PDA

View Full Version : parks crowded last week!

dmallan
01-15-2008, 04:27 PM
Oops, I just realized I posted this in the wrong thread. Sorry!
Please feel free to move it.

We just returned from a week at the world and were very surprised at the crowds.
In the past we've scheduled our trips during the value season to avoid the large crowds, and have been very spoiled being able to walk on to most rides/attractions without a wait. In fact the last time we went, there was no need to use fastpass because there were no lines!
So, hearing that January is traditionally a low atendance month, we scheduled for the second week (actually, Tuesday the 8th to Monday the 13th). I knew that the marathon was that weekend, but most people here had said that the marathon doesn't really affect the crowds too much.

Well, I'm not sure what it was - probably a combination of things, but we weren't able to walk onto anything.
Now, don't get me wrong, the waits were not over an hour, and in most cases we were able to take advantage of fastpasses to make efficient use of our time, but it was not what I was expecting.

I spent the first three days of our trip saying "What is going on? Why is it so crowded?"
Eventually, I found out that 34,000 people ran the marathon and 1/2 marathon. Add to that family members that came along and that could account for quite a few additional people on property.
We also noticed that there were a great number of people from other countries. I was amazed at the number of people we passed who were not speaking English. I would guess about half of the people that we encountered, either on the walkways, on the bus, or waiting in line were from a foreign country. It was like the United Nations! It probably has alot to do with the favorable exchange rate.
There were also many large tour groups in the parks. One in particular was very obnoxious. We were in line behind them for BTMR and for 45 minutes they poked and slapped each other every time they passed in the queue - Adults as well as children. They were loud and obnoxious. We were glad to finally get on the ride.

Other than being overwhelmed by the number of people at the parks, it was a great trip. We got to see most of the attractions on our list, bus waits weren't too long (although buses were very crowded), magical express was fantastic, All Star Music was a great resort, and the dining all week long was outstanding!

One thing I was very disappointed in was the condition of the bathrooms. Some of them were disgusting. With constant use, they should be taken care of more often. Of course after my two cups of tea in the morning, I know where every bathroom is in every park! Many of them were acceptable, but others were :ack:

But all in all, a great trip.

AlvyOT08
01-15-2008, 07:34 PM
I was just at Disney from January 6-13. Yes, the marathong did make the weekend a little busier, but I really didn't think it was that bad. Last time I went was in late May/early June. My friend and I used fast passes all the time and barely had to wait for any of the attractions. We made sure we were there at park opening every day if we could. The one day at the MK, we rode Dumbo, with no wait and then rode Peter Pan twice with no wait. We also walked onto Soarin' twice on Saturday right after park opening and then got a fast pass to ride later. I really didn't thinkthe crowds were that bad.

As for the bathrooms, we used just about everyone. I thought the bathrooms were clean and someone was always in cleaning them when I was in using them.

Your right about all the international guests and the groups. I didn't mind the international guests becuase I was talking to a lot of them. HOwever, the tour groups became annoying after awhile.

My friend and I stayed at the POP centruy and loved it. Everything wa sperfect everday. All of our dining was also outstanding. It really was the perfect trip. There was nothing to ever complain about. Except that I'm not home in PA and it's cold and were getting snow. Too bad, your experience wasnt' as good.

Pipalotta
01-15-2008, 07:56 PM
We just returned home from a week in Disney as well and I didnt think it was crowded at all. Sure some of the times posted said anywhere between 5 to 50 minutes, but for the most part it was half of those times posted. Soaring said 50mins and it was 25 minutes from start to getting off the ride. We never used fast pass and on Tuesday at Magic Kingdom we got there at 9 and finished everything we wanted to do by 3:30, I think maybe we didnt ride like 4 things in the whole park. Every day we did so much stuff we had time to have a break in the afternoon. Ive been in Feb before and it was way more crowded then than it was this past weekend. The biggest problem we had were the LARGE, NASTY, RUDE, NO RULE FOLLOWING groups from Brazil. And they say America's are rude sheesh. We got pushed out of the way during two parades, cut in line on like 5 rides. It was rediculous.

dmallan
01-15-2008, 08:57 PM
Our waits were not outrageous - most often 20 minutes or so, but compared to 3-1/2 years ago, when we literally walked onto every attraction, it was more crowded.
And I'm not saying we had a bad time. Only that the crowds were not what I had expected.

We actually had a wonderful stay - and got a chance to eat at some marvelous restaurants - We did the Breakfast buffet at 1900 Park Fare, Teppan Edo, 50's Prime Time, Hollywood and Vine, Boma and Rose and Crown. Most we had not been to before, so they were new experiences.

Shugoondola
01-15-2008, 09:20 PM
Just returned from WDW and I thought it was a little more crowded than I expected, but we pretty much had very little waits (5-10 minutes) and never used Fastpass. I am used to going in June and July so this past week was a piece of cake for me. The weather was really great, too. What surprised me the most was the large number of school age kids I saw. Thought they'd all be back in school by now.

Was really disappointed the Osbourne lights weren't on.

:mickey:

BouncingTigger
01-17-2008, 12:39 AM
We just got back from a Jan 5-12 trip (spent Jan 6-11 in the parks). It was my first trip to WDW but I thought the crowds were very light. We walked on to so many lines, especially early in the morning. We used FASTPASS a few times to ride attractions with anything over a 20 minute wait - which wasn't much!

I will say that on the 11th and 12th, we noticed more tour groups (especially youth groups - I noticed a dance group too), so that upped the crowds some. Still, it wasn't that bad - a lot of the groups were very courteous - several of the dance girls were giving up their seats on the bus so others could sit!

Also, there were lots of international visitors, but I thought that was really cool - definitely not a bad thing. Nearly all of the rude behavior I saw came from Americans - the people from other countries seemed pretty laid back. I did wonder what people from the world showcase countries thought of their country's pavilion (for instance, did Italians like Italy? Did Norwegians like Norway?).

fielin
01-17-2008, 08:12 AM
Also, there were lots of international visitors, but I thought that was really cool - definitely not a bad thing. Nearly all of the rude behavior I saw came from Americans - the people from other countries seemed pretty laid back. I did wonder what people from the world showcase countries thought of their country's pavilion (for instance, did Italians like Italy? Did Norwegians like Norway?).

I am French and I loved the World Showcase. Of course, it's a little sterotypical, more like a postcard of Paris than the real Paris, but it was very nice to see such a beautiful 'France'.

I think World Showcase takes what's best in the countries it represents, and that it does not try to be an exact replica of the countries. The only downside was the Boulangerie Pātisserie.

I had heard such rave reviews of the cakes that I had high expectations... Well, let me tell you that if you like what they serve there, you would be overwhelmed with what they really serve in even the worst Boulangerie Pātisserie here.

But apart from that, I loved the flattering rendition of Paris in the World Showcase. And having travelled to many other countries around Europe (England, Morocco, Italy...), I have to say that I'm sure other foreigners feel the same.

irish1967
01-17-2008, 01:10 PM
My DB is an experienced marathoner and he told me that he has been hearing more and more of the "serious" marathoners (by that I mean the ones that travel around the country, participating in marathons throughout the year) because it is an ideal location for combining a race with a family vacation. Add in the fact that it is a Boston Qualifying Race and it is almost irresistable :mickey:

I participated in the 1/2 marathon on Saturday so I can't comment on crowds that day, but the other days, I didn't feel that the parks were overly crowded. The only real impact the marathon weekend had on us was that we went to EPCOT on Sunday for lunch and the marathoners were still running through. Next year, we will definitely avoid EPCOT on Sunday until much later in the day.

BouncingTigger
01-17-2008, 03:43 PM
I had heard such rave reviews of the cakes that I had high expectations... Well, let me tell you that if you like what they serve there, you would be overwhelmed with what they really serve in even the worst Boulangerie Pâtisserie here.

Really? Wow! My bf and I loved the napoleon we got there - it was so incredible - a major highlight of our day at Epcot. We didn't try anything else, but I heard other people gushing about their orders. We are planning a trip to Europe, including France, probably in summer '09, and we will definitely have to stop in a Boulangerie Pâtisserie (I'm guessing that's the French word for bakery?) and indulge. I bet I'll gain weight on that vacation! :blush: