PDA

View Full Version : Tony Dungy- Updated 1/21

JerseyMouse
01-14-2008, 10:39 AM
Reports are he may be stepping down. While it will be a sad day for the NFL, you have to admire the man. He puts family above all else, and his faith is such that if he does step down, it'll be for good.

If you want to read a great book, read his book "Quiet Strength"...it's not so much an autobiography as it is a revealing look at how to prioritze the truly important things in life.

Donald A
01-14-2008, 11:22 AM
It is hard to say for sure if he will step down. I believe he will do as he says about making the decision and discuss the situation with his wife and pray about it. His 16 year old son is going to school in Tampa now and had been going to school here in Indy so that may be a sign. Either way, he is quite an inspiration and a wonderful man of faith.

Ian
01-14-2008, 11:41 AM
The NFL would be a little less classy if Dungy retires. I have a lot of respect for him and hope he decides to stick around.

Honestly, I think he's just down in the mouth right now. I really think they believed they were good enough to get it done, even though it was pretty clear to me that they were only a shadow of the team they were last year. Not having a healthy Harrison really hurt them and I do think they missed Dominick Rhodes more than they'd admit, too.

I think, once he wraps his head around what happened and gets over his disappointment, he'll be back. How can you retire from coaching Peyton Manning??

FlaTinkRAMESAM
01-14-2008, 12:06 PM
I just have to say that he is one of the sweetest most genuine men I have ever met. He has such an astounding faith and belief that is so powerful. We used to go to church at Idlewild and met him a few times. It was such an honor. Whatever he decides to do will be the right decision.

Hammer
01-14-2008, 12:13 PM
Per everything I read, the kids were going to goback to going to school in Tampa, regardless of how this postseason turned out. This has been in the works for a while now. They still own there house in North Tampa (it is around the corner from one of my cousins).

If he does retire, yesterday's game won't play into it. He has always said he would walk away when he was around 50. He's 51 now. Whenever he does leave, the NFL will lose the classiest coach around.

GothMickey
01-14-2008, 12:35 PM
Dungy is a world class man. I think he will retire. How about Bill Cowher coming out of retirement to coach the Colts?

LauraleeH
01-14-2008, 12:45 PM
I think, once he wraps his head around what happened and gets over his disappointment, he'll be back. How can you retire from coaching Peyton Manning??
From what I've heard, Manning is just about ready to retire, too.

As someone who has already made the decision that her future family will always come first, I respect and admire his decision...if he retires. But the NFL will not be the same, by any means.

JerseyMouse
01-14-2008, 02:53 PM
Where did you hear about Manning retiring?? Had he won the Bowl...I could see a tiny glimmer of a possibility. Unless there's something under the surface, no way Peyton goes out like this.

sillyolbear
01-14-2008, 04:27 PM
The NFL would certainly be the poorer if Dungy did retire. With all the mess that tends to accompany professional sports, it is nice to have someone with his character play a prominent role in such a major sport.

Here's hoping he decides to stay.

LauraleeH
01-14-2008, 05:12 PM
Where did you hear about Manning retiring?? Had he won the Bowl...I could see a tiny glimmer of a possibility. Unless there's something under the surface, no way Peyton goes out like this.
I'm pretty sure he was quoted saying when Dungy retires, he is also going to retire. One reason is his age, but the biggest reason is because Dungy is "his" coach and he will never have another coach again. Dungy is his coach, and the Colts is his team.
That could be totally be a rumor, but I'm pretty sure that came from Manning.

Hammer
01-22-2008, 12:11 AM
Dungy to coach Colts at least one more season

Associated Press

Updated: January 21, 2008, 11:04 PM ET

INDIANAPOLIS -- Tony Dungy is sticking with the Colts.

The team said Monday that Dungy will remain with Indianapolis through at least the 2008 season before turning over the coaching to hand-picked successor Jim Caldwell.

Dungy, the first black coach to win a Super Bowl, spent a week meeting with his family, close friends and trusted colleagues while deciding whether to return for a seventh season with the Colts.

"It was a family decision," Dungy said. "We're on board, and we look forward to '08, look forward to putting together a winner."

Team owner Jim Irsay said Dungy would stay at least one year and could stay longer.

"This isn't a victory lap for Tony," Irsay said.

It's the third straight year Dungy seriously considered retiring.

The debate focused on Dungy's desire to balance family and football, especially after his family moved back to Tampa earlier this month. His 16-year-old son Eric now attends high school there, and Irsay's willingness to let Dungy spend more time in Florida was a factor in the decision.

Irsay has said Dungy could spend Friday nights there watching his son's football games, but insisted the Colts job would be more than a part-time gig for Dungy.

Dungy said he decided he could give coaching and his family life the "passion" both deserved.

"I wouldn't shortchange my family," he said. "I wouldn't come back if my wife or my children were not for it."

Team president Bill Polian said the 53-year-old Caldwell would be named associate head coach.

Winning Ways
Tony Dungy has the second-highest winning percentage for coaches with one team (minimum 50 games with that team):

Name/Team W-L Pct.
George Seifert, 49ers 98-30 .766
Tony Dungy, Colts 73-23 .760
Don Shula, Colts 71-23-4 .755
Vince Lombardi, Packers 89-29-4 .754
Note: Prior to 1972, tie games were not included in winning percentage.

Caldwell has spent the last seven seasons as Dungy's assistant, one year in Tampa Bay and the last six with the Colts. Over the past year, Caldwell has become a regular on the interview circuit over the past year, meeting with the Atlanta Falcons, Baltimore Ravens this month and the Arizona Cardinals last year about their vacancies.

Dungy's 80 wins in Indianapolis, including the playoffs, are a franchise record, and he ranks fifth in victories among those who coached in 2007 with 136 career wins, which also include playoffs. He enters next season tied for 19th in career wins with Hank Stram.

The Colts season ended with a 28-24 loss to San Diego in last week's AFC divisional playoff.

Before joining Indy, Dungy spent six seasons at Tampa Bay, becoming that team's career-victory leader (54) while turning around one of the league's worst franchises. Dungy led the Bucs to four playoff appearances and the 1999 NFC championship game.

For Dungy, life has always been about more than football. He became a fan favorite in Indy and Tampa, where he was arguably more popular after he left than when he was there.

But it isn't just the fans who like him.

"We love coach Dungy," NFL defensive player of the year Bob Sanders said last week. "We'll let him make the decision, then we'll know and then we'll go from there. But we love him around here."

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

Melanie
01-22-2008, 12:21 AM
I'm glad to hear Dungy is staying, but Jim Caldwell is a class act as well.

sillyolbear
01-22-2008, 09:42 AM
I'm glad to hear Dungy is staying, but Jim Caldwell is a class act as well.

It is good to hear Dungy is staying.

Jim Caldwell is a tremendous guy. He is a former head coach at Wake Forest who had some success at a tough place to coach college football. Caldwell instilled discipline at Wake and in many ways laid the ground work for what Jim Grobe has been able to do there now. He has really found his niche in the NFL and Peyton Manning credits him with helping develop his game.

Glad to see good things happening for both Dungy and Caldwell.

Melanie
01-22-2008, 04:43 PM
Jim Caldwell is a tremendous guy. He is a former head coach at Wake Forest who had some success at a tough place to coach college football. Caldwell instilled discipline at Wake and in many ways laid the ground work for what Jim Grobe has been able to do there now. He has really found his niche in the NFL and Peyton Manning credits him with helping develop his game.

:thumbsup:

murphy1
01-23-2008, 11:36 AM
Most everyone in Florida has a really high opinion of him. His son is getting into one of the best school in the country in Tampa b/c of his dad, but he is a good football player. (I wish USF could get him when he graduates, maybe his dad could be coaxed to coach college:D)

JerseyMouse
01-23-2008, 03:47 PM
A good day for the NFL. The league sorely needs more people like Tony Dungy in it, although his departure may have weakened the Colts enough for the Jags to take the division next year..;)