PDA

View Full Version : Tarzan the Musical: Revamped for 2009!

NotaGeek
01-09-2008, 08:59 PM
According to the Playbill Website: (http://www.playbill.com/news/article/114006.html)

A new stage production of the Disney musical Tarzan — based on the animated film of the same name — will debut in January 2009 at Atlanta's Theater of the Stars before playing several other theatres.

The new production, which will feature the Phil Collins Broadway score and the David Henry Hwang book, will boast direction and choreography by Lynne Taylor-Corbett, scenic design by Kenneth Foy, aerial design by Paul Rubin and lighting design by Ken Billington. Additional members of the creative team will be announced shortly.

Following the Atlanta run, Tarzan will then play the other co-producing theatres: American Musical Theatre of San Jose, CA, at the San Jose Center for the Performing Arts (February); North Carolina Theatre in Raleigh, NC, at the Progress Energy Center (March); and Dallas Summer Musicals in Dallas, TX, at the Music Hall at Fair Park (April).

In a statement Theater of the Stars' Chris Manos (producer) and Nick Manos (president) said, "We are delighted with the collaboration between Theater of the Stars and our three co-producing partners on the stage production of Tarzan. One of the best known stories of all time will once again spring to life on stage with unforgettable music by the legendary Phil Collins. We are excited to introduce this exceptional show to our theatre-loving communities across the country."

DizneyRox
01-10-2008, 07:52 AM
So, they are going on the road with a failed broadway musical?

NotaGeek
01-10-2008, 01:53 PM
So, they are going on the road with a failed broadway musical?

I suppose that's one way to look at it.

Another way to look at it is it's being completely REWORKED so it is more in-tune with the original vision for the production.

And, although a "failed Broadway Musical" it ran for over 2 years and the music was really good ... I hope they make it better and can tour it so I can judge it for myself.

This is kind of the opposite of what they did for The Little Mermaid ... at least Disney learned from the mistakes made with Tarzan. Disney subjected Denver audiences to the really bad 1st few months of Little Mermaid production until they tweaked it enough to take it to Broadway ... lets hope that work in reverse for Tarzan!

ChipnDaleGal
01-13-2008, 07:49 AM
I am very excited about this. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it might add Chicago in on the tour. Thanks for sharing this with us Michael.

Lacy
01-13-2008, 12:23 PM
I think this is a good idea. We all know the music is great and maybe the show will be so much better that it will be successful and maybe even return to Broadway. I'm optimistic.

Having seen The Little Mermaid in Denver, I think it is a great idea to have them play in less prestigious venues. It was nice for our city to have something like that and I'm sure it is good for the performers. However, I am disappointed that The Little Mermaid hasn't been getting better reviews on Broadway. I thought it was great and enjoyed it even more than The Lion King. But I guess everything is a matter of personal preference and taste.