PDA

View Full Version : Please Help: San Angel Inn

DizneyFreak2002
01-15-2008, 07:17 PM
For those of you who have dined at San Angel Inn, please rate for me... Is the food spicy??? Is it worth it for dinner??? Would lunch be better???? I am thinking of making ADRs for my October trip, but, I want to know what you all think about this place....

AlvyOT08
01-15-2008, 07:26 PM
I just ate the San Angel Inn for lunch last week and loved it. My friend and I were on the deluxe dining plan, so we got an appitzer, entree, and dessert. I had some sort of enchilda chicken thing, which was amazing, a beef dish for my entree and flan for dessert. The entire meal was amazing and totally worth it. Our waiter was also very cool. Plus the atmoshphere is really neat. If your not on the dining plan, I would suggest going at lucnh to help defry some of the costs. But I think it's a most do!!

Strmchsr
01-15-2008, 07:43 PM
It's not quite as spicy as you would think. It's more of a "real" Mexican restaurant rather than the Americanized Mexican food, which I think is spicier. You can still get plenty of spicy food but it's not bad, and I'm not generally a fan of spicy food. The atmosphere is well worth it, but I would suggest you look at the menu in Info Central before making any final decisions.

DreamFinder2
01-15-2008, 08:04 PM
Food is always tasty...service has been iffy for us a couple of times. We generally make our ADRs there for lunch, but I think dinner would be worth it.

You just can't beat the atmosphere, though:fworks:.

SBETigg
01-15-2008, 09:44 PM
It's mildly spicy. My daughter can't stand spicy food, but she has no problems with the San Angel Inn food. I would stick to lunch, though. It's decent for lunch, great atmosphere, but you can do better for dinner elsewhere.

DrWorm2008
01-15-2008, 11:14 PM
I personally make it a point to go to the San Angel Inn at least once per 2 or 3 trips or so. I love that place. The food is tasty, authentic, not very spicy, and there really is a LOT of it. :thumbsup: The atmosphere is the best in Epcot for dining in my opinion - the Mexico marketplace on one side, the pyramid, jungle, and volcano on the other....I can't get enough of it! :cloud9: It IS a bit on the pricey side, but I think it's totally worth it. :mickey:

JerseyDad
01-16-2008, 10:14 AM
....love the San Angel Inn! And I have to agree with "DrWorm2008" that it is perhaps one of the most unique atmosphere's of all the WDW / Epcot restaurants. I'd even go so far as to say it's "romantic" (hope the wife don't see that I said that!!) The entire experience has always been enjoyable, with some really authentic...plentiful...and tasty food. We've eaten dinner there during each of our five trips, and it's become a trip highlight that we look forward to as much as any thrill ride or attraction.

As far as the food being "spicy"....on a scale of 1 to 10....I'd say it's a 5. There's just enough spice to give a kick to the flavors...but nothing that we ever ordered was overwhelming to the point where you don't taste the food. However, the salsa that they put on the table with the ADDICTIVE tortilla chips...is a bit on the "hotter" side of the scale. Of course...this does give you good reason to wash it down with a beer or one of their margaritas (or two...or...)!! A tip regarding the margaritas (if that's your style)...order one of the "Margarita San Angel Inn" with a top-shelf tequila (Patron Silver or Reposado...etc)...it makes the world of a difference in taste...and only adds $2 to the cost of the drinks (which are huge!....so big, in fact, that when my wife had half a margarita left over...our waiter had it poured into a styro-foam "coffee cup" for her...and she took it with her when we went out to watch Illuminations:marg:).

...finally...the food...a few of my favorites are:

Ceviche for an appetizer.....a bowl of Tortilla Soup (Sopa Azteca)....Filete Motuleno (beef tenderloin) for an entree`....and for dessert, Capirotada de Chocolate Blanco (white chocolate bread pudding).

...of course those are MY fav's...but my family & friends that have dined with us have always had good things to say about the dishes that they had chosen.

....if you choose to make ADR's here...ENJOY!!

Mrs Grumpy
01-16-2008, 01:28 PM
We ate there on our last trip and really enjoyed it. We were on the dining plan. We also did not think it was spicy at all.

Gator
01-16-2008, 02:23 PM
It's not quite as spicy as you would think. It's more of a "real" Mexican restaurant rather than the Americanized Mexican food, which I think is spicier.

This is quite funny to me, but I guess it's because we have about 20 Mexican diners in my small suburb of 40,000. San Angel is ANYTHING BUT REAL. It is very Americanized, very bland, and strange tasting. It makes eating at TacoBell seem like dining on fine cuisine in Baja. My wife and I can't stand it...but that's probably because we eat really good and authentic Mexican food every week.

DizneyFreak2002
01-16-2008, 06:58 PM
Thank you all for your comments... I am going to talk to my friend and see if we can plan on a lunch there.... Since I am part of the DVC, and the room I have comes with a little kitchen area, I am thinking breakfasts aren't all that necassary... We can just get something quick in the room... Then eat lunch.... I may just have to try San Angel Inn... Thanks again people...

DrWorm2008
01-16-2008, 07:26 PM
Great! Have Fun!:thumbsup:

DrWorm2008
01-16-2008, 07:28 PM
This is quite funny to me, but I guess it's because we have about 20 Mexican diners in my small suburb of 40,000. San Angel is ANYTHING BUT REAL. It is very Americanized, very bland, and strange tasting. It makes eating at TacoBell seem like dining on fine cuisine in Baja. My wife and I can't stand it...but that's probably because we eat really good and authentic Mexican food every week.
Absolutely, completely, and wholeheartedly DO NOT AGREE!!! No offense. :mickey: You WILL NOT REGRET trying it out. If I'm wrong, we'll meet in Germany and you can beat me with a hot sausage.:blush:

SignguyTom
01-17-2008, 12:12 PM
San Angel Inn is one of my faves! The food is not real spicy and the menu goes WAY beyond tacos and burritos. You can get those at the Cantina de San Angel.

This is a real restaurant with a real chef so all of the dishes will reflect the personality of the chef. I had a steak and shrimp dinner that was great! The steak, though not as big, was equal or better than the NY Strip I had at LeCellier, IMHO.

As far as "authenticity" - who knows...? I have eaten in restaurants in Nogales, Peurta Penasco (Rocky Point), Tijuana & Mazatlan. Every restaurant was unique. One in Rocky Point was a lot like a chain restaurant like Garcias or Arribe. The food was unique in each of them.

Try San Angel Inn. It is DEFINITELY NOT like Taco Bell in the least.

#1donaldfan
01-17-2008, 01:10 PM
I'm very sorry you asked.....I am rarely negative, but here goes anyway....I can't remember a more horrible meal in my life. The coke had a nasty taste, the waiter could care less. The food had a very, very strange taste, can't possibly describe it, nor do I "really" want to remember it. We have traveled the world over and have eaten at many places, but this one has to be a the very rock bottom of my all time bad list. On a scale from 1 to 10, 10 being the best, I'd have to give it a negative 2, actually that's really being nice. HOWEVER, we love the setting and the atmosphere...so go in, look around, shop some, buy some chips n salsa in the shop and go outside and eat, or have 'em sent back to your room. Oh yeah, ride the ride it's a blast too. Actually, on our very first trip we were on the ride, didn't realize the restarunt was in there, floated by the dinning room and decided next trip to definatley go in to eat.......wow what a mistake......:ack::ack::ack:

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-17-2008, 01:22 PM
:) I always have to say, that opinions on restaurants are opinions, everyone has specific tastes and the only way to know for sure is to try it yourself....but here is my take on San Angel Inn-

Ambiance is great, you see people going by on the ride, the theming is really neat.

Food-Kind of bland, and not a lot of choices in menu

We ate there for lunch, can't comment on dinner. If it were me, I would save my Table Service for another restaurant and get my mexican fix at Cantina San Angel-Counter Service....the selection is better and the food quality and portion a better value.

DizneyFreak2002
01-17-2008, 06:26 PM
I don't use the dining plan so I won't be using or wasting a table service choice here.... I am going to see what my friend wants to do... I am willing to try it out...

katzctkpt
01-18-2008, 08:44 AM

I'm very sorry you asked.....I am rarely negative, but here goes anyway....I can't remember a more horrible meal in my life. The coke had a nasty taste, the waiter could care less. The food had a very, very strange taste, can't possibly describe it, nor do I "really" want to remember it. We have traveled the world over and have eaten at many places, but this one has to be a the very rock bottom of my all time bad list. On a scale from 1 to 10, 10 being the best, I'd have to give it a negative 2, actually that's really being nice. HOWEVER, we love the setting and the atmosphere...so go in, look around, shop some, buy some chips n salsa in the shop and go outside and eat, or have 'em sent back to your room. Oh yeah, ride the ride it's a blast too. Actually, on our very first trip we were on the ride, didn't realize the restarunt was in there, floated by the dinning room and decided next trip to definatley go in to eat.......wow what a mistake......:ack::ack::ack:

I would have to agree with both of these post. This is the worse food I've ever stuck in my mouth. The coke had a really weird taste I sent it back twice finally asked for a sprite and it had the same taste. Yuck:ack::ack: I think that Taco Bell has a better menu and taste versus this place. Try somewhere else don't waste your money on the food.

Disney Doll
01-18-2008, 11:28 AM

:ditto:

My family doesn't care for San Angel and we always assume it's because we're spoiled by the really good authentic Mexican restaurants we have in Okla. We love Mexican food, but San Angel just didn't do it for us.

purplestarlisa
01-18-2008, 11:46 AM
We ate lunch at San Angell Inn and I think it had the best atmosphere of any restaurant I have ever been to! It is just amazing - you absolutely have to go!

We weren't crazy about the food, but we are not big Mexican food eaters. It definitely wasn't spicy. Even so, I can't wait to go back simply because of how beautiful it is there!

Lisa

DrWorm2008
01-18-2008, 05:51 PM
San Angel Inn is one of my faves! The food is not real spicy and the menu goes WAY beyond tacos and burritos. You can get those at the Cantina de San Angel.

This is a real restaurant with a real chef so all of the dishes will reflect the personality of the chef. I had a steak and shrimp dinner that was great! The steak, though not as big, was equal or better than the NY Strip I had at LeCellier, IMHO.

As far as "authenticity" - who knows...? I have eaten in restaurants in Nogales, Peurta Penasco (Rocky Point), Tijuana & Mazatlan. Every restaurant was unique. One in Rocky Point was a lot like a chain restaurant like Garcias or Arribe. The food was unique in each of them.

Try San Angel Inn. It is DEFINITELY NOT like Taco Bell in the least.

Here, here! Feel the love! :mickey:

dolphinmickey9170
01-18-2008, 05:58 PM
My family isn't really into Mexican food, but we tried this:

Plato Mexicano
Grilled beef taco, chicken enchilada and quesadilla with onions and peppers served with refried beans, guacamole and rice - $13.95

And it was very good. It wasn't spicy at all, I didn't need my tums after all. This was lunch. We did this one OOP and used TS credits for dinner elsewhere, because after about 4 hours, we were all hungry again. It just didn't stick with us.

DisFan01
01-18-2008, 06:12 PM
Okay, we LOVE San Angel Inn. We always do ADR for Lunch, because it's less expensive.

I got the Mexican Plate, but that wasn't spicy.

But DON'T dip the nachos in the salsa before you get your drinks... ;)

Jared
01-19-2008, 10:55 AM
You mention an important point, and I always have this discussion with others on the boards.

Since we all reside in different part of the country, it's sometimes very difficult to make an accurate restaurant recommendation in Walt Disney World, especially for the supposedly ethnic places.

Whenever a thread about Nine Dragons or any of the Italian eateries pop up, I and several others immediately criticize the restaurant, telling the original poster to try somewhere different. I'm from Westchester Country, a nice suburb about 20 minutes from New York City. Obviously, I can find considerably better Chinese than Nine Dragons on my local street corner for more than half the cost. However, there are people on these boards who don't have that luxury and see Nine Dragons as authentic and delicious Chinese.

Are they wrong? Not necessarily. It all depends on perspective.

Gator, I totally understand why you would consider San Angel Inn inauthentic and disappointing because you have incredible Mexican cuisine outside your door. I probably would think Epcot's version is delicious.

So when making and reading restaurant reviews, consider were you're from. Always read the other poster's location bar. A person's hometown tells could tell a lot about his food tastes.

And now back to the regularly scheduled thread.

:tasty:

DizneyFreak2002
01-19-2008, 12:43 PM
Well put Jared... I feel the same way about the Italian restaurants in WDW... I can get great Italian food here in NY/NJ..... The Italian food I had in WDW was bland to me... So, I stay away from those restaurants.... Same with Nine Dragons... I get delicious Chinese food at home, so I avoid Nine Dragons... However, Mexican food isn't very popular around here so San Angel Inn was a place I thought I would try... And actually, I can get decent German food in NJ as well, yet, I loved Biergarten... Go figure....

elmjimmlm
01-19-2008, 03:23 PM
I do believe that this was the worst meal I have ever had...ANYWHERE!!! The restaurant was nice and the waiter we had mad it ugly...I ordered pork...The table that we sat at was very dark and I guess that is becuase they dont want you to see what you are eating...I was served a plate full of pork fat...no meat...just fat:ack:...I asked to send it back and he told me no!!! Hands down the worst experience EVER!!!