PDA

View Full Version : SW and a less then 2 yo

dolphinmickey9170
01-13-2008, 08:04 PM
Has anyone flown with SW lately since they have changed their boarding? I will be flying with my DGD, who won't be two until 9/30. The rules states that she may sit in a lap for the flight and fly free. However, is she still allowed the same two pieces of luggage and one carry one as the rest of us? How does the seat belt work with a baby? Please tell me your experiences past and way past as well.

TIA:mickey:

BigRedDad
01-14-2008, 01:46 AM
I don't think she is permitted the same luggage permissions. I think it is part of the ticketed person's luggage. As for seat belts, it would be the same as if you were riding with her in the lap of your car. If there is a need for the seat belt (sudden drop in altitutde), you would be putting the weight of yourself on your DGD instead of the seat belt (assumes she is under the seat belt with you). This would most likely crush her and cause severe internal injury.

In my opinion, it is always best to purchase a separate seat for an infant. This way you can have them in their car seat for the most safety. It may cost more, but is that cost difference worth the risk?

MicMouse
01-14-2008, 09:17 AM
Last April we flew SW to Las Vegas from Chicago with my almost two year old twins and 5 year old son.

We did not purchase seats for the twins and intended to just have them sit on our laps. The plane was NOT full (on the way there and back), so everyone ended up with their own seat. I know that you cannot bank on that happening on your flights, and I think that we just got lucky.

If I had to do it again, I would have purchased each of the twins their own seat. We did not have car seats for them to sit in (even though we checked them in w/ our luggage), but it would have been so much easier. They were constantly up and down pretty much the entire flight.

I don't know how it will be with their new boarding policies. We were able to pre-board, so if we did have car seats, we would have had plenty of time to install them and get them settled. Now that they have discontinued pre-boarding families, I don't know how that will work for you.

Good luck and enjoy your trip!!

vamaggie
01-14-2008, 12:50 PM
An infant sitting on your lap does not get any luggage--she is considered part of your seat so you get the the 2 checked pieces and 1 carry on for the 2 of you. If you can afford the seat for her (some carriers discount them for kids <2) definately get it. It is much safer for infants to be in a car seat in their own seat on the plane. If getting a seat for her is not an option you would need to keep her on your lap for the entire flight. For take off and landing (and any time the fasten seat belt light is on) you will need to have the seat belt around your waist--your DGD is just held by you, she is not bucked in at all. She should NOT be put under the belt with you!!!

mickey&missy
01-14-2008, 01:10 PM
I'm almost positive that if you don't purchase a ticket for her she doesn't get the 2 pieces and a carry-on. We're flying SW with then 9 month old DS in March. I went back and forth about getting him a seat. But, then I took the advice I got here and bought him a seat. I'm so affraid of him getting hurt if there turbulence or something. We'll be taking his car seat and strapping it into the seat and letting him sit happily (hopefully) in his own comfy place for the 2 and a half hour flight.

Just an FYI, SW offers "infant fares" I called SW to look into it. It was a lot more money then the internet fares! So, if you decide to get her a see if you can get a good internet fare and skip the infant fare.

Good luck!!

Taja
01-14-2008, 03:59 PM
We flew with a 14-week-old in December. His mother elected not to purchase a seat, since he could not sit up yet, anyway. Our outbound flight was sardine city, return slightly better.

I was told we could check his carseat and stroller and they would not be counted as luggage. However, he could not have his own "luggage," checked or carry-on. But all fare-paying (or rewards) passengers could check a maximum of 3 bags and carry on one bag and personal item. This was more than adequate for mother, son and 9-year-old big sister. In fact, they used one 24" checked bag, a small carry-on and the backpack/diaper bag for the three of them!

They were able to board between the A and B groups--I got hung up at work and didn't check us in until about 24 hours minus 6 hours. *eek* I boarded in the B group, and was able to sit directly behind them.

kakn7294
01-14-2008, 06:11 PM
Kristen, if you decided to not purchase a seat for Keara, you can put a purse or fanny pack inside either her diaper bag or another carry-on bag and then it doesn't count against your limits. However, I think her stroller will count towards your luggage totals, even if you gate check it (which I highly recommend!). I believe that she won't be able to have her own luggage and carry-on since she's not a ticketed passenger. As far as her sitting on someone's lap, when Steph was 13 mo old, we flew and she sat on our laps. What we did to keep her "restrained" was use a harness that was intended to keep kids buckled into a shopping cart seat and fastened that through either my or Phil's seatbelt. If you do purchase her a ticket, you don't have to purchase the infant's fare. You can purchase her whatever is the cheapest fare - usually the internet rate. I also don't think you have to use a carseat if you purchase her a ticket as long as she will sit in her seat with the regular seatbelt on. You will need her birth certificate at the security checkpoint if she's traveling unticketed - and I would still take it even if she has a ticket - I always take our girls' birth certificates with us. Of course, I haven't flow SW with a child under 2 and not since they made these changes so I don't know for sure.