PDA

View Full Version : Polynesian Info Please

JCDarzi
01-13-2008, 11:34 PM
My mom has surprised me with a Disney trip for me and my kids, DD4 and DS2. We are also bringing along my niece 11. My mom thought a monorail hotel would be more convenient and asked me to plan a trip for my niece's Spring Break. :party:

I didn't realize that springbreak for us would fall the week before Easter. We now have a trip booked for March 16 through March 20. I have been told that the crowds will be at peak. Yikes. I am very nervous about this as the trip planner...we have always stayed in value resorts during September...low crowds. Will we be ok if we stick to the "be there first thing in the morning" plan? Or will the crowds make it a slow go the entire trip?

We are booked at the Polynesian. I am very excited about this because we have never stayed at a deluxe. I've noticed that the bus area is much smaller than All Stars or Pop. When we've visited the Polynesian to eat, we have never seen anyone even waiting at the bus stops. Are they crowded in the mornings? How is the bus service to AK and Disney Studios? Do you have to wait long?

Is there anything at the Polynesian that we shouldn't miss? Are the pools heated or will it be too cool to swim in March?

Sunshine1010
01-14-2008, 01:03 AM
Staying at the Poly will make it easier going to the Magic Kingdom or Epcot.

Yes...go FIRST thing in the morning because it will be CROWDED. If you go first thing in the morning, you'll get to ride more rides. But just remember....during the afternoon when it's busy doesn't mean it's just busy at the rides. There will be unbelievable crowds in everything ---- rides, lines for food, lines for snacks, bus lines, etc...... Even walking will be harder.

Fastpasses may run out around 11am on some things.

Good luck.

Regardless --- have a good time. I've been during peak times and during slow times. ....and I always have a good time.

vamaggie
01-14-2008, 07:59 AM
You will love the Poly! We stayed there in Nov. The pools are heated so unless it is really a cold spell you should be able to swim in March. Crowds will probably be crazy huge but if you know this going in you can plan accordingly. Definately plan to get to the parks at opening and do the rides you really want to first. If the kids (and/or you) find the crowds too crazy plan to go back and hang at the resort. We found the Poly to be great to just hang out at. The kids loved the pools and also just walking around the resort. With 2 little ones afternoon naps will probably make it easier to go back to the resort for a forced break--definately take advantage of this. We had a car so did not use the buses to AK & MGM but we never really saw any lines waiting for buses (only a few folks) but the buses seemed to come fairly often. Have a great trip!!

PetefromRI
01-14-2008, 08:52 AM
This is one of the main reasons we love staying on site.When it gets crowded we just head back to the resort and kick back.The Poly IMHO is the best of the best,just a short monorail ride back from the MK.Have Fun!!!

Quasimodo
01-14-2008, 09:42 AM
As others have said, go early. Make use of the Extra Magic Hours. That is your best bet to avoid crowds.

For more info on the Poly check out Intercot's section on the Poly here:
http://www.intercot.com/resorts/disney/polynesian/default.asp

FromKnoxvilleto Disney
01-14-2008, 03:13 PM
I know this sounds crazy but we have gone twice during spring break and it wasn't that bad. If you get anywhere near a big ticket ride after lunch you can forget it. Go early do thrill rides and move on. Believe it or not we saw alot of college and high school kids which of course were riding nothing but thrill rides. We rarely stood more that 20-30 minutes for anything else. Use fast passes wisely and you will be fine. Have a great time the weather has been perfect both of our spring break trips!

RaRaRoundTheWorld
01-14-2008, 04:49 PM
Book a dinner at Ohana's before Wishes (usually around 8, but check the park schedule for your week), and request a window seat. The entire narration is pumped in as you watch. This will be followed by the Water Pageant, usually a little after 9, but this is also variable depending upon the week.
If you're there on a Saturday morning, try the Hula lessons in the main building.
There are variable resort activities, a schedule of which you will be given when you check in.

jennsky
01-14-2008, 08:14 PM
I don't wanna freak you out, but I was there last year during the week leading up to Easter, and it was the BUSIEST I've ever seen it...and that's coming from someone who's been there A LOT!!!! Just make the best of it and be ready to be patient. And make sure you visit Fantasyland first thing in the morning. It was insanity back there in the afternoons. Totally claustrophobic. But, the bottom line is, a trip to Disney is better than no trip to Disney. Enjoy!! :mickey:

GrandFlo
01-14-2008, 08:58 PM
You will love the Poly. The Ohana breakfast is really good. Also, you can walk from the Poly to the GF and from the Poly to the TTC where I think there are buses too. We stay at the GF and I think they share some busses to AK and Disney Studios. The buses are pretty good from what I remember.

The pool is heated and I'm pretty sure it is open 24 hours like the GF main pool.

As for the crowds, don't worry about it too much. DS is now 10 and it's getting harder to take him out of school for long periods of time, so we now go during the "crowded" times. I have to say, it really isn't that bad. Just plan your day and your fastpasses and you will be fine.

Have a great time! :mickey:

Polynesian Dweller
01-14-2008, 09:47 PM
The Poly is a great place and you'll really enjoy it. In addition to the monorail, you can take the resort launch to MK, a fun way to do that and convenient, and its a short 5-7 minute walk to the TTC where you can take the monnorail to Epcot or the ferry to MK.

The buses are fine and there is a bus stop and shelter in Front of the Tangora terrace building.

Make sure you see the Electric Water Pageant at about 9:00pm every night and Wishes from the beach, terrific viewing and treat yourself to Tonga Toast in the morning, you won't regret it. Have a great time:mickey:

BABB
01-17-2008, 07:15 PM
I feel your pain - I'm also going for spring break, arriving on March 23..I've never been to Disney before, so maybe I won't notice the crowds so much :blush: at least that is what I keep telling myself. We'll also be staying at the Poly, which will probably make it all worth while..Hope you have a great trip...

luvourtwo
01-17-2008, 11:01 PM
Don't be late for the electric parade, it is very short.

We were at the Poly during a cold spell in December. On the warmest day of our visit, our kids went swimming in the volcano pool. It was about 65 degrees, and I thought the water was still pretty chilly. We stayed at hotels outside of the resort during our stay, and even in similar temps, the pools at the other hotels were much warmer.

According to a guidebook I purchased, driving your personal vehicle to MGM and AK is faster (even with parking lot/tram time) than the busses from the Poly. If you have your own vehicle available, you might consider this.

Have a great time!