PDA

View Full Version : Free Dining ????

tennantsrwe
01-11-2008, 08:49 AM
Hey all.
I know typically in years past the Free Dining deal has been offered in the Fall. Anyone think there would ever be a chance it might be offered at another time? It seems to entice people to travel during that time because of the savings so I wonder if maybe Disney would consider doing it in say, Jan-Feb? Just thought I'd throw that in the mix! :mickey:

offwego
01-11-2008, 09:02 AM
Historically Sept end of august also didn't have a lot of other "things" going for it.

WDW does use Jan/Feb for a lot of rehabs as well as things like the marathon and other events.

Free dining really seems to pull preschool families in particular in so I don't know if right after christmas would be a time frame that would appeal to them.(budget wise)

CleveSJM
01-11-2008, 10:55 AM
I don't think there will ever be a chance they will offer it during Jan/Feb for the reasons offwego mentioned.

Possibly, if they keep weakening the DDP, until it's of little value, then they might consider other times to give it away.

Remember, free dining is 2008 is very different than previous years. You have to pay for the tip out of pocket and no appetizer is included. Once they make the base DDP a soda and snack, with add-on $$$ options for everything else, they'll offer the base DDP at other times... ;)

jszczur5
01-11-2008, 04:31 PM
Our family is operating under the assumption that Free Dining will be offered at the same time as the previous three years, and will be making our ADR's next month. If the promotion is not offered, we will change or cancel some ADR's accordingly. Our preferred travel time to WDW is the last week of August, first week of September anyway, so hopefully we will luck out again this year.

Ian
01-11-2008, 06:48 PM
A couple points ...

These days, Disney World tries hard to make sure that every single month they have something going on to attract crowds. In January they have cheerleading and marathons, February starts Spring Break and that runs through the end of April, May they have the Flower and Garden Festival, June/July/August is summer, October they have MNSSHP, and then it's Thanksgiving/Food & Wine, and then Christmas.

There's one blank space in there and it's September (traditionally the slowest month of the year at WDW). That's why they used to offer the free dining during this month.

But with the massive crowds that YoaMD is pulling in, I'll be surprised if they offer it in 2008. Given the way discounts and AP rates have been handled thus far in '08 (which is to say, there haven't been many), I'm thinking their bookings are high and they're not going to be doing as many promos this year.

Now I will say that I thought the same thing for 2007 and they offered it anyway, so we'll see. I'm probably wrong.

magicofdisney
01-12-2008, 06:53 AM
They've actually already offered free dining for 2008. It was through a bounce back program for those staying on site during last year's promo and booking a return package before checking out. The real question is will they offer this promo to the general public, come April, as they have in the last couple of years.

comicguy
01-12-2008, 09:32 AM
Also remember that the "free" dining window has been slowly narrowing over time.

The first time I used 2 years ago, it was from mid Aug to mid Oct.

Last year it was last week of AuG till the first week of Oct.

The current bounce back promo that was offered to us was for sept only (I am going out on a limb and say if they offer free dining it will be during Sept only).

Which is too bad, as I am a teacher and we go back to school right after Labor Day.

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
01-12-2008, 02:03 PM
Don't forget also that the free dining periods of the past were in prime hurricane season. The free dining was used to increase bookings during a time when travelers were not too excited about going into hurricane country due to Florida getting hit in previous years. It will be interesting to see if it is offered this year as it has now been a few years removed from the last hurricane hits.

Or maybe Iger will pick up the tab for everyone for a couple months with his newly acquired bonus. ;)

BelleCiavo
01-12-2008, 04:35 PM
We have gone in September 4x and there has always been some kind of great deal, kids fly, stay, & play for free, buy 4 days, get 3 free (parks and resort), and then the free dining. Three years in a row was surprising for that discount, but I'm pretty sure if they take it away they will offer something else to replace it.

JCDarzi
01-13-2008, 11:02 PM
We always travel in September and have taken advantage of the last three free dining periods. With our DD4 going into Kindergarten this year, we knew we couldn't take advantage of the bounce back promo with free dining during September. Our schools start here around the first week of August.

We were kinda guessing that with Disney offering it for the bounce back visitors, it probably wouldn't be offered in early spring for fall guests this year as it has in the past.