, 04:18 PM
I am so glad he is finally "getting" it! I call it getting bit by the Disney bug! I remember when both my DH and I both got "bit". It is a memory to treasure always!

offwego
01-16-2008, 05:21 PM
Sounds like fun is growing on him.

Loved the call description!

dteed
01-16-2008, 05:21 PM
I am truly happy for you that the Disney Magic hooked your husband when even you figured he could not be hooked.

tinkerbell04
01-16-2008, 05:48 PM
:mickey:Wow, you have really turned him around and shown him what is right in life!:)

mrp4352
01-16-2008, 06:15 PM
Since it's official that you're going back you need to know where the good beer is! :D Go to the little bar outside of the Tusker House (or to the restaurants at Animal Kingdom Lodge) and ask for a Tusker. It's a super yummy African beer! Very, very smooth!

I'm really enjoying your trippie! Thanks for sharing!

KylesMom
01-16-2008, 07:56 PM
I shivered, but not from the cold. It was from the pure magic of the week. I have the man I love most in the world, enjoying something he told me he would never, ever do. He was happy. I was over the moon.
'nuff said on that one - isn't that what it's all about?!

My DH has several of your DH's tendencies, but being at Disney always seems to bring out the best in him. It truly IS the most magical place on earth! Yay Karen! :D :mickey:

RedheadWriter
01-16-2008, 10:10 PM
Yay!!!!!!!!!!!! The best day yet!:thumbsup:

FlaTinkRAMESAM
01-16-2008, 10:40 PM
YAY! I am so happy he enjoyed himself! That has to be a fantastic feeling. And knowing that he is enjoying it enough to talk to his son about the next trip... :thumbsup: yah did good!

I love the Happy McDisneyDrawers... hahahahahahaha I actually laughed out loud a little when I read that.

DAY 5!!!!???????????? I wanna read more! Oooh, and pics!

realtreebar
01-17-2008, 03:28 AM
thanks for sharing "gotta love :mickey: "

Cindy'smom
01-17-2008, 09:45 AM
Love your reports. They make me laugh, and I admit, I got a bit misty eyed reading this one. Congratulations on converting Mr. Crankypants. What a perfect, magical vacation for you! And as other posters have said, how about some pictures?

dteed
01-17-2008, 01:23 PM
Day 5 please!

Nascfan
01-17-2008, 01:39 PM
Karen, your reports are absolutely awesome! I LOVE the way you write. Experiencing your husband's conversion to Disney Lover is great. Thanks for sharing!

T-Belle
01-17-2008, 03:38 PM
Wow! Great report! You can feel the magic through the computer screen! Can't wait to read more.

Hair_Razor
01-17-2008, 03:54 PM
WOW, WOW, WOW!! I love your reporting. I would love to see picture from your "ye old picture maker":D

pdrlkr
01-17-2008, 11:08 PM
Thanks for the report! :smickey:

pdrlkr
01-17-2008, 11:11 PM
Thanks for the report! :smickey:

dolphinmickey9170
01-18-2008, 01:18 PM
I love the new name. We all knew he had to come around. The magic is overwhelming, you can't miss it, it gets in you no matter who you are. I love the fact that he told his son he'll love it there. That pretty much summed up that you will return and hopefully to the Poly!! We got married at the Poly, so it holds a special place in my heart! Good luck......how about them pictures? Off to read more..................:mickey:

MOJoe
01-18-2008, 02:58 PM
"There IS magic here. There truly is." Karen

Yes there is. And the more believers there are, the better.

faline
01-19-2008, 04:11 PM
:thumbsup:I think you have successfully converted a new Disney fan!! :mickey: