PDA

View Full Version : Resort Smells,The Nose Knows

J.T.Toad
01-13-2008, 02:00 PM
I have two DD’s and everywhere we go I try teach them to use there since of smell. Back in 2002 we started staying at the Poly. The Poly has a distinct smell, which is one of my favorites. You might think I am Crazy, a lot of people would agree with you. Correct me if I am wrong but when you walk under the Monorail platform and next to the water features you start picking it up. Once the doors open to the Great Ceremonial House you are overtaken with that unmistakable sent. When entering the GCH I say to my girls, Smell that? Now that’s the Smell of the Poly.

The Lobby of the BoardWalk is another Disney Resort with a distinct and unmistakable smell. I can’t tell you what it is but it ranks No.2 on my Favorite Walt Disney Smell List.

So the next time you visit the GCH at the Poly or the Lobby in the BoardWalk Take a really big sniff and say to the person your with, smell that now that the smell that JT was talking about.

Enjoy your Nose
Jay Thaddeus Toad

SBETigg
01-13-2008, 02:10 PM
The Poly smell is definitely unique and I love it, too. I haven't been in the Boardwalk but maybe I'll pop in next time to give it a whiff. :)

Not2Loud
01-13-2008, 02:56 PM
I would agree with that. I tend to associate things by smell as well.

FW has a great smell....fresh air (unless you are at the bus stop when it pulls away!).:number1:

LCPZA
01-13-2008, 03:35 PM
Everything at Disney has its own SMELL!!!

PEOPLE THINK I AM CRAZY:confused:

AdventurerKim
01-13-2008, 03:39 PM
Everything at Disney has its own SMELL!!!

PEOPLE THINK I AM CRAZY:confused:

:ditto:

RaRaRoundTheWorld
01-13-2008, 04:06 PM
The use of scented air or scents to create atmosphere is not crazy. It's common in Japan, and I'm sure Disney uses it too. Each area of the park and the different resorts have smells that help to create the show. My favorite is the GF.

Jobasha3000
01-13-2008, 06:37 PM
POFQ Smelled like ...something... everywhere. I have no idea what it was, but maybe it was just the smell coming off the river. Also theres the smell of getting in a plane to go to disney, which is a combination of bagels and coffee coming from dunkin donut's, jet fuel, and airport sanitization cleaner, its a very distinct smell.

ChrisF
01-13-2008, 09:51 PM
Thanks for starting this thread :thumbsup: Now I have something else to entertain my mind on my mostly solo trip :idea:

adoptionislove
01-13-2008, 10:00 PM
Ok I am sooo excited now!

We are at the Poly for Spring Break and I can't wait to "smell" it!!!

There used to be a department store in San Antonio, Texas that had it's own smell. It was called "Frost Brothers". It smelled so good.

Also, The Venetian in Vegas has it's own smell as well...sooooo nice!

DisneyorBust
01-14-2008, 08:42 AM
The unique scent that you smell when you enter the GCH at the POLY is unmistakable and signals to us that we have returned 'home'. Thanks for the thread!

#1donaldfan
01-14-2008, 09:14 AM
I agree, Disney has won the art of smell. Each park, resort, restaraunt, actually all places have their own distinct smell. I guess it's part of the magic we've grown to love.....

Diz-Knee
01-14-2008, 09:25 AM
I am weird just like you as I too associate smells and Disney. Sometimes I'll be somewhere and say it smells like Disney World! Different attractions, resorts, etc have different smells.

MicMouse
01-14-2008, 09:33 AM
The New York New York hotel in Las Vegas smells like apples (get it THE BIG APPLE).

I remember the Grand Floridian had a wonderful smell....

I'm staying at the Poly in June and can't wait to smell it!!

PS-The monorail platform in the Contemporary has a distinct smell. It smells a lot like the food court at Illinois State University's Watterson Towers. :wave:

laprana
01-14-2008, 10:06 AM
I couldn't agree more!! As soon as we get close to the GCH, we start noticing the "Poly smell" and once inside, it hits our noses full force. It's wonderful!! I have no idea what the smell is...it's just the Polynesian!

PS-The monorail platform in the Contemporary has a distinct smell. It smells a lot like the food court at Illinois State University's Watterson Towers. :wave:

Hey MicMouse! I went to ISU, too, and lived in Watterson for 3 years! Small world, huh?:thumbsup:

robemcdo
01-14-2008, 10:10 AM
Not every smell is a good one.

We noticed at several different locations, a rather pungent odour. After a lot of finger-pointing, we narrowed it down to the vegetation. Either it's giving off a terrible smell alone, or they are being sprayed with something that smells awful.

SurferStitch
01-14-2008, 10:16 AM
DH and I always remember the wonderful and distinctive smell of the Grand Flo lobby. It has the most beautiful scent of flowers from all of those gorgeous arrangements they have scattered throughout the lobby.

Every time we visit, the flower scent is the very first thing we notice.

I can smell it right now.......:cloud9:

FlaTinkRAMESAM
01-14-2008, 10:32 AM
we all go to disney to smell stuff...

the rides, resorts, and magic are just a bonus.

Marilyn Michetti
01-14-2008, 11:41 AM
The scent of the monorail is one of a kind Combined with the "whoosh" sound, it's one of my favorites.:thumbsup:

(Couldn't find a monorail icon).:(

JMTStone
01-14-2008, 12:49 PM
I love the smell of the AKL. My husband was not as into it as I was. Walking past Bomba!!!!

mickey&missy
01-14-2008, 12:59 PM
I'm just as crazy as you!

I have heightened senses of hearing,smell and sight. DH calls it freakish, my parents call it bionic. I can hear a faint wisper in the next room, smell the slightest odor (good or bad) and see from a VERY long distance away.

I've grown to associate sounds and scents with different things. AKL has a very different scent then anything I've smelled. I'm not sure what it was. But, I found it very relaxing. Burt's Bees Milk and Honey Body Lotion reminds me of it! Some of the rides have a certain odor, especially the water rides. My favorite smell is the smell of Main Street. It's the combination of popcorn, sweet stuff from the confectionary and a touch of magic!!! I've never smelled anything like it!! It's truely heaven!

jillluvsdisney
01-14-2008, 06:36 PM
We arrived for dinner at Kona , when I walked past the valet stand into the lobby, I was hit with that POLY smell. It is very distinctive. It's a tropical combinnation of flora and fauna. It instantly made me feel like I was at WDW.

Another scenet that nows reminds me of The World is the H2O hand lotion. I use it every day now and it reminds me of WL.

Hull-onian
01-14-2008, 07:11 PM
The smells of Disney are part of the magic :magic:.

diz_girl
01-15-2008, 11:15 AM
Yes, the Poly lobby smell is very distincive. I was really looking forward to that smell when I was going to stay there last year, since I hadn't stayed there since I was ten. Then my husband started sneezing on the drive down - if he sneezes once it's an anomaly, but twice he's getting a cold. When we got there the next day I couldn't smell the lobby smell and the day after we arrived I started sneezing. I caught his cold, so I couldn't smell the Poly lobby for our entire stay. I was so disappointed.

On another Disney smell note, whenever I pass by the Disney store in the mall I think that it smells like WDW. Does anyone else get that?

Mackflava99
01-15-2008, 11:43 AM
The wilderness lodge has a distinctive smell too- like a fireplace burning with a hint of pine-

its just enough that you dont notice until you walk outsde and come back.

TinkerbellT421
01-15-2008, 02:33 PM
It is soooo funny to me that this thread was started, me and my DBF, have said the second we have walked onto Disney property, we can smell it, we are finally here. We always say that until you can smell it, your not there yet lol.

crazeedizneefinatic
01-15-2008, 02:44 PM
I must agree, I do love all the smells of Disney. This past trip though the familiar smell of the Monorail (musty airconditioning smell) was less than magical. The cars to me smelled of old socks. I actually dreaded getting on them. I can remember enjoying the smell of the Monorail and can even recall the car airconditioning smelling like it from time to time, but this last trip ruined me. Anyone else notice the difference, or was it just me?

BouncingTigger
01-15-2008, 06:43 PM
I totally agree with Robemcdo - not every smell is a good one! We were just at ASMo and several days (especially mornings) it STUNK in the area between the pool and arcade/hall/food court. It was really gross - poop or fertilizer or sewage or something. Thankfully we couldn't smell it inside the food court. Maybe it does have something to do with the vegetation, because there were lots of bushes and stuff by the smelly area.