PDA

View Full Version : Off-Site vs. In the Park

Schmiv
01-12-2008, 07:49 PM
I'm looking for some pros and cons regarding staying in the park or outside the park.

Our first family trip we stayed at POFQ. We were a family of 4 with 2 DS ages 5 and 3. Our next trip (looking at Nov. 2009) we will be a family of 5 with 2 DS ages 8 and 6 and a new little one (gender unknown at this time:secret:) age 1. A family member has a timeshare off site but I'm thinking that between the car rental, food expense, parking, etc. the cost savings would be minimal if at all.

Thanks Intercot Gang!!!!!

Belle1217
01-12-2008, 08:07 PM
I think its better to stay on-site. With a little one it is much easier to go back to your room if needed. When we went with our kids last year our youngest was 3 and we went back every afternoon for a little swim and nap. Being onsite made this very easy. :mickey:

vamaggie
01-12-2008, 08:24 PM
I would also vote for on site, especially with a 1 yr old. You also get EMHs, Disney transportation and Magical Express. We went when our DD was 18 mos and found it really nice to be able to go back to the room and let her have a nap while DH rested and DS (7 at the time) and I could swim, shop, explore etc. Unless you plan to go go go allday long (which I could not imagine doing with 3 kids) staying on site is worth all the money IMHO.

MNMS
01-12-2008, 08:45 PM
We're big fans of onsite. We've been going since our oldest was 3 (she's now 7) and with both since the youngest was 8 months. We've always stayed on resort (at moderates - POFQ is our favorite). I think cost wise, it is probably cheaper to stay off-site even with the car rental. We just find it too convenient to stay on resort, plus we like the idea of being away from the "outside world."

Jillirose
01-12-2008, 09:05 PM
We've done both, and with kids, onsite is really convenient - especially if you have to 'divide and conquer'! Once or twice, someone went back to the room with child for nap.

DDuck66
01-14-2008, 12:04 PM
After making two off site trips this past year, I have to vote for staying onsite. We stayed at the Sheraton Safari Suites which is just outside of WDW and they suite was really nice, but it did not have that "disney magic" that I have come to associate with our trips to WDW. I have an AP, so we did not have to pay for parking, but I much prefer to leave my car and let "Mickey" do the driving.

NJMan66
01-15-2008, 12:36 PM
I'm looking for some pros and cons regarding staying in the park or outside the park.

Our first family trip we stayed at POFQ. We were a family of 4 with 2 DS ages 5 and 3. Our next trip (looking at Nov. 2009) we will be a family of 5 with 2 DS ages 8 and 6 and a new little one (gender unknown at this time:secret:) age 1. A family member has a timeshare off site but I'm thinking that between the car rental, food expense, parking, etc. the cost savings would be minimal if at all.

Thanks Intercot Gang!!!!!

Actually the cost of staying in a 2 Bedroom Condo at the Sheraton or Marriott or Hilton resorts outside of WDW will cost you less, even with a car than a suite or two one bedrooms on property. If you have a timeshare then the cost is substantially less. Plus you will actually spend less on food since you would be eating at least breakfast in your condo. A van for the week will cost you about $400-$500.

If money is not the primary issue, then try to stay at a DVC on property (Key West, Wilderness Lodge...). Yes, it's costly, but the experience of having a 2 bedroom condo with 2 bathrooms and a full kitchen, especially with a 1 year old, will make your entire experience that much more enjoyable; even more than having two connecting rooms.

Needless to say, the "feeling" you get from staying on property is what makes the cost worth it. :mickey:

#1donaldfan
01-15-2008, 12:53 PM
On site, on site, on site......no driving, no parking........you can stay at POR AB with 5....there's a trundle bed for the 5th....the two boy's will probably fight over it......no worries with staying on........good luck...:thumbsup:

Tygger7
01-15-2008, 12:59 PM
Stay onsite...I wouldn't do it any other way. Why?
1. Easy to go back to the hotel and rest in the afternoons with little ones.
2. Extra Magic Hours
3. Not having to drive to & from the parks every day (I HATE driving, so anytime someone else will drive me around, it's all good.)
4. The whole Disney experience...you just don't get the same feeling when you stay offsite.

It is worth EVERY penny you'll spend!!

BouncingTigger
01-16-2008, 12:01 AM
I'd stay onsite. The bus system is a good way to get around...although I had a cast member tell me she recommends renting a car during the summer because the buses get so crowded.

I'd also think that the kids would like being immersed in the "Disney magic" as much as they can. Plus, towel animals! :D

Congratulations on your upcoming little one! :thumbsup:

tjstrike
01-16-2008, 08:31 AM
Totally on site !! It's like getting away from the real world for a week. Awesome !! :mickey:

Schmiv
01-16-2008, 08:34 AM
:rocks:
Thanks Intercot Gang!!!!

We've decided to stay onsite as our last experience at the POFQ was just spectacular. Since the new baby will still be in a crib we can stay there again. This way if I need to go back to the room with the baby I'm not taking the car away from DH & DS's. Thanks for all the feedback. :number1: