PDA

View Full Version : Airplane carryon rules

AuntDJ
01-09-2008, 03:52 PM
Can carry on things like chips or other snacks? I know we cannot carry sodas or water via the security check point, but was wondering about solid snacks?

Thanks,
DJ

vamaggie
01-09-2008, 04:06 PM
As long as it is not a liquid or gel you can take food on the planes. We often pack snacks (or sandwiches if during lunch/dinner time) to eat on the flight(much cheaper than buying past security!). We also bring some cups with lids and straws for my DD (4) to ease take off and landing. We just fill it up once we are through security (either from the fountain or we buy a bottled water)

ChipDale2708
01-09-2008, 04:07 PM
So far I haven't had any trouble bringing snacks through security. Beverages do need to purchased once you clear security.

mrp4352
01-09-2008, 05:41 PM
I think the food items have to be in original packaging, but they might have relaxed that restriction. You can check the TSA website to make sure...

CleveRocks
01-09-2008, 10:32 PM
I think the food items have to be in original packaging
That was never a rule.

The ONLY food-related prohibited items in carry-ons are liquids, gels and aerosols in containers larger than 3.4 ounces each.

You can bake 5 pounds of brownies at home and take them on the plane with you. You can bring all the chips you want, in any type of packaging, just no dips larger than 3.4 ounces! And no spray cheese in a can! :D

All liquids/gels/aerosols that are small enough to take on the plane with you must fit inside one see-through quart-sized zip-top bag, one such bag per ticketed passenger.