PDA

View Full Version : CM's and Cell Phones

goofyskier
01-12-2008, 11:57 PM
We just finished up ten days in the World and overall had a very good experiance. The only complaint I have is the number of CM's using cell phones while loading, un-loading, and operating attractions. I am sure there is a company policy regarding cell phones in the work place but, it just seemed like individuals were ignoring the policy. Is this something the has become more and more prevelant at WDW or am I just being really pickey about the overall quality of the CM's?

TheRustyScupper
01-13-2008, 01:37 AM
1) Iger (aka. Ogre) just made $27.7-million.
2) He doesn't care much for WDW guests or CM's.
3) I think we can cut $7.54/hr CM's a little slack.

NOTE: I am not trying to excuse CM's behavior, but motivation is hard when you see the CEO making more than 1700 times their pay.

Grizz16
01-13-2008, 01:55 AM
Are you sure it was a personal conversation? They may have been communicating with a co-worker.

Main Street Jim
01-13-2008, 07:18 AM
Most, if not all, attractions have a Nextel radio located at load/unload, along with a house phone, in order to be able to contact managers and/or coordinators if needed.

There is indeed a "No cell phones on stage" policy in place for all (costumed) Cast Members.

DisFan01
01-13-2008, 09:10 AM
I have never seen a CM on a cell phone before EVER. That's really bad unless it's an emergency or something.

dteed
01-13-2008, 09:29 AM
Never seen that happen.

drummerboy
01-13-2008, 10:10 AM
My guess would be that they are being used for work-related communications, as a substitute for walkie-talkies. I've seen retail clerks, etc. using them while they 'wait' on customers though and it can be extremely aggrevating.

DizneyRox
01-13-2008, 10:18 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if they got rid of the normal walkie talkies after many of the deaths, etc. People use scanners in the parks, picking up possibly condemning conversations by ill trained CMs can put Disney in a bad situation for a lawsuit. Cell phones are tougher to listen in on therefore less of a liability.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
01-13-2008, 10:42 AM
Oh I can say I've seen CM's onstage using a cellphone and out of their area.

I was at the Emporium (then again, when am I not) and I saw one of the Dapper Dans just walking through the store on their cell, asking their wife what they wanted to pick up.

I wanted to rip the phone out of his hand and smash it into pieces. One, it's against policy. Two, there were no cell phones in 1907. Three, he's on stage and a performer! Four, it was rude and annoying and I complained to my leaders (who went and reported it to Entertainment).

My cell phone is quite happy in my car while I'm at work. There is no need for me to have it on me because even if there is an emergency, there is nothing I can do about it until I get off anyways.

goofyskier
01-13-2008, 11:20 AM
The individuals that I observed were not talking on their phones they appeared to be texting. I am not in the habit of cutting castmembers slack when a cost of a Disney vacation continues to rise each year (we spent over $5000 on this vacation alone. As for them making $8.00 an hour; there are plenty of jobs out there that pay more if they are willing to work (no pun intended) for them.

Ed
01-13-2008, 11:26 AM
I really believe Main Street Jim hit the nail on the head. :yes:

WDW replaced most of, if not all, of their walkie-talkies with Nextel phones a few years ago, and I believe I read somewhere that they are programmed for internal calls only - - no personal calls to home to get the grocery list. It caught me off guard the first few times I saw a CM using one instead of the more familiar walkie talkie. I can't say I've ever seen a CM using a personal cell phone while "on stage".

SgtTigger
01-13-2008, 11:49 AM
OK folks my opinion...

No cast member should be on any kind of phone while loading or unloading a ride or attraction...... This is a safety problem. They have more than enough workers to handle a work call for the person loading or unloading not to be the one on the phone.
On rides that have a safety panel I know they have phones in them and I don't have a problem with that person taking a phone call about the ride.
As for cell phones they do use Nextel instead of radios. Even the busses went to that a few years a go. But no one should be text messaging.....

:cop: :tigger:

Not2Loud
01-13-2008, 02:32 PM
I would guess its internal communication.

I agree with SgtTigger though, they shouldn't be on them while loading/unloading unless it is required for them to start the ride.

Ian
01-13-2008, 06:28 PM
The OP said they were texting ... I'm not sure how he could have confused texting on a personal cell phone with talking on a work phone.

I have no problem believing this would happen. After some of the garbage I've seen from WDW CM's lately, I think anything's possible.

If I see it, I'll report it. That's bad show ... it's a safety issue ... and frankly, it's just plain rude.

joanna71985
01-13-2008, 07:13 PM
CMs using cell phones (no matter what the reason) is a big no-no on stage.

Figaro
01-13-2008, 08:25 PM
Most, if not all, attractions have a Nextel radio located at load/unload, along with a house phone, in order to be able to contact managers and/or coordinators if needed.

There is indeed a "No cell phones on stage" policy in place for all (costumed) Cast Members.

Exactly... most CMs do still tend to carry their cells. They'll normally be txting.

I wouldn't be surprised if they got rid of the normal walkie talkies after many of the deaths, etc. People use scanners in the parks, picking up possibly condemning conversations by ill trained CMs can put Disney in a bad situation for a lawsuit. Cell phones are tougher to listen in on therefore less of a liability.

Probably not. It's way too important. We have talk groups, so different departments use different groups, but it allows for expedited communication process between departments, fellow CMs in your department, and managers/coordinators. We have a code system we also use so that if a guest is listening, it's more conductive to communicating a situation without alarming or making guest too aware of whats going on. On top of that, it could possibly be our only way to activate an EMT response to an emergency situation.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
01-13-2008, 09:55 PM
WDW replaced most of, if not all, of their walkie-talkies with Nextel phones a few years ago, and I believe I read somewhere that they are programmed for internal calls only - - no personal calls to home to get the grocery list.

Not to discredit this bit of info - but as I said, it was a Dapper Dan, one of the Barbershop Quartet. They are not supposed to have any kind of walkie-talkie or internal phone since they are in Entertainment. Just like the Citizens of Main Street wouldn't because of the period - they did not exist then.

And I highly doubt a Motorola Razr is included in the phones Disney provides.

As a policy, CM's are not to have their cell phones on their body at all while at work (including lockers or backstage). They are also not supposed to walk around while they are on the clock or on break and purchase things while still in costume.

This Dapper Dan was still wearing his hat, suspenders, blue stripped pants, blue shoes and white spats. I know for a fact he was working and maming a personal call because I heard the conversation.

I think it should be a terminal offense.

SpaceMtn101
01-13-2008, 10:32 PM
if a manager is helping load or unload a ride and their blackberry goes off (ALL managers have one) then they check it to make sure its not an emergency and then usually answer back... those are appropriate times but any body else is not allowed to text

2Epcot
01-13-2008, 10:50 PM

Many years ago when Disney was using a simple analog radio system I brought my scanner to both Disneyland and WDW just to hear the radio traffic ... It was very easy to listen to communications. That was 8-10 years ago. If they are using radios at all now, they would probably using a digital radio system that is very diffictult to listen in on.

We have talk groups, so different departments use different groups, but it allows for expedited communication process between departments, fellow CMs in your department, and managers/coordinators. We have a code system we also use so that if a guest is listening, it's more conductive to communicating a situation without alarming or making guest too aware of whats going on.

On the time I took my radio to Disneyland we wanted to go on Indiana Jones, but it quit before we got on. We went on to the Haunted Mansion. While there, I heard someone on the radio say Indiana Jones, and a code number. Not knowing the codes I asked a nearby CM what code "___" meant, and they told me that means the ride is working, so we went back and got right on.

brownie
01-14-2008, 09:58 AM
Text messaging is really bad show. As far as the pay differential, that's no excuse for not doing your job well.

bleukarma
01-14-2008, 10:21 AM
Two weeks ago I went to tour the resorts with a friend of mine that works for 911. He noticed the Nextels on the bus and made the comment that with all the money that Disney makes he’s surprised that they are just using Nextels. Oh well, whatever works.

I am usually the first one to jump up and say give the CM’s some slack because of their salary but I believe that no CM’s should have their cell phone in site on stage with them. No excuses. If there is an emergency at home then family members should have a way to contact them at work, not via cell phone. I do think that they should be able to use them on their break/lunch though, as long as they are backstage. They should be able to contact their family sometime and not have their entire day wrapped up in only Disney.

Ian
01-14-2008, 12:27 PM
I am usually the first one to jump up and say give the CM’s some slack because of their salary ... Okay ... I have to ask this ... Why would we cut CM's slack because of their salary? :confused:

They know what their wages are going in, right? And they know the rules? Since when does being on the low end of the pay scale entitle you to break the rules at work?

I see this argument over and over again as an excuse for why CM's should be able to basically do whatever they want and I gotta tell ya ... I don't get it.

No one is forcing them to do that job. If they don't like the pay or don't want to follow the rules, they can leave and go somewhere that suits them better. Personally, I don't see that as any kind of excuse at all.

DizneyRox
01-14-2008, 12:53 PM
No one is forcing them to do that job. If they don't like the pay or don't want to follow the rules, they can leave and go somewhere that suits them better. Personally, I don't see that as any kind of excuse at all.
It's a reason, not an excuse. I agree... Unfortunately, with the current situation, Disney needs the people more than the people need Disney, so they almost need to accept the rule breakers, as long as they show up for work.

Like I've said before, all you need is a SSN and a pulse to work at WDW these days.

Ian
01-14-2008, 01:53 PM
Like I've said before, all you need is a SSN and a pulse to work at WDW these days.Agreed. Sad ... very sad ...

bleukarma
01-14-2008, 03:56 PM
I absolutely do NOT think a CM should be able to do whatever they want, no matter what they make. If you read my original post I said that normally I am the first person to say give the CM’s some slack but there is NO excuse for a CM to have a cell phone on the floor with them. I think a lot of people are eager to jump on Cast Members if they aren’t 100% friendly, courteous or professional 100% of the time. Who is? I think if CM’s made a salary to where they could actually make a decent living then I would be less likely to give them some slack on some of the things they do and I would expect them to be more on par with their work performance. But I know CM’s have to work extra hours to be able to afford a basic living and when a person is over-worked and underpaid then I guess I am the type of person that doesn’t let the little things that slip up get to me. Does that mean they should talk on their cell phone while on the clock? No. Does that mean they should be out-right rude to guests? No. DizneyRox is right, it’s a reason, not an excuse. Try making only half the money of what you actually need to live and show up to work happy 100% of the time. Yes, they could find another job and most of them do. The turn-over rate at WDW is through the roof (because of the low pay) which means that a lot of people just show up for a pay check until they can find a better paying job. It’s unfortunate that the dedicated and happy CM’s get grouped in with the rest.

Ms.Disney
01-14-2008, 03:58 PM
Okay ... I have to ask this ... Why would we cut CM's slack because of their salary? :confused:

They know what their wages are going in, right? And they know the rules? Since when does being on the low end of the pay scale entitle you to break the rules at work?

I see this argument over and over again as an excuse for why CM's should be able to basically do whatever they want and I gotta tell ya ... I don't get it.

I totally agree! Here in Orlando there are lots of job opportunities outside of Disney.

goofyskier
01-14-2008, 06:20 PM
Just so everyone is aware; the vast majority of CM's that I came in contact with during my 10 day stay were exceptional however, during my previous six trips I have never encountered a CM operating a ride and using a cell phone and I personally found it upsetting as I would expect them to be more focused on the customers than their phones.

This was especailly true on Space Mountain were I obsereved the individual pull the phone out of a drawer nest to the operating control. He then proceded to look at the phone to see if anyone called, open it, and then text a message to someone. This person did this while phisically controlling the button that allows the coaster to advance to the next position immediatally (sp?) after the load zone.

The other instance was in the pre-show room on Tower of Terror were a CM was observed texting both during and after the Rod Serling show. My only issue with this was the fact that cell phones did not exist in a 1920's Hotel and, that the CM did not direct the people out of the room after the doors opened.

This is not to say that all the CM's are walking around taping and yaping; just that it seemed to be a more prevalant issue than during previous trips.

joanna71985
01-15-2008, 10:40 AM
Oh I can say I've seen CM's onstage using a cellphone and out of their area.

I was at the Emporium (then again, when am I not) and I saw one of the Dapper Dans just walking through the store on their cell, asking their wife what they wanted to pick up.

I wanted to rip the phone out of his hand and smash it into pieces. One, it's against policy. Two, there were no cell phones in 1907. Three, he's on stage and a performer! Four, it was rude and annoying and I complained to my leaders (who went and reported it to Entertainment).

Wow, that's really bad. I can't believe he would do that.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
01-15-2008, 03:35 PM
Yeah Joanna, it was pretty bad and I too was shocked when I saw it.

It seems like the cell phone has become an additional appendage - you can't leave home with out it.

MMouse6937
01-15-2008, 04:21 PM
I guess I don't pay as much attention as everyone else. I guess maybe if I did I would like WDW a lot less. I'm not looking at the operator of Space Mountain to see if he's texting someone (not that it's safe if he is) I'm getting excited about my ride.

I think Disney does things so well that I tend to take in the whole experience and not so much see the little problems here and there. I do understand though how something like that can ruin an experience. That was my feeling about Disneyland, that's why I have a sour feeling about going there again.

Quasimodo
01-15-2008, 04:50 PM
A year or two ago, we had a WDW bus driver talking on a cell phone while driving the bus. And no, it wasn't a Nextel. She was chatting away in Spanish the entire trip. She got so distracted by her conversation that she took the wrong route from the hotel. We were trying to get to MGM, but she went somewhere else (don't remember where) and had to turn around and go back. It was quite annoying and a little nerve racking.

SteveL
01-15-2008, 06:37 PM
While is by no means a scientific study, it appears to me that texting is something that is usually done by younger people.
Often incessantly (like my kids).
That being said, I just have to wonder how many of these CMs are actually there on the College Program and really wouldn't care if they get fired for what they get paid.l

CaptainJessicaSparrow
01-16-2008, 12:28 AM
Pfft, have you ever tried to pack all of your stuff and book a flight to leave within 24 hours?

Cause that's all the time a CP gets to leave from the time they are fired. Sounds like too much stress to me just for using a cell phone.

Then again...CP's get terminated for less.

Daisy'sMom
01-16-2008, 09:04 AM
1) Iger (aka. Ogre) just made $27.7-million.
2) He doesn't care much for WDW guests or CM's.
3) I think we can cut $7.54/hr CM's a little slack.

NOTE: I am not trying to excuse CM's behavior, but motivation is hard when you see the CEO making more than 1700 times their pay.

That can be said for all big business. Try working for physicians, it's a miracle when they offer health insurance let alone good pay.

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
01-16-2008, 10:09 AM
A year or two ago, we had a WDW bus driver talking on a cell phone while driving the bus. And no, it wasn't a Nextel. She was chatting away in Spanish the entire trip. She got so distracted by her conversation that she took the wrong route from the hotel. We were trying to get to MGM, but she went somewhere else (don't remember where) and had to turn around and go back. It was quite annoying and a little nerve racking.That one I would have reported...hopefully you did as well.

Ian
01-16-2008, 03:08 PM
That one I would have reported...hopefully you did as well.Ditto. I find it extremely unprofessional when employees are speaking in front of customer in a language other than English.

If you're employed by an American company in a customer facing role, you need to speak English at all times.

NotaGeek
01-16-2008, 04:10 PM
Ditto. I find it extremely unprofessional when employees are speaking in front of customer in a language other than English.

If you're employed by an American company in a customer facing role, you need to speak English at all times.

I have never understood why people think that way. If the person isn't speaking to YOU directly, why does it matter if you understand what they are talking about? Odds are they aren't talking about you, so unprofessional in this case cant be equated to feeling uncomfortable.

Back to the point of the original post, I have noticed CMs using cell phones at both WDW and DLR ... and yes, I can tell the difference in those annoying Nextel push-to-talk devices. I am pretty picky, but it obviously didn't bug me ... of course next time I go I will be on the look out for it and it will drive me crazy! :)

Scar
01-16-2008, 04:31 PM
I have never understood why people think that way.:ditto:

The issue with the bus driver is about safety, and, to a lesser extent, inconvenience (by missing the turn.) Who cares what language they were speaking. :confused:

DisneyDudet
01-16-2008, 05:45 PM
Just so everyone is aware; the vast majority of CM's that I came in contact with during my 10 day stay were exceptional however, during my previous six trips I have never encountered a CM operating a ride and using a cell phone and I personally found it upsetting as I would expect them to be more focused on the customers than their phones.

This was especailly true on Space Mountain were I obsereved the individual pull the phone out of a drawer nest to the operating control. He then proceded to look at the phone to see if anyone called, open it, and then text a message to someone. This person did this while phisically controlling the button that allows the coaster to advance to the next position immediatally (sp?) after the load zone.

The other instance was in the pre-show room on Tower of Terror were a CM was observed texting both during and after the Rod Serling show. My only issue with this was the fact that cell phones did not exist in a 1920's Hotel and, that the CM did not direct the people out of the room after the doors opened.

This is not to say that all the CM's are walking around taping and yaping; just that it seemed to be a more prevalant issue than during previous trips.

Well, these might be the same ones we saw in October. I never paid any mind to it actually... kind of went, "Well, that's Disney these days," and went on. I wasn't happy, but what can you really do? It won't get better, even if you complain, as there doesn't seem to be anyone enforcing the rules they've had for decades.

Maybe if this happens next time, an email or complaint will be in order from me.

Ian
01-16-2008, 07:34 PM
The issue with the bus driver is about safety, and, to a lesser extent, inconvenience (by missing the turn.) Who cares what language they were speaking. :confused:I do. The national language of customer service in this country is English (in fact, last time I checked it was still the national language period, despite the efforts of some to make it otherwise).

If you're "on stage", or whatever they call it at the applicable place of business, English is the appropriate language to be speaking.

Even the implication that you could be talking about one of the customers is inappropriate, IMO.

Quasimodo
01-16-2008, 08:30 PM
Well I didn't report the driver. I don't remember the reason why. Probably because I didn't want to get the woman in trouble. Plus we've had WDW drivers help us out a couple of times by taking us out of their route to our resort when we got stuck at another resort late at night. But I agree that I should have reported it. It was a safety issue. It was dangerous for her to be talking on the phone and driving a bus at the same time. I only mentioned the Spanish part because it was clear she was having a personal conversation and not communicating with a dispatcher or supervisor. I'm pretty sure those conversations are in English.

SteveL
01-16-2008, 09:06 PM
(in fact, last time I checked it was still the national language period, despite the efforts of some to make it otherwise).

Actually there is no national language in the United States.
Probably nobody knows that better now than our own Joey Vento of Geno's.

PrincessCandaceMarie
01-17-2008, 11:23 AM
My 'boyfriend' is part of the Dream Squad and he is NEVER on his cel while 'on stage' so to hear this really blows me away. I have to wait until he's on lunch or 'behind the scenes' to call or for him to get the messages or texts I've left him.

joanna71985
01-17-2008, 01:44 PM
Yeah Joanna, it was pretty bad and I too was shocked when I saw it.

It seems like the cell phone has become an additional appendage - you can't leave home with out it.

I would have been shocked too. I'm glad you reported it.

And I agree.

adoptionislove
01-20-2008, 11:30 PM
What is really bad is...

When you are "using the facility" and someone comes in and goes into the stall on the phone and you hear"what's up" and they begin this LONG conversation on their cell phone!!!

OMG!!! are you kidding me? How important do you have to think you are to be on the potty AND carry on a conversation?????

WOW!!! I thought I had heard it all till that!!!

Am I old or is this annoying to others as well?

joanna71985
01-21-2008, 03:47 PM
No, that is definitely annoying! I absolutely HATE listening to personal cell-phone conversations in the bathroom.

SteveL
01-21-2008, 09:24 PM
There nothing quite like a phone conversation echoing off the tile walls, occassionally punctuated with the sounds of a flush and a high velocity hand drier in the background, to let the receipient of the call know just how important they are to you.

NJ Camper
01-22-2008, 12:37 AM
One thing I hate is it seems people tend to talk very loud when they talk on a cell phone and don't try to make it a private call I hate being in a crowd with someone talking loud about something that sounds like something that should be private right next to you not every one needs to be part of your call why not step to the side and give your self and everyone else a little space

katzctkpt
01-22-2008, 02:22 PM
I agree 100% when at work your cell phone should be a non existant thing. If there is an emergency a family member should have a way to contact the individual at the work place and the employee should not be held accountable for the call. Not only that it's bad manners to take a call when you are waiting on a customer.

SteveL
01-22-2008, 05:49 PM
I agree 100% when at work your cell phone should be a non existant thing. If there is an emergency a family member should have a way to contact the individual at the work place and the employee should not be held accountable for the call. Not only that it's bad manners to take a call when you are waiting on a customer.

That depends upon the situtation in the workplace. Many people here forward their desk phones to their cell phones when they aren't near their office. The company really benefits from it.

sneezyone
01-23-2008, 03:06 PM
[QUOTE=NotaGeek;1519334]I have never understood why people think that way. If the person isn't speaking to YOU directly, why does it matter if you understand what they are talking about? Odds are they aren't talking about you, so unprofessional in this case cant be equated to feeling uncomfortable.

Personally, I find it rude. Its sort of like going to a friends house with your sister then speaking a foreign language with your sister and ignoring your friend.

Its unprofessional and rude.

besides you never know if they are discussing something inappropriate. I was in a place where a professional team were signing autographs for fans. 2 of them were speaking in french and were talking quite inappropriately about a woman in front of me. They were saying things that has the womans' boy friend understood he'd want to "defend her honor" if you get my meaning.

I understood them and once she was out of earshot...in french I told them they should be careful what they say as some people actually speak more than one language.

One was so embarrassed he left.

It was incredibly uncomfortable for me.

It is rude and to assume that people don't understand is also rude.

Aurora
01-23-2008, 08:23 PM
It's rude, disrespectful and bad business for anyone in customer service to talk on their cell phone while working, no matter in what language and for which company. The fact that it's against POLICY at Disney makes it even more of an affront. Obviously there are very few repercussions or cast members wouldn't be so free and public about it.

If they would start firing people for not following rules and made that well known, I think it would go a long way toward improving guest experience. However, my guess is that Disney has more of a supply of low-wage jobs than there is a demand.

playdead88
02-09-2008, 11:13 AM
i have to say i have never seen a cm on a cell phone of any type

SpaceMtn101
02-09-2008, 01:33 PM
You know all i am going to say is this... Yeah cast members shouldnt be on it... and yes most ppl who do it are cps who could careless... but before you bacome judgemental about cellphones ... maybe they been having a bad day and want to talk to someone who wont yell at them ... guests come into the park expecting to walk on EVERY line and not to have to wait at all ... and it becomes hard to deal with... what castmembers make the guest should try to appreciate the cast members more than degrade them more ... cuz in reality thats what you are doing ... we are all human ..we have all answered phones when we shouldnt... a movie theater, a bathroom, in a city that doesnt allow cell phones, work , and even public events. So how can u sit here and degrade castmemebers at Disney??

joanna71985
02-09-2008, 02:18 PM
You know all i am going to say is this... Yeah cast members shouldnt be on it... and yes most ppl who do it are cps who could careless... but before you bacome judgemental about cellphones ... maybe they been having a bad day and want to talk to someone who wont yell at them ... guests come into the park expecting to walk on EVERY line and not to have to wait at all ... and it becomes hard to deal with... what castmembers make the guest should try to appreciate the cast members more than degrade them more ... cuz in reality thats what you are doing ... we are all human ..we have all answered phones when we shouldnt... a movie theater, a bathroom, in a city that doesnt allow cell phones, work , and even public events. So how can u sit here and degrade castmemebers at Disney??

I agree with what you're thinking. But I am a cast member, and cell-phone use is a BIG no-no. Even if they are having a bad day, it just should not be done.

SpaceMtn101
02-09-2008, 02:33 PM
i used to be a cm too ... i know the policys .. i always used it backstage or on my break ... but i just dont think ppl should be bashing them to the point that there are... because as a whole they arent that many who do it ... and its not right to start bashing cast members the way they are... and in all honestly i was attacked by a guest and my managers did nothing... having my cell phone on me personally made me feel safer

Scar
02-09-2008, 07:19 PM
..we have all answered phones when we shouldnt... I haven't.

Main Street Jim
02-10-2008, 08:27 AM
in all honestly i was attacked by a guest and my managers did nothing... having my cell phone on me personally made me feel saferHuh? I would have called Security if I was "attacked" by a guest. And how does having your cell phone *on you*, *ON STAGE*, make you feel "safer"? As a long-time (goin' on seven years this year) Disney CM, it breaks my heart to hear this "excuse". I own a cell phone. But I have NEVER had it on me ON STAGE. I always keep it in my locker, and use it only on my breaks. Someone wants to get ahold of me, they can leave a message, and I'll call 'em back.

I was ATTACKED by a guest a coupla years back at the Frontierland train station. This guy was in a non-guest area in Frontierland, and I POLITELY asked him to come down out of the cactus near the Thunder FP machines. I went back up to the Train station, and two minutes later this guy came over the station gates to yell at me and swing at me, yelling, "I lost my kid, I was trying to find him!" (although in much more colorful language...LOL). At that point, I was immediately on the park phone to Security, not about the kid, but about the "guest" that had become violent and jumped an attraction fence to get to me. Security showed up in less than three minutes. when I got back to Main Street, I informed my managers of what had happened. Not once did it make me want to have my cell phone on me "to feel safer".

Back to the topic, one of my fellow (newer) CMs was yappin' on his cell phone ON STAGE yesterday out in front of the Speedway, just prior to the park opening up. And yes, I did say something to him...

DanDisney
02-10-2008, 10:04 AM
Yeah I worked at Cedar Point in Ohio and we werent allowed to have our cell phones on us while working that was a big NO NO too. if caught it was considered a Operational(which is being written up). Im sure disney has there own way of handling cell phone weilding cms. I have to admit though having my cell phone on me though just to check the time mostly because there not a clock around. I know theres a thing called a watch,lol! I would never think of talking on it while working though. And would never have it in front of a guest either. I have to agree that a cell phone distracts from giving a guest 100 percent of your attention especially if you are on controls of a ride! As far as using a regular phone we where never allowed to call other rides except if it was one of our own rides.

SpaceMtn101
02-10-2008, 09:03 PM
i never got a locker i didnt feel safe with bringing my stuff to work so my keys and cell phone stay in my pocket.... and i always keep them in my pocket after i was attacked at dtd no matter where i work ... if i have pockets on me i have them in there it makes me feel safer ... just because i have it on me i dont use it ... i usually have it on silent so i dont know its even going off... until i have a break ... i know some ppl abuse the policy but the few that dont shouldnt be judged

joanna71985
02-10-2008, 11:07 PM
No one is judging, but the fact is that cell phones are not allowed to be used on stage- end of story. That's the rule. Sometimes I kept mine with me as well, but I never used it (til I got backstage). It's just bad show.

3Cabsfan
02-11-2008, 04:26 PM
Iger's salary has nothing to do with this issue. CM's are not supposed to use personal phones or have personal conversations while onstage. Blaming Bob Iger/salary is one of the lousiest excuses I think I have ever heard. If you want to work at WDW you are not supposed to use a cell phone for personal use. Many CM's use them for work issues and many Nextel's have phone capablilty. It is sad that many CM's don't have the personal work ethic to simply follow the rules put in place for our guests.

TheRustyScupper
02-12-2008, 12:58 PM
{Put on Flame Proof Suit, Step on Soapbox}

1) Yes, I know CM's aren't supposed to be on personal cell phones.
2) Yes, it is "bad show".
3) But, human nature is human nature.
4) How many of you have used a cell phone (or know someone who has)
. . . in a busy restaurant
. . . on a plane
. . . on a subway or public bus
. . . in a crowd
. . . in line at a WDW ride
. . . while driving your car
. . . in a classroom
5) All of these can be "bad show", or even dangerous.
6) In many cases they can be considered rude to others.
7) So, what is a so wrong about a CM using a cell phone?
8) Yes, it should be done, but human nature . . .
9) So, let's not critisize and cut them a little slack.

{Off Soapbox, Replace Flame Proof Suit}

3Cabsfan
03-01-2008, 11:42 AM
It's also personal nature to talk about your problems outside of work, eat food, ignore people, slouch....when you apply for a job and are hired, you are expected to follow the company's policies. They are paying your salary and asking you to do a good job. They ask that you do not use cell phones while onstage or in front of the guests. Wait until you are backstage away from guests. It isn't too difficult to follow. It takes a little self control. I'm amazed at how people go to Disney, apply for a job, get the job, and then gripe about all the rules/policies that are in place. You don't have to agree with them but should follow them. Disney didn't come and kidnap these people and force them to work there. They offered a job to those that want to get paid while creating a great guest experience. Cut Disney some slack.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
03-02-2008, 12:50 AM
I've never really paid attention to this in WDW. But now I probably will the next time I'm there.
I work at a jewelry store part time and if someone comes in talking on a cell phone, I won't even approach them until they get off the phone. But then I've also had my co-workers on the sales floor taking and making personal phone calls on their cell phones and I find that rude too. But management doesn't say or do anything so who am i to complain?

Main Street Jim
03-04-2008, 08:40 AM
Rusty wrote:
4) How many of you have used a cell phone (or know someone who has)
. . . in a busy restaurant
. . . on a plane
. . . on a subway or public bus
. . . in a crowd
. . . in line at a WDW ride
. . . while driving your car
. . . in a classroomBut the difference is, I believe, that this list is all on "personal" time, not while you're ON THE CLOCK ON STAGE WHILE WORKING. CMs should NOT have their cells ON THEIR PERSON while operating an attraction, making a transaction at a Merchandise location, taking an order at a restaurant, etc.

From what I understand and what I've heard, is that we're really starting to crack down on this issue.

joanna71985
03-04-2008, 10:23 AM
From what I understand and what I've heard, is that we're really starting to crack down on this issue.

Glad to hear it.

Spaceship Tigger
03-04-2008, 10:57 AM
This is sad. I get the feeling that if suddenly every cellular company in existence suddenly shut down that the world as we know it would suddenly come crashing down...

It's ridiculous to think that there are front-line cast members at WDW who are told not to use cell phones while working that do just that. I'm told not to use a cell phone while in the electronics plant that I work in, so I don't.

Last time I checked, the human race survived for quite a few years without the use of cell phones. I'm pretty sure even WDW was built before cell phones existed. To think that they are a necessity now is utterly ridiculous. WDW management says not to use them, so cast members should stay off them while working or be disciplined.

thejens
03-20-2008, 12:57 AM
I think obnoxious cell phone usage is a prevalent problem across many industries these days. I would hope Disney would be a leader and example, not an example of poor customer service. As a service industry manager I am constantly fighting the battle of the cell phone with my staff and it is challenging to eradicate this insiduous new habit. I personally appreciate people letting me know when my staff use their phones while on duty. I do think many, many people are rude, not just what ever staff are supposed to be working. It would be nice to come to a consensus about cell phone etiquette and have manners police start enforcing the rules!!