PDA

View Full Version : I need advice please...roommate problem (long)

starryeyes21
01-09-2008, 12:13 PM
My finace is currently living in an apartment that he shares with a roommate. They've been living together since college and, for the most part, everything had been going fine.

The lease on this apartment ends in April. My fiance and I will be moving in together and married shortly after. His rommate is moving in with his current girlfriend. On sunday my finace confronted his roommate about the fact that the girlfriend is always in the apartment. The sticking point is that she's there when her boyfriend is not. My fiance is back to working from home and stated that he didn't want her there anymore when she is alone. That when she gets off of work she needs to find somewhere else to be for the two hours until her boyfriend gets home from his own job.

A long discussion insued, in which it was stated that she could not afford gas and she needed to come to the apartment...blah..blah...blah. She had been unemployed for over a month and was pretty much living there, rarely going home. My finace put his foot down and made the "no" stick.

Yesterday the roommate stated that he is moving out early. My fiance cannot afford a two bedroom apartment by himself, especially since we are planning a wedding. In the end it would cost us and extra 2600 dollars. I told my finace that if his roommate wanted to leave he needed to give us checks that we would cash later to pay the rent or one large check that would cover everything. My fear is that he will leave us high and dry. He has a problem paying bills and has had a collection agency after him several times this year.

I am so afraid that this is going to cause a huge problem. My finace keeps telling me that everything will be fine and that he'll give us the money. All I keep thinking about is every episode of Judge Judy I've ever seen. What can be done if he stiffs us? I've had a knot in my stomach all day about this. I can't believe this is happening. All because this girl didn't get what she wanted and had a tantrum.

You guys are always good with Pixie dust and good advice.....please help.

disneydrmr
01-09-2008, 12:24 PM
My first question would be - whose name is on the lease? Because ultimately THAT is the person responisble to pay the rent. I do hope everything works out for you. Sorry I have no true advice for you... I'm sure someone will be along soon who has had experience in a situation like this before....

bleukarma
01-09-2008, 12:24 PM
I can understand why your fiancé doesn’t want his roommate’s girlfriend over when he’s not around, but is it worth the worry of the roommate moving out early and possibly stiffing you? I think the roommate and his girlfriend are being very childish but your fiancé may want to consider sticking it out for four months with the girlfriend around just for piece of mind that you won’t end up $2600 in the hole right before your wedding. This could cause extreme stress at the beginning of a marriage, probably more stress then having a strange girl in the apartment for 2 hours a day for four months. Maybe your fiancé should go to the roommate and tell him that he doesn’t like the fact that she hangs out here before he gets home but he’s willing to put up with it until the lease is over in April so things can just end amicably between the two of them and everybody doesn’t have the financial stress it will cause. I agree that it's really not fair to your fiance, but I'm just afraid the roomate won't come through with his money and leave you guys in a big bind. :(

It may not be what you wanted to hear, but that’s my :twocents:

Here is some pixie dust for you, hopefully everything will turn out ok in the end!!!!!
:pixie::pixie::pixie:

SBETigg
01-09-2008, 01:28 PM
I think your fears are warranted. Your only option now is to see if he will come through or not. You may end up having to sue to get your money and in that case, it may not be worth it. I think the only thing you can really do is cross your fingers and hope it works out.

:pixie:

jillluvsdisney
01-09-2008, 01:54 PM
I was thinking what Bleukarma said first. I would bite my tongue and hang on the extra four months. I think that's a better alternative than getting stiffed 2600 dollars. We all know the guy isn't going to pay it. Sorry, but I am being realistic here. Even if his name is on the lease, he would still have to be sued for breaking that contract if anyone had any hopes of recovering their losses.

thrillme
01-09-2008, 02:30 PM
It's only for a few more months...then he'll never have to see the girl again.

I'm not sure why he's so opposed to her "hanging out" there. I'm "guessing" there must be some "bad blood" there for some reason.

It is for this very reason that I've never wanted a roommate. I know some people have had good luck but sooner or later something goes wrong.

Personnally I'd grin and bare it. Save up the $2600 just in case (if he defaults you're safe if he doesn't then you'll have a great honeymoon). IF his name is on the lease contact the apartment manager and tell him that HE will NOT renew his lease to keep his name off. If the lease is to be renewed...the manager needs to contact the roommate. Usually apartments require some note of "intent" of whether or not you'll stay or not BEFORE the lease is up.

crazypoohbear
01-09-2008, 04:30 PM
I can see why he doesnt' want her hanging around while no one else is there.
It's not appropriate, he's working and she's sponging and not paying to live there.
It would burn me also.:mad:
Your fiance should tell the girlfriend and the room mate that she can stay for the next four months. but the rent will be divided by 3 now instead of 2! If they don't go for that then...
ask the roommates girlfriend how she would feel if you hung out all the time alone with her boyfriend.
What's good for the goose is good for the gander.
Check out how the lease is written, if BOTH names are on the lease have your fiance call the landlord and tell him that from now on he would be paying his half and the roomie is responsible for his portion.
good luck

J.T.Toad
01-10-2008, 09:34 AM
I had the exact same problem only it was in 1977.
You and your fiance need to start looking for your own place now if not sooner. You don't need to start your life together with these issues on your mind. Remember this "Its only a problem if you can't fix it". So fix it !

Good Luck
JT

starryeyes21
01-15-2008, 01:06 PM
Thanks to everyone for the advice. My fiance's roommate did move out this weekend. Luckily, when my fiance confronted him about breaking the lease early he gave us a check for the full amount. It was way more than I expected.

Things are settling back to normal and, honestly, I think this is the best thing that could have happened to the two of them. They were just kind of existing together and there was alot of tension. When the mooching girlfriend got thrown into the mix things degraded even further.

We'll be moving out on April first into our first home together. I'm just glad we don't have this hanging over our heads anymore. :dance:

SBETigg
01-15-2008, 01:17 PM
Good news! Thanks for the update, and I'm so glad it worked out. Now hurry and cash that check :D.