PDA

View Full Version : Recently back. Not thrilled with DP '08.

Mousefever
01-15-2008, 12:27 AM
My family and I were in Disney World from January 1-10. Despite the changes to the dining plan for 2008, we decided to try it because of its convenience. Unfortunately, the new plan was often quite inconvenient.

Our sit-down meals were all quite acceptable. In fact, some were extremely satisfying. And the service was about the same as before. Some servers were very, very good, and some were just OK.

I did not miss the appetizers. If we wanted one, we just ordered it. But I came away from most meals feeling satisfied, but not overstuffed.

So where was the problem with the plan? It was in the fact that we don't like to carry very much cash, and that made tipping very awkward and inconvenient. If we wanted to tip via room charge, we either had to tell the server what we were going to tip him or her before they ran the card, or we had to send the server back and forth twice, to run the card for the dining plan and then to run it for the tip. Several servers told me that it was extremely uncomfortable for them to have to ask for the tip amount up front, but that their managers were telling them to do it that way.

I received a little inside information that should surprise no one. After I mentioned my dislike for the new dining plan, one of our servers said that she was on the 50 person panel of union reps which met with Disney about the proposed changes to the dining plan. I told her that Disney position has been that the union requested the exclusion of tips from the new plan. The server laughed and said that the union fought the tip exclusion tooth and nail. The server said that Disney felt that they were not making enough money on the plan, and that they were, in essence, paying the servers' tips. The only concession Disney made, the server said, was to list both the 15% tip amount and the 20% tip amount on the receipt.

Like I said, I'm not thinking that anyone is surprised by this, if it's true. I just thought I'd pass it along.

Amy

drhama
01-15-2008, 01:05 AM
Thank you for the report. Certainly no surprise that there are some different opinions on how and why things turned out as they did. The suggestion that Disney did not feel that they were making enough money on the DP, has the ring of truth to me. Just my opinion.
The difficulties with tipping is something nice to know as I will be using the DP in September (only because we got it for free). Perhaps, some of the bugs will have gotten work out by then.

DizneyRox
01-15-2008, 07:25 AM
First, I would be appauled if a server "reminded" me about the tip by asking how much to put on the card. There would be no tip after hearing that.

And I do beleive it was Disney's call on the tip exclusion. It smells of greed, which smells like Disney the past few years.

Ian
01-15-2008, 08:07 AM
Yeah, I don't think there's any doubt that this change was all Disney's idea. I've read in multiple places, from reasonably accurate sources, that Food and Beverage's profits were way down due to the DDP and that's why they made these changes.

As far as the tips go ... thanks for the information. We're going in May and we're going to be on the deluxe DDP. I'll make sure we carry plenty of cash for tips so we can avoid these awkward moments.

I'm also going to make sure to complain loudly and often about the changes and how inconvenient they've made a plan that was supposed to be all about convenience.

tennantsrwe
01-15-2008, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the heads up with the tipping situation. I was curious how it would work if you wanted to charge it to your room. I, too, think it would be very akward to have your CM ask what amount you wanted to leave them. That just kinda puts you on the spot I think. We've got our Jan 09 trip in the works so unless there is a change back to the old plan....which would be AWESOME....I guess we'll have to carry more cash on us than usual. It's not suprising that Disney wanted these changes, they're most concerned with the numbers. I do wish they'd really take in to consideration the opinions of their faithful patrons. Who knows maybe all our complaints will help change their mind a little. I can deal with no app...that isn't too much of an extra expense if we happen to want one...but the tip thing kinda bugs me. Oh well, lets cross our fingers and see how it goes!:fingers:

grego77
01-15-2008, 08:56 AM
Thanks for the heads-up Amy. I hope the rest of your trip went well for both of you!! :mickey:

tiaramom
01-15-2008, 09:01 AM
We Will Be Arrivng In A Few Weeks And Also Doing The New Ddp 2008 ( Basic Pac Kage). We Have Been On The Plan Many , Many Times- And Really Enjoyed The Plan.
I Honestly Not Looking Forward To
Carring Cash For Tips. The Whole Point For Us- Was Not To Carry Cash! This Is Annoying! The Servers At The Buffets Dont Do That Much For The Diner- And Im Wondering How Im Suppose To Give 20 %
I Was A Waitress In My Past- And Know The Importance Of Tips. If They Are A Good Server- You Give A Bit Extra. But, I Can Tsee Paying 20% On A Buffet. I Understand The Side Jobs Etc - They Must D0-but I Will Not Tip That Much On A Regular Basis. I Am Not Being Cheap- Disney Is Expensive! I Think Many Of The Servers Will Be Disapointed At The End Of The Day. Disney Should Take Care Of Their Workers- Its Not Up To Us- They Need To Do The Figures And Work Out Whats Best For Their Own Employees - Not Us! I Too Am Sad About The Appertizers- But, Hey, Arent We All.
The Sit Downs Are Always Better Quality- And It Will Be Alot More $$$$ Money For Us This Year On Dining Because Of The Tipping. I Didnt Like What The Servers Were Saying About Tipping To The Last Intercotee- That Is Ruid!
I Wouldnt Want To Be Asked To Tip- Thats
Gross!! Lol
We Will See...

Hammer
01-15-2008, 09:06 AM
Not surprising that it was Disney's idea and it is very easy for them to blame the union in a right to work state. Amy, I do have one question, though. When you ordered something extra with your meal which would require you to receive a bill, could you just leave the tip on that check? Example: My sister and I usually order vegetable sides when we eat at Le Cellier as well as a glass of wine. We use the Dining Plan. At the end of the meal we should receive 2 checks, one for the Dining Plan and one for the alcohol and side dishes. We would put a tip for these items and any additional tip we wanted to leave if we had very good service on the second bill. Can we still do that without telling the amount to the server? I would just write the amount on the 2nd slip in the past.

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-15-2008, 09:11 AM
:) I also was disappointed that they took the tip of the plan, because it was nice not to have to carry cash...However, I will do that to avoid the awkwardness of the situation...what I would have rather seen done was them raise the daily price of the plan say $5-$7 and leave the tip on it.

Hammer
01-15-2008, 09:12 AM
I Didnt Like What The Servers Were Saying About Tipping To The Last Intercotee- That Is Ruid!

How is that rude? The person asked the server a question and the person gave them the answer. I rather they do that than lie and say some company line. Only by asking questions are you going to get both sides of an issue.

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
01-15-2008, 09:45 AM
How is that rude? The person asked the server a question and the person gave them the answer. I rather they do that than lie and say some company line. Only by asking questions are you going to get both sides of an issue.I read that comment as she would find it rude if the wait staff asked her directly what tip she'd be leaving them. I didn't think it was about their conversation.

biodtl
01-15-2008, 09:53 AM
Do you have to leave the tip in cash, or can you charge it to your room? I'd rather not carry a lot of cash, but I will if have to, to make sure my servers are properly tipped.

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
01-15-2008, 09:58 AM
I also wonder if the genius bean counters will do a comparison with the different incarnations of the dining plan vs. souvenir spending. I know our family spent a lot more on souvenirs when the dining plan was perceived as a better deal. Having to leave our own tip will just cut into their t-shirt, stuffed animal, mug, hats, etc. sales from this family. We go with a general budget in mind and if Disney wants to steer our money in one direction - we'll cut it off for another.

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
01-15-2008, 10:00 AM
Do you have to leave the tip in cash, or can you charge it to your room? I'd rather not carry a lot of cash, but I will if have to, to make sure my servers are properly tipped.The OP was writing about tipping with her room charge.

Mousefever
01-15-2008, 10:05 AM
Just to clarify, the servers did not directly ask for a tip. I was the one who brought up my dissatisfaction with the new plan with the tip not being included. The servers then agreed that it was very awkward having to explain to people who asked when the tip should be added. They all seemed very embarrassed when it came to that point in the meal. Sorry if I was unclear.

Christine, we did have extras on the meal several times, and we were able to add the tip onto the extra charges. That, at least, made the tipping a little easier.

Amy

:dory:

offwego
01-15-2008, 10:51 AM
Christine, we did have extras on the meal several times, and we were able to add the tip onto the extra charges. That, at least, made the tipping a little easier.

Amy

:dory:
So to add a little levity..except for MK which is "dry" all I have to do to avoid being embarrased and adding delay to my bill calcs it to sacrifce myself and order a glass of wine with each dinner? (though this might be a problem at a breakfast) That is a mighty useful tip!!! (and fun too!!)

However seriously unless your going to say and make it easier your going to have extra time waiting around which is just nasty..or carrying a bunch of cash which is equally nasty. Just a no win for guests and servers in my opionion.

SBETigg
01-15-2008, 11:11 AM
I'm really surprised that it was so inconvenient to tip. With the old plan, we almost always left extra tip and just included it with the extra items we ordered on the room charge, which they ran at the same time as the DP charges and they never had to make two trips (much like Christine mentions in her response). I guess if you didn't order any extras and everything was covered by DP that it would be slightly more inconvenient to charge it to the room, but I can't imagine it would be that awkward.

mjaclyn
01-15-2008, 12:42 PM
DH and I are heading to WDW this weekend and we're on the dining plan. I think we'll try to bring cash with us for the tips - I'd rather not have to discuss how much tip I want to leave my server - especially if they're not too good!

crazeedizneefinatic
01-15-2008, 01:43 PM
I personally would not feel awkward telling the server how much of a tip. We used the dining plan last September when the tip was included. Alot of times we left a little extra for good service. We ate at Garden Grill one day for dinner. It burned me up that our server got any tip from us. We even spoke to the Manager about it. I would have had no problem telling him "no tip" at all! The meal (once we got it) was good and the atmosphere wonderful but the service was the pits. The waiter next to us helped us more. We found him at the end of our meal and gave him something extra. Believe me, this year I will not hesitate to leave less or none at all if we get service like that again and I will explain, nicely of course, what the problem was. I don't think anyone should be held hostage or feel obligated to leave a percentage for a tip. Good, efficient service will equal 18% or above. Waiter disappearing for 45 minutes with no one to cover his table =no tip!

lockedoutlogic
01-15-2008, 02:08 PM
I also wonder if the genius bean counters will do a comparison with the different incarnations of the dining plan vs. souvenir spending. I know our family spent a lot more on souvenirs when the dining plan was perceived as a better deal. Having to leave our own tip will just cut into their t-shirt, stuffed animal, mug, hats, etc. sales from this family. We go with a general budget in mind and if Disney wants to steer our money in one direction - we'll cut it off for another.

I believe that....and i've posted the same thought in here on many threads....was the ENTIRE point to the dining plan

To allow the customer to be led into spend more disposable cash on merchandise (huge profit margin) after they had long since prepaid for the rest of the trip.

I have no doubt...knowing the operation down there from both sides of the cash register

I'm also laughing at the original post about what the server divulged about the plan....not because i think it's funny...because it is absolutely typical with the way things are operated and the motiviations of the beancounters down at WDW.
It was the first thing that jumped into my mind when the changes were announced...almost like the sixth sense....and now I can't help but to shake my head in sarcastic disbelief when it was confirmed by a worker....

Same old operation

goin2disney
01-15-2008, 02:10 PM
I will be sure to carry cash with us but not just $5, $10s but also singles. You don't want to have to ask for money back from the tip amount either. We usually tip 20% as long as we are happy with the service. We are a party of 8 so they already calculate the tip at 18%. I will complain if we have bad service, hopefully we won't have that problem.

iheartdisney
01-15-2008, 03:24 PM
While we haven't experienced the all, new and improved dining plan yet I'm glad they did away with the automatic tip. Yes, it'll be a bit more of a hassle but it will remain what it was intended for: "TIPS" = To Insure Proper Service. We've found that with many servers, as soon as they heard dining plan the level of service plummetted...they were getting their tip anyway, so what did they care about good service? That said, I will share some info from a 15 yr. career server at the Sci-Fi Diner that we met on our last trip. We talked to him about the new and improved changes coming up in 2008 (we were there in Dec.) and he told me he and his fellow workers were concerned about Disney dropping the tips from the meal plan because so many regular Disney go-ers were so used to the tip being included they were concerned tips would be forgotten all together. So, remember your server when you receive good and/or excellent service! They rely on this added income!

jszczur5
01-15-2008, 03:34 PM

Absolutely bang on! Most families go with a certain pre-set amount of money with which they are willing to part - be it on food, tips, souvenirs, t-shirts, Disney crocs etc. If you are now laying out an additional $30-$40 a day in gratuities, that's a whole lot less Mickey t-shirts making it into the suitcase. I can really see that we will spending a lot less at DTD and at our favourite gift shop in the Contemporary. Disney may be saving on the DDP, but the will lose on other ancillary sales. Families only have so much money to spend.

davidrea
01-15-2008, 04:15 PM
1st time poster. I just found this site and it's awesome. We are going in April and trying to decide on the food plan. I guess my question is without the appitizer is the basic plan worth the money? Granted we were going to plan our big meals for lunch. Thanks

David

vamaggie
01-15-2008, 04:25 PM
1st time poster. I just found this site and it's awesome. We are going in April and trying to decide on the food plan. I guess my question is without the appitizer is the basic plan worth the money? Granted we were going to plan our big meals for lunch. Thanks

David

First :welcome: to Intercot!! You will find a ton if info here. Ask lots of questions and check out Info Central (tab at top) for almost anything you could need. That said, since you are going in April, the first thing I would do is check out some menus and make your ADRs asap! Many places will book up (since it will be spring break time) and you can't count on just walking up(even at lunch,but especially for dinners and character breakfasts) There is also a dining plan calculator in Info Central that can help you decide if the Dining Plan is good for you. Run the numbers and see how it shakes out. Again, WELCOME ABOARD!!!!

Natazu
01-15-2008, 08:56 PM
As far as the tips go ... thanks for the information. We're going in May and we're going to be on the deluxe DDP. I'll make sure we carry plenty of cash for tips so we can avoid these awkward moments.

I'm also going to make sure to complain loudly and often about the changes and how inconvenient they've made a plan that was supposed to be all about convenience.
Ditto.

Example: My sister and I usually order vegetable sides when we eat at Le Cellier as well as a glass of wine. I believe at least half of that example.

princessgirls
01-15-2008, 09:20 PM
Yeah, I don't think there's any doubt that this change was all Disney's idea. I've read in multiple places, from reasonably accurate sources, that Food and Beverage's profits were way down due to the DDP and that's why they made these changes.

Thanks Ian. All we can do is keep complaining, as my good friend and fellow Disney nut said to me over the holidays... "Disney will keep tweaking things until people won't spend". They had a record year in 2007, so my gut tells me these changes are here to stay.
Julie

Speedy1998
01-15-2008, 09:54 PM
Not sure everyone is looking at this right. Disney started the DDP to fill the TS restaurants, prior to the DDP the majority of guest ate food that they had brought or, ate CS only (It has been awhile since I have seen a thread about buying groceries for your hotel room). Now Disney has the opposite problem, many of the restaurants are too full, so they are adjusting the plan to get a balance between empty TS restaurants and unhappy guest who could not get into a TS restaurant.

To me it actually looks like a simple case of supply and demand, the demand exceeds the supply so the price has gone up.

Just an observation from a bean counter.

Natazu
01-15-2008, 09:58 PM
Not sure everyone is looking at this right. Disney started the DDP to fill the TS restaurants, prior to the DDP the majority of guest ate food that they had brought or, ate CS only (It has been awhile since I have seen a thread about buying groceries for your hotel room). Now Disney has the opposite problem, many of the restaurants are too full, so they are adjusting the plan to get a balance between empty TS restaurants and unhappy guest who could not get into a TS restaurant.

To me it actually looks like a simple case of supply and demand, the demand exceeds the supply so the price has gone up.

Just an observation from a bean counter.

That's very astute and economically exactly the case. I still want my appetizers. ;)

DizneyRox
01-16-2008, 07:04 AM
Now Disney has the opposite problem, many of the restaurants are too full, so they are adjusting the plan to get a balance between empty TS restaurants and unhappy guest who could not get into a TS restaurant.
I see this as squeezing the guests for every last nickle. I honestly don't think they give a hoot if guests are unhappy they can't get a seat, as long as the tables are full.

Removal of the app was a cost saving as well as a throughput decision. If poeple don't order an app, they will get through their meal faster, meaning more poeple through the restaurant on any given day. The reason there isn't a choice between the two is probably related to that as well as dessert typically costs less to make as well (higher profit margin).

Giving a choice of app or dessert coul extend the meal time. 1/2 the people at a talbe get an app and share, and the other 1/2 get a dessert and share, and you have a longer time to eat which means less people through the restaurant.

lockedoutlogic
01-16-2008, 09:34 AM
I see this as squeezing the guests for every last nickle. I honestly don't think they give a hoot if guests are unhappy they can't get a seat, as long as the tables are full.

Removal of the app was a cost saving as well as a throughput decision. If poeple don't order an app, they will get through their meal faster, meaning more poeple through the restaurant on any given day. The reason there isn't a choice between the two is probably related to that as well as dessert typically costs less to make as well (higher profit margin).

Giving a choice of app or dessert coul extend the meal time. 1/2 the people at a talbe get an app and share, and the other 1/2 get a dessert and share, and you have a longer time to eat which means less people through the restaurant.

Another good angle on this.....and i thoroughly agree that the changes have nothing to do with lessening the crowds at the sitdowns....

There are only two ways to do that: 1. eliminated the dining plan and force the consumer to pay out of pocket...which will steer them right back to the quickserves or 2. disney continues to increase price and gut the benefits of the DDP to the point where it steadily declines in popularity and is then replaced by some other scheme.

My money is on #2....the dining plan is almost exactly like the discovery and deluxe magic plans that went down the tubes about 6 years ago....minus the recreation. those plans became unpalatable because of the costs and unused "coupons" that seemed to always be left over.

Besides...it has long been established that Disney makes more money on the the counter service locations than the sitdowns.... quite simply - the difference in employee ratio, volume, and mark up on mass produced fast food over custom prepared a la carte sitdowns is easily more profitable

so i think the subtraction of the appie and the gratuity is not only to shorten meals periods (leading to more volume and more park time to shop)...but also to increase out of pocket expenditures on the appetizers and to encourage the guest not to order right to left using the gratuity as a deterrent.

I know that my family would have probably ordered very differently in November if we had to pay tips......and we are in no way cheap or not generous with tips....

It's just human nature to go overboard with more of a blank check.

To be honest...I'm surprised that they let it go on for as long as they did.....i thought the changes would have been in year 2 and we would already be in a much more expensive, less valuable plan at this point.

We'll probably get there twice this year....baby changes everything....and maybe try it once with DDP and once with DDE....

I definitely think DDE will be the smart bet from now on.

eam
01-16-2008, 10:04 AM
We'll probably get there twice this year....baby changes everything....and maybe try it once with DDP and once with DDE....
I definitely think DDE will be the smart bet from now on.

We went twice last year with the DDE and loved it, but this is where they have now added the automatic 18% gratuity. Having crunched the numbers as previously discussed, Disney must have decided this is where they will make more money. Personally, I love the DDE as you get the 20% off everything, including 'adult beverages', but one drawback is that it is not valid at all dining establishments. Maybe this will change if it becomes more popular. Also, there are only two of us as compared to families where I don't know cost comparisons. Anyway, it will be interesting to see where it all ends up, as you know it will coninually be tweaked, and I will continue to be there.

lockedoutlogic
01-16-2008, 10:09 AM
I'm highly surprised if they added the the 18% to the DDE....though apparently it's true.

since it is true....i have to wonder why.....the dde is good for vacation club and florida residents...the two target groups that they are most against alienating...

Perhaps this was a concession in the elimination of the gratuity from the dining plan to the unions....guaranteeing certain tip amount somewhere else...

Though disney unions have no power and they really don't need to yield concessions to them.

davidrea
01-16-2008, 11:03 AM
First :welcome: to Intercot!! You will find a ton if info here. Ask lots of questions and check out Info Central (tab at top) for almost anything you could need. That said, since you are going in April, the first thing I would do is check out some menus and make your ADRs asap! Many places will book up (since it will be spring break time) and you can't count on just walking up(even at lunch,but especially for dinners and character breakfasts) There is also a dining plan calculator in Info Central that can help you decide if the Dining Plan is good for you. Run the numbers and see how it shakes out. Again, WELCOME ABOARD!!!!

Thanks so much for the welcome. I've been all over this place and hadn't been to info central. On what you said on april. Keep in mind we are gonig the last week of April, which is after Spring Breaks - yeah! We are actually pulling kids out of school because we always go when crowds are heavy. In my research this week seems to be a great time. We can tell from the flight costs that week its a lower travel week. We just booked our rooms last night at PO-R and they still had many. i would think the moderates would be 1st to go. Anyone else confirm April 23rd to April 28th not a spring break week?

Thanks everyone - great site!

SBETigg
01-16-2008, 11:06 AM
We just booked our rooms last night at PO-R and they still had many. i would think the moderates would be 1st to go. Anyone else confirm April 23rd to April 28th not a spring break week?

Thanks everyone - great site!

I hate to break it to you, but that week is spring vacation for a large part of the Northern US. I would expect crowds to be on the moderate-high end, but probably still managable with a good plan in place. Welcome, and enjoy!

davidrea
01-16-2008, 11:07 AM
Forgot to mention. We were talked into the food plan when we bought our tickets. Me being a financial guy I will be sure to check to see how much of a good deal this plan hopefully is. The bummer thing is we are staying 5 nights, but we will be there six days and they made us pay for that extra day. However, we plan to use the extra big dinner for a character breakfast, but I'll be sure to post back my findings. Anyone else already been and worked though the math. LOL :mickey:

davidrea
01-16-2008, 11:11 AM
We just booked our rooms last night at PO-R and they still had many. i would think the moderates would be 1st to go. Anyone else confirm April 23rd to April 28th not a spring break week?

I hate to break it to you, but that week is spring vacation for a large part of the Northern US. I would expect crowds.

Got this from this site on good times to go: "A GOOD TIME TO GO End of April" - This same as the book guide we bought!

The 08 disney guide was wrong then. It Said that time was ave crowds - should have come here 1st. I'm hopful being there over two different weeks maybe we'll get a day or two not packed because the 23-28th is Wed to the following Mon. Maybe the 28th break is over and we can do Magic Kingdom that day. Any other info would be great. thanks

SBETigg
01-16-2008, 11:25 AM
Man, that 08 disney guide was wrong then. It Said that time was ave crowds - should have come here 1st. I'm hopful being there over two different weeks maybe we'll get a day or two not packed because the 23-28th is Wed to the following Mon. Maybe the 28th break is over and we can do Magic Kingdom that day. Any other info would be great. thanks

Crowds should start going down over the weekend as people prepare to head back to work and school, yes-- though Monday is usually a busy day at the MK, too. But even with a lot of schools on break then, that's a staggered break time across the country so it won't be everyone at once and it should be okay. The guide books (and even this site) generalize and don't always take into account that not every school system breaks for the Easter week (which is generally very crowded).

lockedoutlogic
01-16-2008, 01:44 PM
The "upper" northeast does the spring break thing in the end of april.....

The "lower" northeast (i.e. From New York City south) does it the week before or week after Easter...with is march 23rd

Many other places don't do a spring break...instead giving the kiddies 3 whole months off in the summer

Not all things are handled the same way:mickey:

davidrea
01-16-2008, 02:22 PM
That sounds right! At this point Disney is probably always somewhat busy. We were just tryijng to not have it crazy busy due to having 3 kids and one 2.5 yrs old. WE will have the planning done so it shouldn't be too bad. thanks all.

vamaggie
01-16-2008, 04:55 PM
Forgot to mention. We were talked into the food plan when we bought our tickets. Me being a financial guy I will be sure to check to see how much of a good deal this plan hopefully is. The bummer thing is we are staying 5 nights, but we will be there six days and they made us pay for that extra day. However, we plan to use the extra big dinner for a character breakfast, but I'll be sure to post back my findings. Anyone else already been and worked though the math. LOL :mickey:

I am confused. The Dining Plan should be tied to the number of nights you are staying and not to the days. You should not have to "pay extra' for a 6th day. We also went for 5 nights and 6 days and had the dining plan for 5 nights. The Dining Plan credits are good til midnight on your day of check out and you can use them however you want (don't have to do 1TS/CS/snack each day)--we ended up with like 9 snacks on out checkout day. Still eating those Mickey graham crackers! We ate mostly TS for dinners and came out about $500 ahead using the plan (but app & tip were included then) We were 2 adults, DS10 & DD4. Before we went I did "rough math" using the menus on INfoCentral and kept all my receipts and did the real math when we got back

Ian
01-16-2008, 05:53 PM
To allow the customer to be led into spend more disposable cash on merchandise (huge profit margin) after they had long since prepaid for the rest of the trip.That's one of the reasons I find this decision sort of odd. I have no trouble believing they saw a downturn in F&B profits, but I would think they would have seen a corresponding increase in revenue in other areas.

Of course, if they're like most bean counters, they don't have the vision to link the increase in revenue in one area with the decrease in another area. They probably figure they can boost the revenue in F&B with the changes to the dining plan and have no clue that it's going to cause profits in another area to fall.

Executives are so brainless these days it's almost scary.

Got this from this site on good times to go: "A GOOD TIME TO GO End of April" - This same as the book guide we bought! Just FYI, Easter is early this year (late March) which may impact when Spring Breaks are. Most schools tend to do it near Easter, so it wouldn't shock me if the guide book was more right than you might thing.

tinksmom02
01-16-2008, 10:29 PM
Just FYI, Easter is early this year (late March) which may impact when Spring Breaks are. Most schools tend to do it near Easter, so it wouldn't shock me if the guide book was more right than you might thing.

Actually, the schools around me in NJ are off that last week of April (21st, I think). Poor DD5 doesn't even get off for Easter Monday...

Sorry, I know it's off-topic.

steveknj
01-17-2008, 02:55 PM
That's one of the reasons I find this decision sort of odd. I have no trouble believing they saw a downturn in F&B profits, but I would think they would have seen a corresponding increase in revenue in other areas.

Of course, if they're like most bean counters, they don't have the vision to link the increase in revenue in one area with the decrease in another area. They probably figure they can boost the revenue in F&B with the changes to the dining plan and have no clue that it's going to cause profits in another area to fall.

Executives are so brainless these days it's almost scary.

Just FYI, Easter is early this year (late March) which may impact when Spring Breaks are. Most schools tend to do it near Easter, so it wouldn't shock me if the guide book was more right than you might thing.

If they are like most large Corps, I'm sure F&B is a different Line of Business than the Stores, and like many large Corps, they are almost treated like seperate companies with their own expenses and budgets. So, while the Stores saw a rise in profits, that was good for their area, but F&B sees a decrease, is forced to cut staff, lose budget $$ and so forth, so F&B as a seperate LOB, does what it needs to do to make those profits go up, and doesn't care what happens to the Stores. It's unfortunate that this is the way many Corps are run these days, like a bunch of smaller seperate entities.

davidrea
01-17-2008, 04:31 PM
I am confused. The Dining Plan should be tied to the number of nights you are staying and not to the days. You should not have to "pay extra' for a 6th day. We also went for 5 nights and 6 days and had the dining plan for 5 nights. The Dining Plan credits are good til midnight on your day of check out and you can use them however you want (don't have to do 1TS/CS/snack each day)--we ended up with like 9 snacks on out checkout day. Still eating those Mickey graham crackers! We ate mostly TS for dinners and came out about $500 ahead using the plan (but app & tip were included then) We were 2 adults, DS10 & DD4. Before we went I did "rough math" using the menus on INfoCentral and kept all my receipts and did the real math when we got back

sorry. I was mistaken. We are staying six nights, but only 5 days in the park. I confused myself because we won't be there much the 1st day. You are right and this is why we will have extra meals, etc. we have to use.

princessesmom
01-17-2008, 07:24 PM
The NYC metro area usually does spring break the week before Easter. However, because Easter is so early this year they are doing a long weekend break, instead. Spring break is the last full week in April. So, my guess is that it will be more crowded than usual that week, but probably not as bad as Easter week.

dolphinmickey9170
01-17-2008, 08:49 PM
Not surprising that it was Disney's idea and it is very easy for them to blame the union in a right to work state. Amy, I do have one question, though. When you ordered something extra with your meal which would require you to receive a bill, could you just leave the tip on that check? Example: My sister and I usually order vegetable sides when we eat at Le Cellier as well as a glass of wine. We use the Dining Plan. At the end of the meal we should receive 2 checks, one for the Dining Plan and one for the alcohol and side dishes. We would put a tip for these items and any additional tip we wanted to leave if we had very good service on the second bill. Can we still do that without telling the amount to the server? I would just write the amount on the 2nd slip in the past.

This worked very well for us too. We ordered a couple of beverages not included in the DP and then put a tip for those beverages plus an extra tip when necessary. We will do this again in May and August. No carrying extra cash with us. Just our pin lanyards with the zip pouch with our room keys inside. So much more convenient than carrying money that could fall out of your pocket.

I'm really surprised that it was so inconvenient to tip. With the old plan, we almost always left extra tip and just included it with the extra items we ordered on the room charge, which they ran at the same time as the DP charges and they never had to make two trips (much like Christine mentions in her response). I guess if you didn't order any extras and everything was covered by DP that it would be slightly more inconvenient to charge it to the room, but I can't imagine it would be that awkward.

The server will just have to make two trips for me if I don't order an adult beverage. I would feel awkward telling the server what to charge me for a tip.

David

As for being worth the money; I suggest looking at the menus here on info central and comparing the prices of foods you would order, plus the amount of a counter service meal and your snack. If those total more than the daily price of $38 for the DDP, than yes, it is worth the money. If you can't seem to purchase items that are more and it comes out to be less per day than the dining plan, I would just wing it and pay OOP for each meal. Have a great time and WELCOME to Intercot. You are gonna love it here.

lockedoutlogic
01-17-2008, 11:10 PM
Actually, the schools around me in NJ are off that last week of April (21st, I think). Poor DD5 doesn't even get off for Easter Monday...

Sorry, I know it's off-topic.

School breaks in your state tend to be linked to the demographics of the district

i.e. Large Jewish population (usually in the teachers as much as the students) usually equals a consistent late April week off....

Predominantly Roman Catholic equals a tie to before or after the Easter Holiday

It varies