PDA

View Full Version : Cloverfield

chrisb26
01-16-2008, 02:08 AM
Well as some probably know a few months ago there was a trailer and all that was announced was that there was something destroying new york. We didn't even get a title for the movie just the release date 1-18-08. Well about a month ago they finally released the trailer and had its title of Cloverfield. Looks like it was shot to make it look like a home movie. We still dont know what is exactly destroying the city but the movie looks awesome! I heard an interview with JJ Abrams who is the producer of this movie as well as Lost. There where alot of rumors that it was Godzilla he said that it wasn't Godzilla and that Japan had that he is creating a new monster. I can't wait I'm going to go see it this Saturday with my friend!

Is anybody else going to go see it?

NotaGeek
01-16-2008, 03:59 AM
I was totally sucked in by the trailer! I am definitely intrigued!

If anyone is interested you can check out the Official Cloverfield Website (http://www.cloverfieldmovie.com/?gclid=CMvc1_mu-pACFR-YiQodXnC53g) for the trailer, it opens THIS Friday, 1/18/08!

Melanie
01-16-2008, 05:05 AM
Yikes, that's a disturbing picture. :unsure:

I've never heard of this movie. I'm usually a fan of JJ Abrams stuff though.

ChipnDaleGal
01-16-2008, 05:35 AM
We have been anxiously awaiting this one to open. We are hoping to get to it on Sunday. Looks like the kind of movie that scares the you know what out of you. :eek:

Sunshine1010
01-16-2008, 08:20 AM
I cannot wait to see this.

If you look on the net, there are leaked pictures of the monster. Don't know about the credibility of it all....but who knows....

Yeah, I heard that it was Godzilla also, and that they were denying it.

Yes, it's made to be perceived from someone who is holding a video camera.

They are purposely hiding a lot of facts to 'intrigue' patrons to come and watch the movie.

It has my attention.....

Oh yeah - if you look at the trailer...go to the part where the thing is destroying a bridge (I think that's what it is). Then, quickly put it on pause.....you can kinda see it. (I think).

Jared
01-16-2008, 09:41 AM
It has my attention, too, though my expectations are low. J.J. Abrams is clearly an advertising genius, and this viral marketing campaign has really captivated thousands of people -- just look at how many speculation blogs have popped up around the Internet.

I'll see the film this weekend, and I expect to be entertained. Unfortunately, it always seems like the movies with the worst advertising are the worst movie. But I trust Abrams, and I hope "Cloverfield" is not a disappointing.

I don't think it's possible for it to live up to the hype, but I hope for a strong monster flick, at least.

pink
01-17-2008, 08:24 PM
I wasn't very interested in this movie at first because it looked like a low budget horror flick to me when I saw the commercials but the premiere was the other night and all of the bloggers are raving about how good and scary it was. They compared it to the "Blair Witch Project" of 2008. Now I'm kind of interested- I'm just going to see what the critics think. :mickey:

PirateLover
01-17-2008, 09:25 PM
I'm skeptical. I don't like the way it looks. But my boyfriend wants to see it tomorrow, so I'll report back afterwards.

Jared
01-18-2008, 02:27 AM
I'll probably see it tomorrow, too. Surprisingly, the initial reviews are mostly positive, so I'm even more excited. It's a really short film, barely reaching 85 minutes, but it's mostly nonstop action shown entirely from a handheld camera. Apparently, the shakiness can theoretically cause motion sickness.

chrisb26
01-18-2008, 02:50 AM
I'll probably see it tomorrow, too. Surprisingly, the initial reviews are mostly positive, so I'm even more excited. It's a really short film, barely reaching 85 minutes, but it's mostly nonstop action shown entirely from a handheld camera. Apparently, the shakiness can theoretically cause motion sickness.

Yeah I was a bit disappointed to see it was only 85 minutes long but hopefully that wont be a bad thing.

This is a movie my grandma wouldn't be able to watch she has never been able to watch home movies because of the shakiness.

bleukarma
01-18-2008, 01:31 PM
I'm not big on scary movies, but this one has me intrigued. It's only PG-13 so hopefully it won't be too bad. I'm a fan of JJ Abrams so I might end up seeing it. It seems like the type of movie that would be better in the theater then if I wait to rent it.

julian
01-18-2008, 02:05 PM
I saw it last night when it opened. it's very scary and very intense. Many scenes are reminiscent of 9/11

Disneyatic
01-18-2008, 02:39 PM
My DH is so excited to see this movie, they have done a great job hyping up the mystery!

Can you tell me if this is made along the lines of the Blair Witch project, with all the scenes seen through the camera looking amatuer and all shaky??
I hated that and it would make a huge impact on how I felt about seeing this movie.

BouncingTigger
01-18-2008, 04:45 PM
I can't wait to see it! My boyfriend and I are going to see it today as soon as he gets off work. The advertising campaign has been brilliant.

I love J.J. Abrams (Lost!!!) and can't wait to see his version of a monster attack. It has gotten a lot of good reviews. On Yahoo Movies, critics gave it a B, which is really good for a monster movie (usually mainstream critics hate that stuff!).

I heard that the shakiness isn't as bad as Blair Witch and so it isn't as likely to make people sick.

I just love that scene in the preview with the Statue of Liberty's head rolling down the street and that guy screaming "Oh my god! Oh my god!" - very cool (and kind of disturbing - in a good way!)

As was said, there are sketches of the monsters online (yes, monsters). They look pretty cool. I don't know if they are completely accurate though.

On another note...I can't believe I never noticed there was a movies board on here! :blush:

WDWFREAK101
01-18-2008, 06:14 PM
Just got back from seeing it. It was good except for the camera. I HATED how the kid kept moving and shaking the camera around!!!! I was trying to look at something and then he moved the camera for no reason whatsoever!!! Also, whenever a girl would talk (Especially one he liked) the camera would move to her hand on her hip or something. Jeez, i HATED the camera but other than that it was a good movie

BouncingTigger
01-18-2008, 11:01 PM
Just got back from seeing it. I loved it! Tons of action but still very dramatic - the actors were good and it was very emotional in parts. There also was some good comic relief!

The camera is pretty shaky but you get used to it quickly. Plus, I thought it actually added to the intensity of the movie. Also, monsters are attacking NYC, ripping the head off the Statue of Liberty and stuff keeps getting blown up and lots of people are getting killed. Would YOU be able to hold the camera still? (still no excuse for the shaky party scene though)

Awesome movie! The whole theater applauded at the end!

Jared
01-18-2008, 11:29 PM
I really liked this film. Considering all the hype, I can't believe how much I liked it.

"Cloverfield" offers nonstop action from when the monster hits New York until the end. The entire story is told through a handheld camera lens, so the audience follows a small group of young twenty-somethings as they try to survive the apocalypse. The premise, established in the first frame of the picture, is that the government found the camcorder after the attack in "the area formerly known as Central Park," and we're watching it all unfold.

Having the entire movie shot as a home movie makes the story feel immediate, like it's happening as we're watching it. There are intentionally no stars in the film. Seeing a famous actor running through the mayhem would completely crush the concept -- that this horror actually happened.

This picture isn't trying to make a point, but so what? In some ways, it's a traditional monster movie, but the storytelling technique is so unique that the premise somehow feels fresh.

The monster is never explained, so we never learn what it is, how it got there and why it decided today was the perfect day to completely destroy New York City. I was engaged enough by "Cloverfield" to want a sequel. I'm curious about this creature, and I want to know more.

PirateLover
01-19-2008, 01:44 AM
Well I'll start by going on record and saying I really did like it-but remember I had no expectations and thought it would stink. ;)

I really enjoyed the comic relief. I laughed at a lot of things. I'm just bummed that at one point, an Asian gentleman is running down the street pointing up and yelling something in his own language. I really wanted him to say "GODZILLA!!" ;)

Can you tell me if this is made along the lines of the Blair Witch project, with all the scenes seen through the camera looking amatuer and all shaky??
I hated that and it would make a huge impact on how I felt about seeing this movie.
The shakiness was the worst in the beginning. It got a tad better but it was definitely distracting at some points. We had one in our group feel sick from watching it. She had to keep looking down. Almost all of us left with headaches.

I have a few minor beefs with this film. One is action (or lackthereof). There are some scenes when we see military trying to fight the monster but then the camera dips down... I guess it's supposed to signify him taking shelter but we wanted to see the action!

Also, as Jared said, the monster wasn't identified at all. Couldn't a news report or soldier just have said something like "Well we don't know for sure but it could be... " Just something!

Lastly the poster Julian made the statement that it seems reminiscent of 9/11. Well one scene looks like it's pulled straight from 9/11 footage... people running down the street to escape clouds of smoke, ducking into a store, yelling things like "did you see that?!", everything goes black then they venture back outside to check it out. No way we have that scene without 9/11. I found it a little odd/disturbing.

But overall I thought it was a solid movie.

BouncingTigger
01-19-2008, 01:09 PM
Oh, I wanted to add that a lot of people (myself included) have been missing some good stuff in the final scene of the movie. I won't say what it is because I don't want to spoil it, but pay attention to the right hand side of the screen in the distance. I am only posting this because apparently it is an important thing to see and I don't want anyone to miss it! I think I'm going to go see the movie again and pay attention this time.

Also, after the credits there is something but I don't think you necessarily need to stay for it because it won't make sense. Highlight to see why (spoiler).

It's just a garbled whisper that you can't make out. However, when played backwards, it says "it's still alive" in an urgent and frightened voice. Some people thinks it says "we're still alive," but this doesn't seem as likely. If you want to hear the clip, you can find it online. I thought this was a very Abrams move!

Jared
01-19-2008, 02:26 PM
I know what you're talking about and didn't notice it. My brother did, though, and called me last night to find out if I did, too.

Between what you're referring to and the spoiler you posted (which I did know about), there is definitely a huge possibility for a sequel, which I would actually like to see.

By the way, I have an opinion about the spoiler, which I will post in white:

I listened to the garbled whisper played backward, and I'm almost positive it says, "It's still alive," not "We're still alive." The former makes so much more sense, anyway. The characters weren't the stars of this film -- the creature and the camera work were. I don't need Hud and Rob in a sequel, just that monster.

chrisb26
01-20-2008, 12:18 AM
I just got back from it and thought it was good. I really liked it. I do have to admit the shakeyness was pretty bad at some points. I did get a bit nauseous during parts but nothing too bad. I enjoyed the way the movie was shot. To me it mad the movie seem more real like it actually happened since your following these people throughout the movie and what they see is what you see. I was kind of disappointed to see that we never really find out where the monster came from or what happened to it in the end. However that would have taken away from the aspect of the movie.

I sort of wish if it was done in a good way they would show a different view and not a home movie aspect so we could learn a bit more but I dont know if that would work or not.

I missed the scene at the end didn't realize it had something after the credits. I'll have to be sure to listen for it when it comes out on DVD.

MCFantasia
01-20-2008, 01:23 PM
I liked it.

I did notice the interesting part in the last scene but no one else in my group did. So maybe it just depends on whether you have an eye for detail.

The shaking bothered me at first but looking back it makes sense. During the first part of the movie they're filming at a party and the "documenter" is most likely drunk.

All in all... I'd like to go see it again.

WDWfanatic742
01-21-2008, 04:35 AM
I went to go see it on Saturday but had to leave early because the shakiness was just way too much for me. After seeing it again today, I left right where it started to get better and not so much. After watching it full through, the realness you get after seeing this movie makes it so good. On Yahoo it says that J.J. Adams has said that if he does make a sequal to the movie, it will be made with another camera found right around the two people near where the first camera was found.

2Epcot
01-21-2008, 07:48 PM
I just came back from seeing the movie this afternoon. I'm also a huge J.J. Abrams fan as well. I've been watching Season 3 of "Lost" getting ready for the new season.

I enjoyed the film very much. The shaky camera shots didn't bother me so much. I usually have more of a problem when horror films do the quick flash type shots, inserted throughout a movie. Though I did notice at least 4 people left the movie early.

This film did remind of The Blair Witch Project, and Independence Day kind of rolled into one. The production was amazing and for the most part it really did seem like you were just along with these people as things happened. Visual Effects inserted into handheld shots just give that sense that what your watching is real.

I actually found the home video style more believable in the beginning of the film, then as it went along. There were some points where I felt the camera ran too long to be so believable, but not so bad it didn't work. Director Matt Reeves has done mostly TV work which fit this style of this film which was shot from a video perspective.

The shots that looked like 9-11 were a little distracting, but were brief. Great acting, well executed concept ... Great film, though I wouldn't expect anything less from J.J. Abrams.