PDA

View Full Version : First time with kids

awaggett
01-11-2008, 01:57 PM
All--I've been many times to the World, but am now planning a trip for early December 2008 with friends and their children--there will be 4 adults and 3 kids--5, 4.5, and 2.

I'm looking for advice on anything and everything! I was thinking of recommending we stay at a monorail resort--I figure having quick options to get back to the room would be good!

Do you typically head to the parks early, take naps, and go back in the evenings? I'm always surprised when I see kids in the park at night--but, not having my own, do not know what plans folks might do.

I also figure we will do some Character meals--O'Hanna's for dinner also sounds fun.

I am already "prepared" to not do things I would normally do, but want to have an idea of how "different" a trip with kids will be!

Thanks in advance.

ginger19
01-11-2008, 03:21 PM
I just went with my 2.5 year old and my 4 year old :mickey:

Get to the parks early. They are less crowded depending on the date and you can get a lot done.
Take naps/rest. It avoids meltdowns later.
Schedule early dinners. Children are more likely to sit and enjoy dinnner at 5 than they are at 8pm.
Do a few character dinners. They are a lot of fun!
Rent strollers. The place is huge and even bigger for small legs.
Bring or buy a small toy for lines.
Use fast passes wherever you can.
Have a list of must sees and see those first.
Be reasonable with your expectations of what the kids can/can't or will/won't do. Kids have bad days like adults do.
Use baby swap. It's a huge time saver and everyone gets to enjoy the bigger rides. See a cast member at the front of the line and they will give you a fast pass for the adult staying behind with the children.
Have fun! Watching my children see it all is more fun than anything for me.

Disney Doll
01-11-2008, 03:39 PM
in addition to the ones already mentioned-
1. Schedule a rest day for swimming and hanging out at the resort.
2. Get autograph books- it gives timid kids a reason to approach the characters
3. Keep a few snacks with you at all times.
4. Bring lots of wet wipes. You can clean everything from tables to sticky, ice cream hands.
5. Let the kids dictate the pace and follow their cues.

azcavalier
01-11-2008, 04:20 PM
I agree with both of the above. We've been three times with our kids at various stages in their lives. Renting a stroller is great, but in most of the parks they're hard plastic, so make sure to bring some blanket or something for padding. Even better is if you want to buy (if you don't already have) an inexpensive umbrella stroller and take that instead. Don't take a big Graco or something that you're not going to be able to get on and off the Disney Transportation.

Always, always go back after lunch to take naps. And then hit early dinners and a few more rides after dinner.

We have yet to stick around for any of the fireworks, which I know the kids would love, but we've never wanted to have to fight the crowds and lines to get out of the park afterwards. So, if you're thinking of watching some of those, I would figure out which ones you'd want to see, and then decide where you're going to stay. For example, if you're going to watch the Magic Kingdom fireworks, then maybe stay at the Contemporary so that you can walk back afterwards and not have to worry about the monorail or lines. If you want to see the shows at Epcot or Disney Studios, then the Boardwalk is your best bet, because you can walk to either park from there.

Just my $.02 worth.

Kidsmom
01-11-2008, 04:30 PM
I have a different view depending on your kids sleep schedule.

If they are nappers and early to bed, then the mid-after noon nap is a must.

My kids on the other hand stopped naps at 18 mo. - 2yrs. and are able to sleep in if they stay up late. So we switch there schedule. We stay out until midnight and then they sleep until 9 or 10. We get up and spend time at the resort and go to the park around 1 or 2.

This works great for us as we love to sleep in and even if the kids were in bed by 8 or 9 pm, my DH and I still would be up until 12 or 1am as we are night owls. This way we all get lots of sleep. (BTW DD9,DD7, DS6, DS4)

Also I agree with ALWAYS have snacks in your bag!

Have a blast!!

baby minnie's mommy
01-11-2008, 08:59 PM
Be prepared for extra potty breaks. :D

As a mom I love when DH keeps DD with him while shopping, so I can run around and look at stuff easier. You may want to offer to help watch the kids while the parents get some private shopping time, or to help keep track of the kids in the stores. It can get pretty hectic in there.

With extra people, especially little kids/strollers, it won't be easy trekking across the park to catch a show. Try to work your way around the park in such a way that you catch the shows as you go (and be prepared to miss some due to prolonged meals, potty trips, etc.)

I like having DD take a nap so she is up to enjoy the nighttime at Disney. Usually she just sleeps at the park and we sit down for a bit or wait in a line while she naps. Once we went back to our room at the Contemp. for a midday break, which was very refreshing. A monorail resort is ideal, but don't pressure anyone into it. Parking the kids in the shade and watching them nap can be refreshing, too, especially if you use the time to sip a beverage and enjoy the scenery, take turns shopping, etc.

Something we've done with DD(2) is the "out of sight, out of mind" trick. For example, we'll ride Dumbo and the carousel first when in Fantasyland, since those are in plain sight. Then if there's time we'll do the rides in the buildings, since she doesn't know they are actually rides till we take her in. This won't necessarily work as well with older kids, but you get the idea.

Going to Disney with kids can be a very special experience! You'll have lots of wonderful memories, especially around the holidays! :cloud9:

#1donaldfan
01-12-2008, 11:44 AM
Just seeing the faces are worth a MINT !!! You'll be able to do about everything your used to doing, just at a bit of a slower pace. Our kids have done it all. We would normally hit the parks at opening, leave around 1ish, go back to the room for a quick nap, or should I say the DW and DD#1 napped and DS, DD#2 and myself would swim an hour or so, shower, wake up the sleepers and back we'd go to a park for the rest of the evening, into the night. Be prepared for a cry or two, maybe a slight attitude, they tend to get a little cranky when they get really tired...that's why we do the room, nap, swim thing......we love the parks, but it's nearly impossible to open and close 'em, at least without a small break somewhere in there.....I can't imagine doing Disney without kids.....it's all about the kids and just seeing their faces light up when they experience all Disney has to offer.....:mickey:

teambricker04
01-12-2008, 01:34 PM
Good hotel choice! I find staying farther away it is harder to get back for a nap.

This last time we went my son was about two and a half. He has been to Disney a bunch of times, but this is the first time he wasn't able to nap. He was just too excited. By the end of the trip he realized he wouldn't miss anything if he took a snooze in the stroller. He even preferred his baby brothers seat in the stroller! Shocking!

My kids are morning people so it is very easy to get to the park for the opening and stay until after lunch and go back for a nap. We never stay late as my kids have had it by their regular bed time. We went with their grandparents this last time and took turns going out at night. When we go to MK we do Fantasyland first as some of the favorite kid rides get CRAZY long lines later in the day.

My advise? Take it nice and slow, find out ahead of time what the kids are really looking forward to. Plan a couple of TS meals, but not too many because kids are very rarely on the same dining schedule.

OH! And make sure you have lots of snacks in the room. We ran out of snacks once and of COURSE DS woke up SUPER hungry and nothing was open. Now, I make sure we have lots to eat or snack on just in case. Going to the parks is hard work for kids!

And bring post it notes for the toilets as with little people they tend to flush while they are sitting. Scarey for a kid!

scootch713
01-12-2008, 01:44 PM
I didn't read all the other responses, so sorry if I duplicate.

Strollers for ALL KIDS. I still rent a double stroller for my 5 and 7 year old.

Mid day breaks... A MUST! Dont' worry that you dont' see everything.... getting out of the park(even if your kids don't sleep) makes all the difference in the world in their moods. A cranky kid is no fun and not worth seeing that extra attraction, ect.....

Bring your own drinks, snacks. I fill one suitcase with nothing but bottle water and juice boxes, plus snacks. Then you have that suitcase to bring home souveniers home(plus nothing ever fits in the suitcase like it did at home).

Get to the parks at opening every day, you get so much done before noon.

Bring some souveniers from home(ok, I am a bit cheap here, haha)

Share meals.

I have a backpack with cameras/jacket or extra clothes.... and then a fanny pack to organize tickets and creditcards/money.

Hmm... I take my two daughters by myself....the kids are just so excited, they rarely fight and it is an amazingly wonderful trip. Take lots of pics and just enjoy. just again, don't try to do too much.. more isnt' necessarily better.

Few highlights my kids love....
spectromagic, turtle talk in Epcot, safari in AK, any day parade, autographs with characters(wish my kids didn't like this so well), swimming in the pools(just something about hotels and pools. MGM has a dance party at playhouse disney ONLY on extra magic hours night. You just dance with the characters and there is a dj. This past trip, this was their absolute favorite memory.

baby minnie's mommy
01-12-2008, 03:47 PM
Just thought of something my DD(2) loves - the mickey shaped pretzels that are sold in the gift shops. We get a big bag for just a few dollars, and she snacks on them every time we're at the hotel. They have Chip & Dale on the bag, but they're actually shaped like the side of Mickey's face. It's a fun, inexpensive snack for kids. :mickey:

jenfriend
01-13-2008, 08:37 PM
Bring a double stroller for the 3 kids: The two older ones can take turns sitting when they get tired. More than one stroller may get cumbersome. I like bringing my own that folds down nice. When you rent one from the parks, you must give it back at the entrance. The entrance to your transportation back to hotel; and hotel drop off to your room can be a LONG walk, and wheels will help save your back.

Bring some of the kids' favorite snacks in with you. Kids will pick they least likely times to eat.

And the least likely times to use the rest room. We talked to ours beforehand and explained that everyone had to "try" when we asked. Bring some post it notes because the self-flushing toilets can be traumatizing, and the post-it notes can be placed over the sensor and removed only when child is ready for the flush. Do not potty train on vacation. Diapers can be your friend when a child is not completely trained.

Bring hand sanitizer. Kids touch everything.

Kids' meals are a decent deal, and they include a drink. With young children, they can sometimes split a meal. Sometimes they are too distracted to eat anyway.

Stay at a resort that is close enough for you to return for naps/rest in the afternoons. If you stay on site the shuttles are excellent. You don't need to stay at a monorail resort, but that would be nice on the days you go to MK or EP. The great thing about staying on site is bring able to split up and have a reasonable change of meeting up again.

Speaking of splitting up, you may want to plan some time away. You may need a break from the kids, especially if you are not used to being around kids in general or these kids specifically. And second, they may want some family-only time.

Be the Bestest Friend in the world: Offer to watch the kids while their parents have dinner together one evening. Most parents don't get to be adults together because they're always relating as parents. It's a great gesture.

Suggested dinning: Our Favorite Character Meals were Ohana breakfast (Mickey, Lilo, Stitch), Crystal Palace in MK (Pooh & Piglet), and The Ankerhaus Storybook Princess Dinner in EP's Norway (4-5 princesses). Other favorites were Whispering Canyon at WL, Pecos Bills & Columbia House in MK, CS in the Land Pavilion, and the Food Court at POR has a great view of the river. Misses: Boatwrights at POR, Wolfgang Puck's at Downtown D.

When the kids have had it, take a break. A break can be taking the kids aside to sit or get shade; or a full blown break at the room. Have a plan, but be ready to change it.

My 2 year old's favorite rides were Winnie the Pooh & its a small world in Fantasyland, and Boat Ride in Mexico/EP. She also wanted to stop at every playlot: HISTA in HS, & the ones in Toontown and Fantasyland. We just called this a break & one adult would get a drink/snack while the other would watch the kids. The playlots are also great places to meet back up if you split up.

Have fun.