PDA

View Full Version : Hairspray on Broadway

pink
01-11-2008, 08:36 PM
I'm going to see Hairspray on Broadway tomorrow afternoon and I haven't heard any reviews on the performance. So I was wondering if anyone on here saw it. What did you think? :mickey:

NotaGeek
01-11-2008, 09:05 PM
The Broadway production of Hairspray won 8 Tony Awards, including Best Musical, Best Male/Female lead in a Musical, Best Book, and Best Oiginal Score... so basically it's one of the best shows on Broadway presently. Accoring to Playbill.com (http://www.playbill.com/events/event_detail/629.html) the cast that's in the show now is:

SHANNON DURIG -- Tracy Turnblad
GEORGE WENDT -- Edna Turnblad
DARLENE LOVE -- Motormouth Maybelle
MICHELE PAWK -- Velma Von Tussle
TOM ROONEY -- Wilbur Turnblad
NIKI SCALERA -- Penny Pingleton
CLARKE THORELL -- Corny Collins
TEVIN CAMPBELL -- Seaweed J. Stubbs
SUSAN MOSHER -- Prudy Pingleton
NATURI NAUGHTON -- Inez
ASHLEY PARKER ANGEL -- Link Larkin
ASHLEY SPENCER -- Amber Von Tussle

Please remember the Broadway production is NOT exactly like the movie, enjoy!

BklynChick
01-11-2008, 10:19 PM
I love, love, LOVE Hairspray! It is a great show, and the songs will have you ready to dance in the aisles. It's just a fun musical. I had the opportunity to see it when Bruce Vilanch (of Hollywood Squares fame) was playing Edna, and he was a riot!

Have a great time!

ChipnDaleGal
01-12-2008, 06:51 AM
My daughter and I went to New York two summers ago for a Broadway Musical Extravaganza. We saw 8 shows. After I bought all our tickets, I had some moments of buyer's remorse about the Hairspray tickets we had. I started to second guess myself, and I was mad that I hadn't gotten tickets to Dirty Rotten Scoundrels instead. So I walked into the theatre a little annoyed and expecting disappointment. What I got was one of the most joyous theatre experiences of my life! Hairspray is wonderful onstage. The songs, the story, rooting for the cute little chubby girl... it is all amazing!! We both left the show with smiles on our faces and with happier hearts.

I hope you have as good of a time as we did! :thumbsup:

broadway_chick72
01-13-2008, 08:54 PM
Hairspray is FANTASTIC! You WILL love it! It's very upbeat and bright!

MNNHFLTX
01-13-2008, 09:30 PM
I didn't realize that George Wendt was playing Edna in Hairspray on Broadway right now. Sounds like a great time--have fun!

RoosMomKanga
01-13-2008, 09:37 PM
:thumbsup::thumbsup:I saw it this past Spring with my DD. It was our favorite show we went to!!! We thought it was so much better than the movie...I love John Travolta...but he just wasn't Edna! Enjoy!:woohoo:

mia cruz
01-14-2008, 02:13 AM
I've seen Hairspary movie and it's really beautiful, with valuable lessons you'll got to learn.

NotaGeek
01-14-2008, 02:27 AM
I've seen Hairspary movie and it's really beautiful, with valuable lessons you'll got to learn.

:welcome: to INTERCOT!

LibertyTreeGal
01-15-2008, 06:22 PM
George Wendt? That must be a riot!!!!

And is that the same Ashley Spencer that was in Grease -- You're the One that I Want?

LibertyTreeGal
01-15-2008, 06:30 PM
It is her, I found a pic of them in it. Can a post a link to the show pic? It's on broadway.com....

NotaGeek
01-15-2008, 07:21 PM
It is her, I found a pic of them in it. Can a post a link to the show pic? It's on broadway.com....

Yes, you can post any link that is not directing to a competing website, or to a website that might have questionable "non family-friendly" content... broadway.com is fine!

Ashley Spencer (http://www.broadway.com/gen/show.aspx?SI=19072)

LibertyTreeGal
01-15-2008, 07:25 PM
Okay, here's the pic of them together.....

Do we dare say it?

EDNA!

http://www.broadway.com/gen/pop_Photo_Op.aspx?ci=555183&pn=10

mia cruz
01-15-2008, 10:07 PM
:welcome: to INTERCOT!

Thanks for the warm welcome :)

pink
01-16-2008, 07:57 PM
Thank you, I had a great time. I've had the soundtrack from the play for awhile so I knew all of the songs and I actually thought Ashley Parker Angel (Link) did a better job then Zac Efron did the the movie. Overall it was a great show. The only negative thing was that the seats were so close together. :mickey:

2Epcot
01-17-2008, 12:27 AM
Nice to hear you had a good time Pink. I enjoyed both the movie and the musical, though I never saw it on Broadway. I was lucky to see the show here in Los Angeles with Marissa Jaret Winokur reprising the lead she won her Tony award. On a side note, Marissa ended up being my next door neighbor several years before taking the role on Broadway when I first moved to LA, so it was thrill to see her doing so well.