PDA

View Full Version : Everything is full?

MonoMan
01-13-2008, 05:09 PM
We travel to WDW at the same time each year. In the past we have been able to eat where we want without any problems. We only had to make ADRs for V&A, Chef Mickeys and California Grill. This year we decided to make more ADRs because we are traveling with a preschooler - we have been told that many places are totally booked during our stay (31 Jan - 7 Feb). I asked the agent if the dining plan was impacting the availability, she told me that WDW has not had an off-season in several years. Do you think it is possible that people are making multiple ADRs and then canceling what they don't need on a daily basis?

SBETigg
01-13-2008, 05:28 PM
It's a slim possibility but the system is designed to boot multiple reservations for the same time frame per traveling party. I'm sure there are ways around it, but it's more likely that the dining plan has table service restaurants more popular than ever and things booking up much further in advance than in previous years.

If you've been on INTERCOT for a while with frequency, you might not be surprised to find things full. There are multiple threads on the importance of booking ADRs early, as early as 180 days out for the more popular eateries at the most desirable dining times, and sadly, of stories from fellow travelers who had trouble booking on short notice. But don't lose hope. If you're willing to eat at odd times and call back often looking for cancellations, you may find some of things that are booked now could open up for you. Best wishes.

MickeyChick
01-13-2008, 06:35 PM
WE are going the week before you and we had no problem getting every ADR we wanted, but I think the week you're going is the cheerleading competition, that could be why you're having problems.

MonoMan
01-13-2008, 06:36 PM
We’ve been Intercot followers for quite a while and we always have stressed the importance of ADRs to our friends/relatives when they are planning their trip.
This is truly the first time we’ve had trouble at this time of year. We have been able to get a few ADRs – Chef Mickey’s (which we did book in advance) and most recently Artist Point and Le Celliar.
We are going to try to make a few more just in case the resorts and parks turn out to be a lot more crowded than we’ve become accustom too. I still wonder if people are avoiding the checks and balances of the ADR system by using cell numbers ect for duplicate ADRs.
And the no walk up policy is different than I recall in the past.

ChrisF
01-13-2008, 09:32 PM
I will be going a week later then you Monoman.
I am going with a few couples, but I am solo, I know that the MK breakfast with the Princess are booked, the couple with 2 DDs got the last table. They also booked Chief Mickey's sort of late.
I plan on grazing my way through vacation and I eat at odd hours, so food may not be a problem for me. I'll have the ADR phone # in my cell phone in case I get the urge for a table service meal, and take my chances.
I really think the DDP has put a strain on the system, and the boards like this and others have put people in a panic to schedule those dinners ahead. I wonder how many people just don't show???:hide2:

rubato
01-14-2008, 09:05 AM
We'll be there at the same time. I didn't make any ADRs until about 3 weeks ago. On 3 of my dinners, I got the very last table. I've changed a couple of my reservations, so to whomever called right after me, a table did open up. So, there is hope. And, I agree about just eating at odd times, if you can! No matter what, I'm sure you'll have a fantastic trip!

TBY2225
01-14-2008, 10:25 AM
You can always call the day of and see if something has become available. I see lots of people here on Intercot saying that is a way to go. Also, you could try some walk ups. We went during free dining in September and almost all the resturants we went to were taking walk up with 30-45 min waits. You might want to try the resort locations like Ohana, Kona, Boma, Whispering Canyon just to name a few!

Disneyatic
01-14-2008, 11:46 AM
I just read a post on another thread in the dining forum where the poster said that they make multiple ADR's for the same day for trips that they MAY take. Just in case.......:confused:

If this is happening, then the system is far from foolproof and I am sure that the ADRs get bogged down with reservations that may or may not get used.
Very frustrating but it highlights the need to plan as early as possible.
I am a planner and love to do that, but I can definitely see how it is more difficult for others.

Good luck getting the ADRs you want. With the few you listed that you did secure, they are great choices so that is a plus!

dteed
01-14-2008, 01:13 PM
It is also Mardi Gras week, you will get quite a few from the New Orleans area there including myself. We only booked three dinners Yachtsman, Artists Point and Boma. We eat late 8p.m. and usually just wing it for lunch. Hard to believe everything is booked, but it won't be as light a crowd as it has been in the past. DDP certainly has an effect on the TS restraunts.

May524
01-14-2008, 01:24 PM
Like the poster above me stated, it is Mardi Gras week. When I did my college program, it seemed EVERY family I checked it was from my hometown. It's very full of New Orleans family during mardi gras week, due to most of the school's being closed. You'll see tons of purple, green and gold (for mardi gras and LSU). The ADR's you do have are great choices, maybe branch out to some new places?

SignguyTom
01-14-2008, 01:57 PM
I just read a post on another thread in the dining forum where the poster said that they make multiple ADR's for the same day for trips that they MAY take. Just in case.......:confused:

I wonder if this person is willing to pay for a long distance phone call to cancel them if it turns out they can't go? Although technically "within the rules," I find this to be a blatent, selfish and arrogant abuse of the system.

I have 2 ADRs made for LeCellier for our upcoming trip. The first is for the day we arrive, and the second one is in the middle of our trip. I made the second one in case we have flight trouble and miss the first one (my mom REALLY wants to go there). If all goes well and we make the first one, I will cancel the second to open up the slot and find a new restaurant, probably Spoodles or Big River Grille at BW. I do not have multiple ADRs for the same time slot in case I change my mind, or want a choice depending on my mood. That's just wrong, in my opinion.

lockedoutlogic
01-14-2008, 02:12 PM
The suggestion that Disney has a dining system that "sniffs" out multiple bookings is somewhat inaccurate....

They have apparently taken steps to question those making reservations in an effort to limit double bookings...which is a step in the right direction...but there are ways to get around it

the system can be side stepped with very little thought.....

And even though on boards such as this it's downplayed....many, many people book several ressies for each meal period...in an attempt to add "planned flexibility"

This may be harsh...but that practice is inappropriate and downright rude....denying people a chance to preserve a need for wishy-washy behavior.

One of the worst things about this latest era of "disney boom" is the dining plan and the restructuring of the reservations system to book the restaurants solid....it has killed a nice chunk of the casual atmosphere...and makes the trips sometimes less enjoyable to many......

SignguyTom
01-14-2008, 02:37 PM
The suggestion that Disney has a dining system that "sniffs" out multiple bookings is somewhat inaccurate....

They have apparently taken steps to question those making reservations in an effort to limit double bookings...which is a step in the right direction...but there are ways to get around it

the system can be side stepped with very little thought.....

And even though on boards such as this it's downplayed....many, many people book several ressies for each meal period...in an attempt to add "planned flexibility"

This may be harsh...but that practice is inappropriate and downright rude....denying people a chance to preserve a need for wishy-washy behavior.

One of the worst things about this latest era of "disney boom" is the dining plan and the restructuring of the reservations system to book the restaurants solid....it has killed a nice chunk of the casual atmosphere...and makes the trips sometimes less enjoyable to many......

I move to install a $10 per person no-show fee like they have with the Fantasmic! Dinner Packages for missed ADRs. It would require a credit card at the time of the phone call and require a 24-48 hour cancellation. No charge will be made if the reservation is met.

Money talks. The system would police itself.

Disneyatic
01-14-2008, 02:58 PM
I wonder why they chose 180 days as the benchmark to begin making ADRs? Why not 30 days?

Charging a "no show" fee would probably be a big step in cutting down on the mis-use of the system. But people could still make multiple reservations and then just have to remember to cancel them a day or two before. There would still be valuable slots taken up for "just in case" ADRs.

Do you have to have a reservation number to make an ADR?

SignguyTom
01-14-2008, 03:14 PM
I wonder why they chose 180 days as the benchmark to begin making ADRs? Why not 30 days?

Charging a "no show" fee would probably be a big step in cutting down on the mis-use of the system. But people could still make multiple reservations and then just have to remember to cancel them a day or two before. There would still be valuable slots taken up for "just in case" ADRs.

Do you have to have a reservation number to make an ADR?

I'm sure it wouldn't eliminate the problem completely, but I think it would help. Having to cancel a day or two before would at least open the times up a day or two before, instead of after the fact for a no-show. I bet fewer people would abuse the system if there was a chance they'd forget the cancellation period and get charged $$$.

As far as needing a reservation number, no, you do not need one to make ADRs. Locals, day trippers and people staying off-site can make ADRs. You must stay on-site to use the DDP, though.

rj
01-20-2008, 11:20 AM
I called a couple of weeks ago for ADRs for the 1st week of Feb and the earliest sitting for Ohana was 9:20. Also no dinner reservations for Le Cellier - so we decided to try it for lunch.

Never had this much trouble before, except for CRT for breakfast of course.

All I can say is that I am glad we are not on the dining plan.

Our plans include Ohana, Le Cellier, Artist Point, Kona Cafe, Prime Time Cafe - all at off times - except for Artist Point.

We will just wing it the rest of the time.

NJ Camper
01-20-2008, 11:29 AM
we had the same problem in Nov we went thinking it was slower and won't need ADR's boy where we wrong seems unless you plan all your meal in advance you will be stuck eating counterservice all the time or have to go off property if you have a car it might be your next or only choice good luck and keep trying you never know when you could find a cancellation that works for you :mickey:

šošalyssaluvsmickeyšoš
01-20-2008, 12:19 PM
We are going the 1st week in feb.We tryed to make reservations 30 days out and had alot of problems.Even in our resort the earliest we could book whispering canyons was 8:30pm.Could not get chef mickey Le celliar Yachtmans or cal grill.I feel bad for people on the dining plan who waited longer then us.Its gonna be almost impossible to get a good restaurant that week now.we have been here alot this time of the year and never made a reservation before.Thank goodness we took the advise of our travel agent.I wonder what the problem is?Maybe they need to add some new restaurants

disneyorvegas
01-20-2008, 12:57 PM
We're going in mid february and I know it's going to be crowded, certainly during the President's weekend, but someone mentioned a "no walk-up policy"??? exactly. Is there an absolute no walk-up policy for people who are just taking a chance to see if something might be available?

NJ Camper
01-20-2008, 01:10 PM
We found this in NOV at the Fort the trailsend was filled up and they wouldn't take walk ups we had a hard time getting in anywhere with out ressies seems adr's are the only way to go or plan on eating off property or you could call out for pizza good luck and keep calling and hope for cancellations

ibrowse17
01-20-2008, 03:28 PM
I just made two ADR's for our trip in a couple of weeks with no problems, so maybe there is hope:thumbsup: