PDA

View Full Version : Super Mario!

DrWorm2008
01-09-2008, 09:24 PM
Okay video-game junkies....and especially Nintendo fans....here's a poll for ya! Which Mario-based game do you like best? I just started playing Super Mario Galaxy, and it is definitely one of my favorites! :thumbsup:Let me know what you think!

PirateLover
01-10-2008, 01:49 AM
What a tough choice. I voted for Super Mario Bros 3 however. I just think it has the ultimate replay value out of all the games. In fact I've been playing it a lot lately on the virtual consul for Wii. That should tell you something because I still own the orginal Nintendo version, the Super Mario All Stars version for Super Nintendo, and the Super Mario Advance version for Gameboy, yet I bought it again!

A close second for me would be Mario 64 just because I got that game in my "prime" gaming years- meaning I was a preteen with not much else to do in life except play video games. I spent hours upon hours listening to the radio and playing that game. Sometimes when I hear certain 90s songs I get images of specific levels. There was just so much to explore there.

You left out another of my all time faves though (I'm assuming because of poll limitations) and that would be Super Mario RPG: Legend of the 7 Stars for SNES.

The only Mario game I really didn't like was Super Mario Sunshine. I've also grown a distaste for Super Mario Bros 2 after learning that it was a pre-made game from Japan that they slapped Mario characters into.

Oh, also Mario Kart is another fave :cool: I'm pretty sure I've played almost every Mario game out there... including Mario Teaches Typing:blush:

The Reservoir Dog
01-10-2008, 09:52 AM
I was more a Sega then Playsation player in my younger days. (I was never an avid gamer).

However I now have a Wii system and really enjoy Mario Party 8. Easy to play, fairly mindless but good fun.

I have also got Mario & Sonic at the Olympic games. Have only just skipped through a few of the events but it looks like a winner to me.

I really do recommend the Wii system.

DrWorm2008
01-10-2008, 03:45 PM
As soon as I posted the poll, I remembered the Mario RPG. I had forgotten all about it because it was such an unsung gem in the Mario franchise.
As for Mario 3, I do agree that it was a good one....and I also liked Mario 2, but I agree that it was kind of a cheap way to do it. I always wondered why Bowzer never made an apprearance, and who the heck is BIRDO, anyway? Thanks for the enlightenment! :thumbsup:
I LOVE my Wii system and the virtual console....can't get enough of those retro games! (Especially Metroid and Kid Icarus!!!) Super Mario Galaxy is AWESOME, and I'm having a great time working my way through that one, but I also like Super Paper Mario, with the 3-D switch and all....:D

PirateLover
01-10-2008, 04:47 PM
.and I also liked Mario 2, but I agree that it was kind of a cheap way to do it. I always wondered why Bowzer never made an apprearance, and who the heck is BIRDO, anyway? Thanks for the enlightenment! :thumbsup:
Want some more info? Apparently Birdo is a MAN who thinks he's a woman which is why he protects the egg. However in later years nintendo has kind of just made it a girl....

Super Mario Galaxy is AWESOME, and I'm having a great time working my way through that one, but I also like Super Paper Mario, with the 3-D switch and all....:D
Galaxy has grown on me once I got used to it. It has a very similar feel to Mario 64. I love trying to get through games without guides but I'm kind of stuck now. I've opened all the lower level observatories so far.
I also greatly enjoyed Super Paper Mario. I rented it for a week but didn't quite beat it. I may pick it up used at some point.

I also like many of the DS games. Mario and Luigi Partners in Time, New Super Mario Bros.

DisneyFreak23
01-10-2008, 06:40 PM
I voted for Mario Party (i have Mario Party 8) and Super Paper mario (have it too!)

They are both really fun and i like how interactive they are on the Wii.

TiggeRia
01-10-2008, 08:17 PM
My favorite is Mario Kart for the GameCube...does that count? :confused:

DrWorm2008
01-10-2008, 10:34 PM
Want some more info? Apparently Birdo is a MAN who thinks he's a woman which is why he protects the egg. However in later years nintendo has kind of just made it a girl....

Now THAT I did know....tranny birds, huh? :ack:Kind of disturbing....I did like ability to pick up stuff and hurl it across the screen....but there was definitely a LOT of things missing....

PirateLover
01-11-2008, 01:33 AM
My favorite is Mario Kart for the GameCube...does that count? :confused:

Mario Kart Double Dash is the ultimate party game. We had countless nights of fun playing that one with all our friends. It has since been replaced though, first by Mario Party 8 and now by Rock Band. But I'm excited for the Wii Mario Kart. It looks interesting... comes with an actual wheel!

DrWorm2008
01-11-2008, 09:00 AM
Mario Kart Double Dash is the ultimate party game. We had countless nights of fun playing that one with all our friends. It has since been replaced though, first by Mario Party 8 and now by Rock Band. But I'm excited for the Wii Mario Kart. It looks interesting... comes with an actual wheel!

Those were all fun games, and yes, I agree they should have been in the poll. :number1:I guess I never should have put in Sunshine....oh well. I can't wait for Kart to arrive on the Wii ! Hey- as a side note, has anyone seen the previews for "Endless Ocean"? It looks great, and good for kids! I have a six-year-old daughter, and I know she will be all over this!!! :thumbsup:

poeticeclipse
01-11-2008, 09:32 AM
Video game junkie right here! Especially Mario (or Luigi, which I always am).

I voted for Mario 64 but I kept wanting to do Super Mario Brothers (NES) and/or Mario Party. I've had NES and SNES since I was young... really young... like since I was born. haha. I started playing whenever my little hands could hold the controller.

I played Super Mario Brothers first. Loved it. Still do! Then a little while later I played SMB2 at a friends house. Not quite as much fun. When I became friends with now DH, he introduced me to SMB3. What a challenge!! You can't finish that game in 5 minutes like SMB. We've only beat it once and it took us a whole day.

SNES was a big improvement graphics wise. In my opinion it was the biggest graphics jump. The Mario game that came out with SNES was fun because you got Yoshi and the levels themselves were pretty easy to beat until you got about 3/4 of the way through.

64... ahh, my favorite gaming system of all time. I have no idea why! Maybe it's because so many great games came out for that system. Mario 64 was just... awesome. Unlike anything else. That game made me sweat! Mario Party is a family favorite and I don't think i'll like any other Mario Party more than the first one. We have all of them except 2 and 3. We just can't find 'em. I like Mario Party a lot because everyone can play at the same time and the layout is just like a board game so its easy for kids to understand. Plus, they can't go if its not there turn! haha. Mario Kart was really fun. I think it's more fun than Double Dash. The best thing about Double Dash is that you can partner up. DH and I spent a day beating the very final level. So fun!

I don't have a Wii ... yet. I can't wait to get my mits on Mario Party 8 though. Oh, buddy.

Enough sounding like a nerd.

Jeff G
01-11-2008, 09:56 AM
This was such a tough decision as there are so many great Mario titles but in the end the answer was obvious.

Being that Super Mario Bros. came out when I was an early teen and I wasted many an allowance at the arcade trying to get though it this it was my first choice. Compared to all of the other games available in the early 80's SMB was a game that changed everything. I still have it for the Game Boy advance playing it regularly and I still love it.

I've enjoyed a lot of the other titles here but I would say that the game that most reminds me of Super Mario Bros in relation to how great it is is Mario Galaxy. My DD and I have been addicted to this since we picked it up in early December. The game is amazing and the fact that two can play (sort of) makes it better. Every few years I find a game that amazes me and this is one of those. Currently we have 68 out of the 120 coins retrieved and we have beat Bowser. The great thing is every world is new and you never know what to expect. A few nights ago we finally got to the world where you become spring Mario, pretty awesome. The game fits the Wii perfectly as well.

DrWorm2008
01-11-2008, 10:15 AM
Could someone tell me what DD and DH ans DS and all those things mean? I am now officially a "Cast Member" on this site, and I STILL don't know all the acronyms! :mickey:

poeticeclipse
01-11-2008, 11:29 AM
Could someone tell me what DD and DH ans DS and all those things mean? I am now officially a "Cast Member" on this site, and I STILL don't know all the acronyms! :mickey:

DD(Dear Daugher) DH (Dear Husband) DS (Dear Son) or some people say Darling or Disney (like me!) instead of Dear. Okay, so I know that "Disney Husband" makes no sense but any way to drop the word Disney is okay, right?

animalkingdomguy
01-11-2008, 02:19 PM
Mario Bros. is the only one of these I have played.

BelleCiavo
01-12-2008, 10:00 AM
I Love Super Mario Bros., but I think Mario 64 is a wee bit ahead. Mario Galaxy makes me a little :sick:

Have you seen the video on YouTube where someone beats Super Mario in less than 5 minutes? Pretty cool.

poeticeclipse
01-12-2008, 01:30 PM
Has anyone seen the video of the college kids that "performed" Super Mario Bros. at a talent show? Look it up!

PirateLover
01-12-2008, 02:29 PM
Have you seen the video on YouTube where someone beats Super Mario in less than 5 minutes? Pretty cool.
Yes, there is also one of someone beating SMB3 in 11 minutes. Crazyness.

Has anyone seen the video of the college kids that "performed" Super Mario Bros. at a talent show? Look it up!
I've seen this as well. Hilarious stuff.

BelleCiavo
01-12-2008, 04:38 PM

Gordon College. Loved it!

Dracula766
01-15-2008, 11:38 PM
Another vote for Mario 64!!!

I've got Mario Galaxy at the house but just haven't found time to jump into it yet. Soon though, very soon.

I also recommend everybody check out the Super Mario talent show bit. Its brilliant!!! :thumbsup:

DrWorm2008
01-16-2008, 06:46 PM
Another vote for Mario 64!!!

I've got Mario Galaxy at the house but just haven't found time to jump into it yet. Soon though, very soon.

I also recommend everybody check out the Super Mario talent show bit. Its brilliant!!! :thumbsup:
OOOhhhhhh.....you will LOVE Super Mario Galaxy!:thumbsup:

What Super Mario Talent Show bit? Where do you see it?:confused:

RAIDER
01-17-2008, 04:14 AM
I voted for Super Mario 8 party on the wii system
its a good laugh if you want some mindless fun for an hour or so :thumbsup:

DrWorm2008
01-18-2008, 09:11 PM
I voted for Super Mario 8 party on the wii system
its a good laugh if you want some mindless fun for an hour or so :thumbsup:

Definitely true!:thumbsup:

Dracula766
01-18-2008, 09:37 PM
What Super Mario Talent Show bit? Where do you see it?:confused:

head to youtube and search "super mario talent show"

it should be the first one that pops up :thumbsup:

PirateLover
01-19-2008, 01:50 AM
Well I'm now at 50some stars in Galaxy. It has definitely grown on me, and it ranks up there, but I don't think it's as good as 64. Eons better than Sunshine, though, that's for sure!